Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan/overheating problem.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fan/overheating problem.

yesterday i did the manual fan mod where you wire a toggle to the engine compartment fuse box. Thus manually activating the low speed fans upon request. In the fuse box you pull the FAN #1 fuse and run the wire to make contact w/ the fuse. Install and there you go, fan switch!! sounds great...Ok now my car overheated for the first time being that I didn't run the fan switch in which i understood wasn't nessesary to always run. The factory fans are supposed to come on after reaching a certain temp. right? There is also a noticable hiss like the a/c compressor is trying to kick on. What could be the culprit? When should the fans properly come? any input is appreciated.
Old 10-21-2007, 05:49 PM
On The Tree

Default Update

UPDATE: I found out why my car overheated. NO fan power whatsoever! checked the fuse box in the engine compartment and the 10Amp fuse powering the COOL FAN was blown(small red fuse). Then I started retracing my footsteps and found the 30Amp in-line fuse merging the wire and toggle switch was blown also. Too much heat in the line? How do I go about curing the problem? I would like to keep the manual fan switch mod. Maybe I should just get the SLP fan switch. Any ideas? Thanx again
Old 10-22-2007, 05:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Just get the Slp switch. It's basically a plug and play so you don't gotta worry about shorting stuff out. And at like $65 bucks it's pretty cheap IMO.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ahree the SLP switch is the way to go..