Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cant get the drivers side Hooker/Jet LT on

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 02:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cant get the drivers side Hooker/Jet LT on

Please Help!!! I am trying to get the driver side LT on my 99 TA and cant get it to clear. I tried taking out the steering shaft by unbolting the coupling bolt right there clear as day but the shaft refuses to budge and I am losing patience. Any advice would be a treasured commodity at this point.

Last edited by DevilDog99TA; 10-08-2007 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-08-2007, 02:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pretty sure you need to unbolt one side of the engine and "tilt" it towards the passenger side. This is what I have heard with longtube header installs.
Old 10-08-2007, 03:51 AM
Staging Lane

Does anyone know how to get the steering shaft out?
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

Try grinding the casting tab down on the drivers side (about an 1/8 inch), it should give you enough clearance to slide the DS header up without having to mess with the steering shaft (that's what I did with my Paceseters)
Old 10-08-2007, 08:03 PM
Staging Lane

my hookers required nothing to be remived but the plug wires. get a friend and have him try. different minds help
Old 10-08-2007, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I have had a buddy helping me and we have determined the way to get them in will be to remove the steering shaft. I have removed the bol at the top of the shaft and the bottom as well but the shaft will not budge. Is there a trick to getting this damned thing out?
Old 10-09-2007, 05:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by DevilDog99TA
I have had a buddy helping me and we have determined the way to get them in will be to remove the steering shaft. I have removed the bol at the top of the shaft and the bottom as well but the shaft will not budge. Is there a trick to getting this damned thing out?

Bolt the steering shaft back up you don't need to remove it!! I just completed an install on my car with the same headers. Remove all sparkplugs from the car and pull it in from the top. This is how I got mine in. I tried to remove my steering shaft to with no luck. Put them in from the bottom but pull them in from the top. You might have to pull a little hard to get them in but they will go..
Old 10-09-2007, 11:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I installed my Jet Hots, I had to grind off a little tab on the block. After that they slid right in, from the bottom.
Old 10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I installed my Jet Hots, I determined the squeeze point at the angle I was entering at was the wheel well. I took a look at the k-member, steering shaft, block, and it wasn't hitting any of those points.

I used a floor jack to lift the header, and lubed both the header and well with WD-40. It popped right through with little effort (not even a full lever on the jack).

I did unbolt the shaft as well, but that wasn't the choke point. I unbolted the lower bolt, if that makes sense. You may need to turn the wheel.

This is the first time I read about tilting your engine. **** that.
Old 10-09-2007, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

I didn't have to take the shaft off for my LT's either. It was a struggle getting the drivers side in, but after 10 mins of cussing and pulling it eventually came through. Try working it up from different angles. Mine was hitting on either the block or k-member, can't remember which. I'm pretty sure there was a tab on the block that was getting in the way. My steering shaft wasn't an issue at all.
Old 10-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Banned

Remove the oil tab above your oil filter for a smidge more of clearance. Some oil will leak out but no much. 1oz. or so. There are 2 bolts on the bottom of the steering shaft and 1 on top...use a pry bar and push it up towards the brake booster...give it a turn left and right from the steering wheel, hit it with the pry bar it will come off the bottom..., viola! Putting in from the top would require removal of the fuel lines, more work IMO. Either way good luck installing those nice A$$ headers bro.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

No need for prying anything or pulling the engine to one side...I have done 3 installs and all with pretty much ease...For the drivers side I found that pointing the collector pretty much towards the ground works best...The hookers were a little easier than the QTP's...The steering shaft shouldn't have to be removed but I did it anyway...1 bolt on the top and bottom...Just turn the wheel till you can get the bottom bolt with a long extension and universal...Good luck...

Kev
Old 10-09-2007, 04:38 PM
Launching!

I had a similiar problem installing my jet hots on my car! I just ground down the tab on the block and it slipped right in! Just my .02 cents but good luck!
Old 10-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Camaro01SS4life
No need for prying anything or pulling the engine to one side...I have done 3 installs and all with pretty much ease...For the drivers side I found that pointing the collector pretty much towards the ground works best...The hookers were a little easier than the QTP's...The steering shaft shouldn't have to be removed but I did it anyway...1 bolt on the top and bottom...Just turn the wheel till you can get the bottom bolt with a long extension and universal...Good luck...

Kev
Once you removed the top and bottom bolts, how did you get the shaft out? I have tried yanking on that thing and it doesnt want to budge.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did you get it in?
Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1_bad_TA
Pretty sure you need to unbolt one side of the engine and "tilt" it towards the passenger side. This is what I have heard with longtube header installs.
thats what i did and it worked
Old 10-15-2007, 04:30 PM
Staging Lane

ive done two header installs sucessfully, what you need to do is to turn the wheel, then slide the shaft off the top portion of the assembly, then you rotate the lower portion of the assembly until it sliudes off, you will want another person to help you with this
Old 10-15-2007, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Im no expert but in doing a set of Kooks and set of Pace Setter, it was super easy to undo 4 bolts, lift motor ever so slightly. This took all of I think 10 minutes and saves a lot of frustration and by far the easiest thing to move compared to steering shaft or the grinding down of a tab
Old 10-15-2007, 10:01 PM

I had to tilt my engine to get mine in as well.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eriks02z
I had to tilt my engine to get mine in as well.
No offense dude, but thats overkill.