Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why Does my Car feel slower?

Old 10-10-2007, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Does my Car feel slower?

Ok over the last week I've done a series of things to my car and I was wondering if anyone can point this out?

About 2 weeks ago I installed a catch can, It has some oil in it, which is good and i can't see any going into the intake manifold.

about a week after that, my battery slid into my coolant level sensor, and knocked it off, I lost all my coolant, car ran hot for a min but not past that 3rd line on the gauge never near the red, I had a coolant flush and it is full and runs normal now, i also installed a year one battery tie down.

Then I raced someone, Car felt strong, and good.

Then i Installed C6 Replica Wheels, the manufacturer told me they weigh 25lbs each, my stock SS wheels (10 spokes) weighed 22lbs each so they are a little heavier but, I didn;t think it would be enough to weigh me down, perhaps the manufacturer lied? I bought these used and they are straight, but it took like 7 ounces of weight ot balance out the rear tires.

I usually Trap 140-150MPH on this one mile straight, Well now i can only trap 130.

Also after i'm running it hard and coming to a stop, I smell Oil burning, I've never smelled this before.

One of my A.I.R. Blockoff plates may be leaking but would that slow me down?

would it be the tires? they are all balance out to 0 but I'm lost.

Last edited by EvilCamaroSS; 10-10-2007 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Launching!

the more i think about it the more i lean twords the rims/tires
Old 10-11-2007, 12:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If the rims/tires have a higher total heigh than the oriinal tires on the car and you have tuned the car for the new tire siz, then your speedometer will be reading slower than your actually going. The faster you go, the more the speedometer will be off. So that may be at least a part of the problem.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:36 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well my car (mostly in cold weather) feels slower some days and feels faster some other days! i have the slp timing advance and that is higher risk for detnation so i think i get retard timing someties and my car feels slower! so 4 u since u have a 98 i think u have the real false knock sensor problem!! get it fixed!! get power!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
If the rims/tires have a higher total heigh than the oriinal tires on the car and you have tuned the car for the new tire siz, then your speedometer will be reading slower than your actually going. The faster you go, the more the speedometer will be off. So that may be at least a part of the problem.

they are the same size wheels and tires.
Old 10-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ae13291
well my car (mostly in cold weather) feels slower some days and feels faster some other days! i have the slp timing advance and that is higher risk for detnation so i think i get retard timing someties and my car feels slower! so 4 u since u have a 98 i think u have the real false knock sensor problem!! get it fixed!! get power!!!

my car is tuned though.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
my car is tuned though.
well then its all in your head
Old 10-11-2007, 12:31 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

A heavier wheel will take more power to spin. Why do you think drag wheels are made so lite? OF course the heavier wheel is effecting it.

power to weight ratio isn't just an urban legend and adding weight directly to the drivetrain will eat some power
Old 10-11-2007, 06:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
A heavier wheel will take more power to spin. Why do you think drag wheels are made so lite? OF course the heavier wheel is effecting it.

power to weight ratio isn't just an urban legend and adding weight directly to the drivetrain will eat some power
lets take this into consideration, Stock SS wheel = 22lbs C6 Replicas = 25lbs 25-22 = 3lbs per wheel = 12lbs the multiplication factor is every 1lb of wheels = 4lbs of normal weight 3x4 = 12 12x4 = 48 having these wheels is like putting 50lbs in the car, Not nearly enough to slow me down 10mph, thanks for trying though.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

the wheels still dont explain the smell of burnung oil.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
+1......
Old 10-11-2007, 07:00 PM
TECH Resident

if it was me and i was havin this trouble.. i would run it ***** out with the catch can and takje it off for a run to see if there was a difference...
Old 10-11-2007, 07:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by EvilCamaroSS
lets take this into consideration, Stock SS wheel = 22lbs C6 Replicas = 25lbs 25-22 = 3lbs per wheel = 12lbs the multiplication factor is every 1lb of wheels = 4lbs of normal weight 3x4 = 12 12x4 = 48 having these wheels is like putting 50lbs in the car, Not nearly enough to slow me down 10mph, thanks for trying though.
There is a difference between dead weight on the body of the car and adding weight to the crank. You added weight directly to the crank. Is it enough to make 10mph, maybe not but don't discount it with your formula. Its direct parasitic loss wich your formula doesnt account for. Heavier wheel with the same power = less speed in the 1/4

Smell of burning oil slows you down how? If you smell oil burning it most likely is on the header or block somewhere and it is not going to slow you down. Your car eating oil through the intake will but you wont smell that smell of burning oil. Your so smart you figure it out for yourself. Parasitic loss is the term you need to research. I'm out of this thread.
Old 10-11-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

smell of burning oil and you just installed a cath can . . . . you and i both know what i'll suggest. check the catch can for any leaks
Old 10-12-2007, 07:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

A leaking AIR block off plate would allow false air to get into the exhaust before the O2 sensors and could cause a problem there.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Launching!

Could be a vaccum leak caused by the catch can? I've heard of the cheaper, universal ones causing problems with not sealing properly.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

i think maybe my clutch is slipping at higher RPM's I'll have to investigate
Old 10-15-2007, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
There is a difference between dead weight on the body of the car and adding weight to the crank. You added weight directly to the crank. Is it enough to make 10mph, maybe not but don't discount it with your formula. Its direct parasitic loss wich your formula doesnt account for. Heavier wheel with the same power = less speed in the 1/4

Smell of burning oil slows you down how? If you smell oil burning it most likely is on the header or block somewhere and it is not going to slow you down. Your car eating oil through the intake will but you wont smell that smell of burning oil. Your so smart you figure it out for yourself. Parasitic loss is the term you need to research. I'm out of this thread.
I agree I've just given you the formula to calculate how much added weight in the wheels translates into dead weight in the vehicle, adding 3lbs per wheel is like throwing a 48lb bag of sand in the car evenly distributed. again, not enough to slow you down 10MPH, I see you have alot of posts but, this is something you need more research on.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Where did you get your "3lb on the wheels = 12lbs in the car"?

is that something you've made up, heard somewhere, or actually DID the math on?

EDIT- and you can't actually do math on that unless you know where the weight was added. Was it added in the tires, far away from the point of rotation, or in the spokes, closer to point of rotation? Tire weight would have a lot more impact on rotational mass than wheel weight.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default oil change

Originally Posted by noxiouSS
did you change your oil recently?

Search this Thread