Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burning oil smell and oil residue on top of intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 09:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Burning oil smell and oil residue on top of intake

I just installed a LS6 intake about 1 week ago and lately i've been smelling burning oil when i stop at a light and sit and then take off....so tonight when i got back from the meet I popped the hood and took a closer look, on top of the intake around a few of the injectors there is a oil residue, but there is no leaks all the way around the intake.......my question is, if it were the injector o-rings that were leaking why would there be oil on top of the motor and not fuel, car runs fine, has good pressure and everything.....im just worried about the oil on TOP of the intake and how it got there....any suggestions
Old 10-18-2007, 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

not sure but it could be a pcv issue. check your pcv system and see if it is venting anywhere
Old 10-18-2007, 05:34 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you installed the LS6 intake did you change the coolant lines under the intake. The Ls6 intake is deeper than the LS1 so requires the collant pipes to be changed. If you didn't this would either crack the intake when you torque it down or it would have a vacuum leak around the intake ports.

I do end up with oil in my intake even with a new PCV valve and a catch can. But have never smelt an oily smell from it.
Old 10-18-2007, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

yes I did swap out the coolant lines and the PCV system is hooked up and not leaking, it only has residue around certain injectors..idk what the deal is, its not enough to be concerned about but I still would like to know where the residue is coming from.
Old 10-18-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

id say clean the area really well and see what happens, sometimes doing work @ the motor oily hands and other stuff can get spilled and it can smell whem burning off gettin hot
Old 10-18-2007, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm... ya know, I had to pull my fuel rails a few weeks back when I had to swap my pushrods... I've noticed a whistling noise and a smal amount of oil sprayed on the underside of my hood... I wonder if that would be an injector o-ring issue?
Old 10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

right now ive got the same problem as the o.p. i havent done the ls6 swap yet, but i found that my prblem was a ripped pcv line that runs behind the intake. made the smell at drive thrus pretty bad. thats my only suggestion. that line is pretty hard to see, so check it
Old 10-18-2007, 01:01 PM
TECH Addict

i didn't change my coolant lines and no problems yet, about 3 months ago. rough driven daily
Old 10-22-2007, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

well the residue isn't getting worse and now all I smell is gas cuz of the LT's without a tune....still haven't tracked down the problem yet..nothing is ripped, or unplugged, or loose....idk guys...im thinking the old o-rings on the injectors are dried up and not sealing well.

Quick Reply: Burning oil smell and oil residue on top of intake