Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top end engine cleaner and oil change?

Old 06-11-2003, 10:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top end engine cleaner and oil change?

I'm about to change my oil..so I figured I might as well do the top end engine cleaner deal.....I want to know after I do this how long should I wait until I change the oil?....that same day, next day...after how many miles........I want to allow it to let the cleaner clear out all the soot and **** out of the engine so what would be ideal?...thanx!
Old 06-11-2003, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Top end engine cleaner and oil change?

when i did it i put the cleaner in and let it sit, went to sleep got up went and did some WOT action to clear it out and then changed the oil. i wouldnt drive for long without changing it.
Old 06-12-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ttt
Old 06-12-2003, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I need to do this soon also, are there any write ups on how to do this correctly?
I just changed plugs so I was wondering if it's neccesary to change them too. I know you have to change the oil, but I really don't want to change plugs again
Old 06-13-2003, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

You don't need to change your plugs.

With the engine idling, spray the entire contence of the can into the TB. Make sure you don't spray it on the MAF sensors. I used a little "straw" attachment (like on WD-40) to get the spray past the MAF sensors. When the can is empty, shut off the engine and let it sit for as long as you can let it sit. The can says to let it sit for 15 minutes, but the longer the better. After you've let it sit, take it out for some WOT fun, to blow out all the crap. After that, let it cool down and go ahead an change the oil.
Old 06-13-2003, 11:02 AM
TECH Veteran

My pistons and chambers were gunked with carbon and i think it was to the point that knock was ocurring....

...in my case, the carbon build up was casued by the installation of LT headers. Apparently, they change the crankcase pressure and oil gets sucked into the intake.

So while you are at it, consider an LS6 valley cover replacement, an oil can can or both. This will stop oil from being sucked into the engine and hopefully your carbon build up problem will go away...

Search this Thread