Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers!!!!!!

I am buying a set of SLP Longtubes and i hear that you only need to buy one O2 Extension cuz one of the sides doesnt need one, is this true?
Old 10-17-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure about the extentions, but you may want to pick another header. The SLPs seem to make the least power and have poor ground clearance. Even some cheapy pacesetters will fit much better and produce more power.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:05 PM
On The Tree

Are they much harder to install than others?
Old 10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
Banned

Ohh god not SLP's. Save your money and get a set of stainless edelbrock LT's.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Explain to me y arent SLP's good i thought they were top of the line!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

I never heard that they are poor flowing, always heard they just hang lower than the rest. The are always stainless steel so they will last longer than your car. They also get ragged on for the price but almost everything slp is overpriced.
Old 10-17-2007, 06:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Nasty275SS
You gotta love that; somone complains about a part, warns you to not even get close to it and then doesn't tell you why.

I have heard that the fitment isn't the best and they tend to hang lower then most LT's.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:00 PM
On The Tree

But, Horsepower wise, They're the same as the others!!!
Old 10-17-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes you should expect about the same gains maybe alittle more than the cheaper brands such as pacesetter.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Staging Lane

You guys are funny. None of you own a set of SLP's. But are experts on them. They flow just as much as any other LT Header. Some are slightly better some are worse. They're stainless and will last longer than your beloved Pacesetters. Especially if you live north. They hang lower under the car. They fit fine other than that. They don't bang the bottom of the car. Mine is lowered about an inch. Have hit them on a speed bump once in the 7 years they have been on the car. They still look new. Those are the facts. Would I buy them again. Maybe not. Just because I would like a little more clearance under the car. Although the truedual set ups that dump in front of the axle hang a whole lot lower than these headers and nobody screams foul on them. If you can get a good deal on them, which you probably can because people are so scared to buy them because of the internet racers. Also I installed them by myself and didn't have any problems and they don't leak. There you go. Been on the car since their introduction to the market. They were the only stainless header out at the time so I didn't have as much choice as you guys have.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

Thank you, Thats what i wanted was the facts. Cuz i figured they were fine besides the little bit of clearance issues. So, they werent hard to install, just remove coilpacks,plugwires,n maybe oil filter?
Old 10-17-2007, 08:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have slp lts and like everyone has stated above the major issue with tthem is ground clearance. i scrape a lot, stock height, daily driver. the passenger side collectors are flat. luckily they came with the car...if i had the choice i woulda bought a set that had a better clearance, and sacrificed a couple hp...which ur not gunna even notice.

i think theres a sponsor on here in the classifieds selling hooker lts for about $400shipped. checkem out.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nasty275SS
they are way over rated and dont come close to making 41 hp like they say
Old 10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the SLP's and am getting rid of them, they are too low I cant go over any speed bumps uless it is at an EXTREME angle and VERY VERY slow, no my car is not lowered. They seem fine in the flow dept, my car made good power with them. If your car is lowered for sure go with something else, if not you are going to scrape a good bit. I dont like the y pipe fitment either. I keep having 02 problems and im thinking that it may be the headers being so long. I have my car tuned also. I am switching to ARH's and calling it a day, between the 02's issues, being too low, and the poor y pipe fitment (too low) that rubs on the DS saftey loop im tired of them. on the good side they are stainless and coasted, they still look as purdy as the day they went in.

Jon
Old 10-18-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

I've heard nothing but bad things about them... I'd recommend going with a different brand... don't see any good reason why not...?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

DO NOT GET SLP HEADERS! they are worthless for ground clearance, a buddy of mine has them and with 3 of us in the car we can squash a bug on the ground with the bottom of the headers. there's also another thread on this about 2 "heavy set" dudes who hate them also. they sound good and are made well but that's it. my buddy actually has to replace his because there no longer 3 inch after all the times he has hit lol
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are my facts from a real SLP header guy:

I'd been using the SLP LTs since they were introduced, and just like toplessZ stated, they were all that were available at the time...stainless steel & coated.

My Trans AM was stock height when the headers went in, they hung a bit low, but wasnt much of a problem. But them I went ahead and lower the car, about 1 1/2". I've been scrapping ever since.

After a few years of scrapping, they got beat up enough as to where I bought a new set of Kooks. They were just installed last week and they tuck up much nicer (compared to the SLPs).

The tone of the car is has changed, but still nice, and a ton of new found ground clearance! I have not re-dyno'ed the car for new numbers, but I doubt there was any HP gains, since I went with the 1 3/4" size (same as the SLPs).
Old 10-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG BAD BLACKSS
Not sure about the extentions, but you may want to pick another header. The SLPs seem to make the least power and have poor ground clearance. Even some cheapy pacesetters will fit much better and produce more power.
I guarantee you SLP headers will make more power than Pacesetter headers. Pacesetters are the junkiest headers you can buy in terms of performance outside of maybe Flowtech's. Pacesetters are really small for a longtube. I can't see them outperforming any other longtube on the market, not with that design and their crummy collectors.

If you're willing to fork out the money for SLP's, money obviously isn't an issue, so I would recommend QTP's. Their design is awesome and they make more power than practically every other brand out there thanks to their awesome merge collectors (the best in the business.)

Good fit and awesome ground clearance, too.

Old 10-18-2007, 02:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
I guarantee you SLP headers will make more power than Pacesetter headers. Pacesetters are the junkiest headers you can buy in terms of performance outside of maybe Flowtech's. Pacesetters are really small for a longtube. I can't see them outperforming any other longtube on the market, not with that design and their crummy collectors.

If you're willing to fork out the money for SLP's, money obviously isn't an issue, so I would recommend QTP's. Their design is awesome and they make more power than practically every other brand out there thanks to their awesome merge collectors (the best in the business.)

Good fit and awesome ground clearance, too.

Where do you get this stuff from? Every time I read one of your posts you are swinging on the nuts of QTP. Please explain your reasoning behind your constant rants. Have you even compared designs? The pacesetters are very similar to Hooker/Jethot headers. SLP headers advertise equal length primaries, but do so at the expense of a highway of bends and turns. Please show evidence that the QTP mass produced chinese collectors are better than other merge collectors on the market.

Last edited by BackinBlack02SS; 10-18-2007 at 02:55 PM.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:10 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BackinBlack02SS
Where do you get this stuff from? Every time I read one of your posts you are swinging on the nuts of QTP. Please explain your reasoning behind your constant rants. Have you even compared designs? The pacesetters are very similar to Hooker/Jethot headers. SLP headers advertise equal length primaries, but do so at the expense of a highway of bends and turns. Please show evidence that the QTP mass produced chinese collectors are better than other merge collectors on the market.
What do you mean "where do I get this stuff from?" Have you ever seen Pacesetter headers compared to higher end header? I've seen Pacesetters next to a set of Edelbrocks and the Pacesetters looked like cheap little toys. They were so incredibly small and cheap looking, I had to laugh.

What do you speak of "at the expense of bends and turns"? SLP longtubes are a longer header than some other brands. That is good. The longer the header the better. Do you know what the scavenging effect is? If you had a clue about the scavenging effect, you'd know that you need longer tubing in order to make power down low. Did you know shorty headers will make about as much power as longtubes way up top if it was possible for our engines to rev to 10,000 rpms? The longer the tubes of the headers are, the more power you'll make lower in the powerband. And equal length is ALWAYS better than non-equal length.

I've seen merge collectors compared with each other. Out of the high end headers, QTP, Kooks, Edelbrock stainless and ARH, the QTP collector is vastly superior to the Kooks for starters, no question. I'm not a big fan of the Edelbrock stainless headers because, I believe, they come in race only, the collectors are too big and would require the use of a reducer cone in most applications, they're not nearly as clean looking as the QTP's and they don't come fully welded I believe, not a big deal but it's just another thing that requires more time and effort. The only header that gives QTP's merge collectors a run for its money is the ARH collector, and the QTP collector, simply put, is put together better in every comparison I've seen. It's a larger merge collector with a smoother transition.

I say what I say because I've done enough comparisons and studied the competition enough. That's why I choose to support what I support. What's it to you? Care to prove me wrong in anything I've said? And do you have any proof the QTP's use "Chinese collectors"? Or are you full of ****?