Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange issue mid track cutout

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Strange issue mid track cutout

Ok guys I need some sanity checks here. Went to the LSX event this weekend and couldnt get the car to make a clean pass at all. It would sputter towards the end of the track. (www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/lsxrun2.wmv) you can hear it in that video. RPM curve in the logs looks like a saw. Im getting crank position sensor codes. The battery doesnt seem to be charging as well as it should, i.e. the runs are all made slightly above the orange lines on the voltage meter. AFR is great, timing looks accurate. I reflashed the pcm with 3 different tunes. The cutout doesnt happen in the burnout box or right off the line. Its usually about half track when it starts cutting out. It feels like a miss but the PCM isnt detecting a miss.

The codes lead me to believe that its an electrical issue. Looking through the logs the crank position sensor is in all of them, but in a couple I got TPS performance and knock sensor performance. Im trying to find what is common among all of those.

Here is some background infromation on what occured between my last solid run (in st. louis) and the shootout event.

1. Change spark plugs.
2. Installed a coldfusion nitrous heater (replacing a NX one)
3. Wired a push button horn
4. Installed the body control module so the turn signals work
5. relocated the wire from the back of the alt and ran it to the positve/battery side of the kill switch (so pushing the kill switch kills the car)

Links to the EFI Logs

www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/lsx.efi
www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/lsx2.efi
www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/lsx3.efi
www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/TS1.efi
www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/TS2.efi
www.fast-ta.com/lsxshootout/TS3.efi

I think the battery charge and the pcm codes are different issues. I cant see where my crank position sensor would fault out with voltage like that, especially at half track.

Ideas?
Old 10-16-2007, 02:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a grounding issue, or you could be blowing out the spark on your plugs if they are gapped to far apart
Old 10-16-2007, 03:08 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought about the grounding issue, but I havent been able to find a lose ground. If I was blowing out the spark would I throw a crank postion sensor code (P0336). I checked the ground on the back of the driver cylinder head and that seems good. Where do the knock sensors, crank sensor, tps sensor ground to?
Old 10-16-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by White2000TA
I thought about the grounding issue, but I havent been able to find a lose ground. If I was blowing out the spark would I throw a crank postion sensor code (P0336). I checked the ground on the back of the driver cylinder head and that seems good. Where do the knock sensors, crank sensor, tps sensor ground to?
i believe they all ground on the back of the head, make sure that the wire isnt corroded on the inside of the insulation as well