Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start

I went to my car today after work and it fired up and instantly died, tried again same thing just fire than dies out. The third time it started and ran fine no SES light or anything. My security light has been on for a month but no real problems yet. I thought if it was the VATS is would not even crank. Where should I look for a culprit. Im going on a long road trip and Im a little paranoid now.
Old 10-17-2007, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xlr857
I went to my car today after work and it fired up and instantly died, tried again same thing just fire than dies out. The third time it started and ran fine no SES light or anything. My security light has been on for a month but no real problems yet. I thought if it was the VATS is would not even crank. Where should I look for a culprit. Im going on a long road trip and Im a little paranoid now.
simplest thing first...CHECK THE TERMINALS FOR CORROSION..hehe had the same thing happen to me....
Old 10-17-2007, 11:53 PM
9 Second Club

Its the vats locking you out. Mesaure the resistance on your key and bypass it.
Old 10-20-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I had a similar problem...but I also have the GM second edition manuals If its a VATS issue, the car will crank but wont start. Thats because the resistance in the key is measured only for starting which allows the fuel injectors to fire. If the resistance is not right (key is dirty or more likely the terminals are corroded) the injectors will never fire. Push the shrader valve on the fuel rail with your finger to see if they have fuel...my fired for a second also and after that I had no more fuel in the rails. Is the security light flashing or is it off? If its vats related you have to wait 3-5 minutes between start attempts for the VATS to reset or you wont get anywhere. Give as much info as you can regaurding the light, key and contact condition and clean your MAF.

Good luck