Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lts and tds in CALI ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 12:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lts and tds in CALI ?

Anyone living in California have any advice on smog test as far as long tubes and td's go? I need to know how often you are required to smog your car in Cali, and if you dont have cats and get pulled over/ticket, how serious it is.
any other known california smog facts be appreciated

sorry if its been posted before but some new things may have came up since then and i couldnt find it.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Resident

Well, I'd have to say that you'd better know someone who will smog your car if it still have the LTs. I have to smog in a few months and don't know if I'm going to put the manifolds back on and smog or if I'm going to pursue trying to find someone sympathetic to pass it on the sniffer.

Speaking from experience, unless you are racing or driving otherwise wreckless, if you get pulled over for no cats' it will just be a ticket to go to the ref'. The fine can get up to something like $250. If you have manifolds I'd be willing to bet they wouldn't question not having cats' unless you get a real smart officer who can tell by the smell of your car that you don't have cats'.

It seems like there are times where they are just pulling our cars over to check under the hood. I can say that if you have anything illegal (i.e. headlight covers, no front plate, tinted side windows, etc.) don't be suprised to get pulled over. They will use that as an excuse to look under your hood. I had slotted taillight shades and they used that to pull me over; that was my bad but goes to show how desperate they were to give me a citation. I literally drove by the office doing the speed limit, following the car in front of my with at least five seconds of distance, and still got yanked.

Bottom line: If you are going to run your car with LTs and otherwise "illegal" parts and modifications, be prepared to pay the price. I have a daily driver now so I don't have to worry unless I drive the car but I know A LOT of people who drive their cars with not a bit of a problem. It's either lucky for them or my bad luck.

JMHO.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As JMHO stated, unless you got someone willing to do the test/cert and geting caught doing a Illegal smop test and cert.. (he can lose his license and get a very large fine $10-20k for both him and the shop, if the shop loses it license, he is out of business!!). Also, I think for Smog equipement removal, I think it is more than $250.. more like it can be in the thousands if they want to enforce the fines. It maybe $250 for some equipement volilation, but what will also come into play is the Smog laws.

Calif test every two years for your year car. What a hassle to be changing equipement every two years.

No LT will pass the Calif Smog test. The Cat and the distance that they are placed from the heads can not be changed. Shorties are about the only legal Header that will pass.

Suggest you research what you are getting into and how much law enforcement is around your area before you start voliating laws.

And just to be Technical, any part that doesn't have a Carb # is legal to install on any car and just to modify any thing from Stock/OEM can also be illegal. Technially speaking. Car Height, Rims, exhaust routing, Intake, almost anything.. (though not always enforced unless they are after you and want to throw the book at you.)
Old 10-29-2007, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

Passing a smog test with LTs really depends on how thorough the smog station is. Some just look for cats, others might notice the headers and ask if they are CARB compliant. Also, LTs (with cats) will usually pass the sniffer portion of the test. Visual is what you have to worry about.

I am positive there are plenty of CA members on here that have passed with LTs (along with other CA illegal items ). Myself, I have passed with LTs and cats the past two inspections and these were done at Test Only stations.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Brian