Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone heard about Wieland's LS1 intake?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone heard about Wieland's LS1 intake?

I was going to buy the ls6 intake that everyone talks about in the forums,but i checked out holley's web site and they have an aluminum intake for the ls1. they say it is made with extra material for porting, and it also comes polished for a little extra (for the style freaks).
Does anyone have one, or know the difference in performance compared to the ls6 intake?
Old 06-06-2003, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Anyone heard about Wieland's LS1 intake?

I think performance would be the same, plus it will heat soak. Not good.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:01 PM
On The Tree

The LPE/Weiland intake may give you a couple more hp. when cool. The problem is it will heat soak much more then the LS6 composite intake and also weighs a ton more. It is a good choice if you going FI or want to port match it with a set of ported heads.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:34 PM
Launching!

You should first check out the LS1 intake made by TPIS which has an "Oval shaped intake hole" for the current LS6 intake. It goes along with their oval designed TB (see: pg at www.tpis.com OR try this link for the 2 pages with the specifics: www.tpis.com/Flash_Source/TopButtons)

If you think about it, the only real way to "open up the intake" is to go with an oval design which is what they did. I am waiting for the price to come down, then I will have one on my 2002 Firehawk.
JC
Old 06-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Launching!

I messed up with the link: It is www.tpis.com and is on pages 126 and 127. If anyone knows of someone else doing this, email me please at Red02Firehawk@sbcglobal.net
JC
Old 06-06-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Veteran

wow...that intake and TB are pretty cool....someone should make that to work with the 80mm BBK.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

That's pretty expensive..especially if you have the stock LS1 intake, you have to pay 900 bucks or find an LS6 intake then give them the 495.00...plus the new TB...but I guess if it's all in the name of HP
Old 06-07-2003, 12:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The unmodded LS6 intake is better than the unmodded Weiand intake. The unmodded Weiand performs better than the LS1 intake.
That's basically how it goes.
The Weiand is easier to mod and has more 'potential' than the others, but that costs money too. Then there are the weight and heat soak issues to think about.
My opinion is that the LS6 intake is the best all around. If you go big cubes with nitrous and have the money for intake modding, the aluminum intake might be for you.
Dave
Old 06-07-2003, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, for the info.
Also, Can you port match the ls6 intake?
Old 06-07-2003, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, mine is, as well as several of my aquaintenances. But, expect to pop a hole or two in the intake while porting if its your first time....thats okay though, epoxy works very well. Of the 4 cars that I know of that have ported LS6 intakes (plastic) we all had a hole or two and patchs have held fine...and were all above 435 rwhp. Cartek offers the service for...I think...$350. No holes from them.
Old 06-08-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS6 IM=good bang for the buck.
LPE/Weiland IM=superior HP but notably more $$
The heat soak debate is still that... a debate. The argument goes something like this: The LPE IM gets quite hot to the touch, thus heat soak issues. However, some argue that it gets hot to the touch because the AL is actually drawing heat away from the block and releasing it. The LS6 IM acts as a "plug" retaining heat due to its composite design. Don't kill the messenger.
Old 06-10-2003, 02:13 PM
Staging Lane

How long does air stay in the intake to heat up at WOT? Has anyone ever measured the speed of air coming into the engine at the TB? I don't think the air has enough time to heat up, but I would like to see some hard data, vice "well everyone says so then it's true" info.