Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drilling Lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drilling Lid

Hey guys,

I just received my air lid from MTI. However, it does not already have the hole cut out for the air sensor. Where should I drill the hole and what size cut out should I make it?

Thanks
Old 10-16-2007, 06:33 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Air sensor?

Do you mean the IAC sensor? Or the AIR pump hose?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

The IAC sensor. Sorry for the confusion. It is a 99 Z28.

There is no hole cut out for it, so I have to do it myself it seems.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by CranMaro99
Hey guys,

I just received my air lid from MTI. However, it does not already have the hole cut out for the air sensor. Where should I drill the hole and what size cut out should I make it?

Thanks
I know I will get crap for this but if you are not running cats then the air should be deleted. As far as the AIT just get a Delphi 85mm MAF along with the wiring adapter and you will not have to worry about drilling any holes. Getting a larger MAF will cause the need for a tune.

I myself still have the AIR since I run cats but pluged the hole of my SLP lid with a plastic grommet and some epoxy which turned out pretty clean looking.

Last edited by ssgunny; 10-17-2007 at 08:59 AM. Reason: It is IAT and not IAC.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You mean the IAT sensor? Seen posts where they forgot to drill the hole before. Measure the hole on the stock lid, drill it in about the same location, then transfer the grommet/sensor to the new lid.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28
You mean the IAT sensor? Seen posts where they forgot to drill the hole before. Measure the hole on the stock lid, drill it in about the same location, then transfer the grommet/sensor to the new lid.
Thanks man, that is what I planned on doing, but I didn't know if this was a common thing where people already had info like exact size etc.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where do you get the adapter for the maf sensor
Old 10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMONEY06
where do you get the adapter for the maf sensor
If you are talking about the adapter for the larger Delphi MAF's I purchased mine through Caspers (a site sponsor). I know there are a few other sponsors on here that sell it also. I thinks it looks better with the adapter on instead of having the sensor in the neck of the lid.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:44 AM
On The Tree

I ordered TWO lids, and both came NOT pre-drilled. Right, he's talking about the IAT sensor with the rubber grommet. Usually, people order a set from GM. But i think they charge somewhere around 30 DOLLARS! Just take ur time, and pull your rubber grommet out of your stock lid. I used a really thin drill to put a hole in it and made several little holes around, then just filed it down with any filer or even sand paper. It took me about 30 mins cuz my drill kept running out of power. But take your time and every now and then see if your Rubber piece fits....

Remove your stock lidbox, and put your clear lid in its place, line it up with the tabs, and just put it up with the MAF (as if your installing it), then just mark where you think is a good spot. Even if your off by a whole inch or 1 1/2 inches, the wire is long enough to spare a few.

Just so you know though, it is an 11/32's hole. Hope that helps.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ophee
I ordered TWO lids, and both came NOT pre-drilled. Right, he's talking about the IAT sensor with the rubber grommet. Usually, people order a set from GM. But i think they charge somewhere around 30 DOLLARS! Just take ur time, and pull your rubber grommet out of your stock lid. I used a really thin drill to put a hole in it and made several little holes around, then just filed it down with any filer or even sand paper. It took me about 30 mins cuz my drill kept running out of power. But take your time and every now and then see if your Rubber piece fits....

Remove your stock lidbox, and put your clear lid in its place, line it up with the tabs, and just put it up with the MAF (as if your installing it), then just mark where you think is a good spot. Even if your off by a whole inch or 1 1/2 inches, the wire is long enough to spare a few.

Just so you know though, it is an 11/32's hole. Hope that helps.
Freakin' awesome man. Thanks a lot for your help!

I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same thing happened to me just did exactly what ophee did, just kept using progressively bigger drill bits until i could get the grommet in there....

getting the grommet out of the stock lid was a bitch tho, using soap and water and prying hardcore with a knife finally popped it out....
Old 10-17-2007, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

I used a paddle bit. Exact size and perfectly round - takes 3-4 seconds.
Old 10-17-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try using a unibit like this, its stepped so you can progressively go bigger as needed

Old 10-17-2007, 02:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys!