Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Read this before trying to change intake.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Intake Read this before trying to change intake.

Everywhere i read be careful not to break the oil pressure sending switch while changing your intake...everyone it seems does it the first time. Well i read it a hundred times and just changed mine and guess what i broke?

For those who might follow me on this i'm going to try and shed some light on this so you don't see the same issues. The problem comes when the rubber hose from the brake booster is disconnected from the brake booster only. You can not reach behind the intake easily to get it off the back so i see three options for the rest of you...

1. Spend the time and attempt to get the hose over the top of the sensor or around the sensor. (Not sure that's possible)

2. Move the intake very slightly forward once the bolts are removed. And then attempt to remove the hose from the back of the intake. (I find this unlikely the first time you do this as well and even when it was off the car that hose was very snug on the intake)

3. Buy the sensor and just flat out no give a sh**t when you do snap it in half. That is in my opinion the best way.

Don't let this stop your install, buy the sensor and plan on changing it. Trust me it is very easy to break. I was forewarned and i broke mine. Now tomorrow i have to find one on a Sunday so that i can put the car back together.
Old 10-21-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Resident

idk.. Ive had my intake off 3 times without a problem... my buddy has had his off at least that many times. and I helped a guy take one off not too long ago without a problem either....... **** happens though..
Old 10-21-2007, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

When I changed my knock sensors mine came off without breaking. Like you stated above you have to work the hose over the sensor while bringing it forward. Some people aren't capable of it or just don't have the patience.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:16 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think if people take there time its not an issue...
Old 10-21-2007, 08:50 AM
Tough Mudder

I break that bastard just about every time I pull off an intake.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:35 AM
TECH Resident

I found it best to buy the oil pressure sending unit socket and place it on the sending unit while removing the intake. If you make sure somebody watches it and doesnt allow it to come off it forces you to avoid breaking the sending unit (because the sending unit gives and will break when pressure is applied to it, whereas the socket wont).
Old 10-21-2007, 11:30 AM
12 Second Club

First, take out all the intake bolts you can and use about 1 inch of vacuum hose to hold up the rest of the bolts to where they will clear the heads. Then, all you have to do is reach your hand down the driver's side of the intake and lift the hose over the sensor before you pull the intake. It is easy to tell when you clear the sensor. Simply lift the front of the intake with the throttle body and the rear with the brake hose about 1 inch then pull the intake forward. It really is that easy.

Galen
Old 10-21-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BLK02TA
When I changed my knock sensors mine came off without breaking. Like you stated above you have to work the hose over the sensor while bringing it forward. Some people aren't capable of it or just don't have the patience.
I had to change the knock sensors as well and all was fine...
Old 10-21-2007, 02:29 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Galen
First, take out all the intake bolts you can and use about 1 inch of vacuum hose to hold up the rest of the bolts to where they will clear the heads. Then, all you have to do is reach your hand down the driver's side of the intake and lift the hose over the sensor before you pull the intake. It is easy to tell when you clear the sensor. Simply lift the front of the intake with the throttle body and the rear with the brake hose about 1 inch then pull the intake forward. It really is that easy. Galen
Right. The key is to lift the intake as little as possible and remove it by pulling it forward. If you try to remove it by pulling it up, you'll break the sensor.

I found it most helpful to have a second pair of hands gingerly feeding the hose through as I pulled it forward.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

ive broken one sending unit out of 5 swaps. the last swap i did i got irritated and wasnt thinkin and broke the unit.

although its a lil difficult use the socket and it wont break off. two sets of hands are good too.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:38 AM
Teching In

Well now that i have done it and seen it and gotten totally F-ed over by it happening to me i can guarantee it will never ever happen again.

I just think that for the person who is doing it the first time it is still very possible even with warning to break it so you should have the sensor onhand anyways.

Anyways LS6 intake is now installed, except for the getting the back bolts out and the broken sensor it was relatively easy. Seems like a nice power gain too with that mod although i would have to get the car dynoed to be sure but i feel a noticeable difference.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:41 AM
9 Second Club

I have broke 1. But the sender was super brittle! It litery fell apart in my hands. So I didnt feel bad about it.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not an issue if you unplug the connector the hose will go over top the sensor no problem. the issue is on some cars its pluged in infront of the brake hose some its plugged in with the wire behind the hose.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

Niuce writeup...I haven't broken mine yet...don't know if that means I'm patient or good at doing it or both but I never seemed to have a problem. I think people just aren't taking their time.
Old 10-22-2007, 11:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ShiznityZ28
Its not an issue if you unplug the connector the hose will go over top the sensor no problem. the issue is on some cars its pluged in infront of the brake hose some its plugged in with the wire behind the hose.
True enough. But it's awful hard to see back there and to know what you're doing unless you've been there before. You're going by feel and that's where two sets of hands really come in handy.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SidewayzOZ
I found it best to buy the oil pressure sending unit socket and place it on the sending unit while removing the intake. If you make sure somebody watches it and doesnt allow it to come off it forces you to avoid breaking the sending unit (because the sending unit gives and will break when pressure is applied to it, whereas the socket wont).
This is actually a great idea. I fiddled with the vacuum hose and its not around that sensor anymore so if mine comes off again it wont be an issue
Old 10-23-2007, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

I'm gonna be taking off my LS1 intake tonight or tomorrow depending on when my brother can come by to help with that extra set of hands. Wish me luck!