Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PLS Explain whats happening and why on my 01 C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 06:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLS Explain whats happening and why on my 01 C5 Z06

PLS Explain whats happening and why on my 01 C5 Z06

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know this makes no sense. I have run this experiment time and time again and it works..(temporariarly till the next time I turn off and then start the car..(sp)

Please take an educated guess on this for me..

The car runs like its dragging an anchor and I've found if I take the brake booster hose off the brake booster while the car is running... and put my finger on it and then release..then put my finger on it again.... then release..(maybe 5 times?) and then put it back in the brake booster the car runs like its AN ATHELETE!

Whats happening? How can I make the light ready to pounce feeling of the car last longer?

I realize none of this makes any logical sense (at least not to me) but the car drives signifigantly differently both before and after this procedure..

DO I NEED A NEW BOOSTER TANK?

IS THERE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE ENGINE?

IS THERE A CHANCE THE 02 WIRES GOT BURNED AGAIN FROM THE HEADERS?

ARE THE VACUUM LINES PARTIALLY CLOGGED?

DOES THE CAR NEED A OIL FILTER CAP BREATHER TO RELEASE THE PRESSURE IN THE ENGINE? (SHOULDN'T BUT ITS AN INEXPENSIVE ENOUGH EXPERIEMENT IF YOU THINK ITS SOMETHING TO CONSIDER..

Its just really markedly different running after detaching...then capping and releasing the brake booster hose. LIKE NIGHT AND DAY ..

The car is awesome right after I do this procedure and then over time it recedes back to driving as if its DRAGGING AN ANCHOR..

Any ideas would be appreciated..

I realize it would be just a guessimate..but that would be really appreciated so I can find a permanent solution. (not that taking the brake booster hose off is hard but still its kind of silly to have to do that all the time)
Old 10-30-2007, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

Any difference in idle when you perform this "procedure"? Do you think you that you could have a vaccum leak that is somehow "plugged" when you build up pressure holding that line? Have tried holding it to see if that helps? As opposed to holding, releasing, etc.

Kinda bizare... Good luck...
Old 10-30-2007, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm wondering how you ever discovered this.

Run a longer hose inside the car so you can do this while you're driving maybe.

Try it on another (same kind) car and see if the same thing happens, if you know someone who has one.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
Any difference in idle when you perform this "procedure"? Do you think you that you could have a vaccum leak that is somehow "plugged" when you build up pressure holding that line? Have tried holding it to see if that helps? As opposed to holding, releasing, etc.

Kinda bizare... Good luck...

the idle races a bit when I do NOT Plug the hose but remove it from the brake booster...which I assumed was normal.

Its after I plug it back into the booster that the car drives great...and then as time goes on...it can begin to fall off again...(could be days) and then I take off the brake booster hose do the same thing again and the car once again runs great for awhile..

I have no idea how this is effecting the car or why...

Thanks for giving your insight..

I appreciate it..

BTW I thought it was my spark plug wires and especially number 7 wire because everytime I took off the wire and put it back on the car ran better..(of course I was taking off the brake booster hose to get at the number 7 plug wire...) eventually I was taking off the spark plug wire without moving the booster hose and it did nothing to improve the performance...so then I thought...it might not have been the spark plug wire movement but rather the booster.. And it was the booster hose not the spark plug wire...
Old 10-30-2007, 08:25 PM
Launching!

vacuum leak???
Old 10-30-2007, 08:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Could a slow vacuum leak in the booster tank be the problem? I'm thinking that might be whats causing my car to run like its tied to an anchor and then when I pull off the hose.. and hold it with my finger with the engine running.. it builds vacuum?

Then I re attach it to the brake booster and over time it starts to loose vacuum.. so the car gets lean.. then it pulls timing..? then it runs like its attached to an anchor?

then I take off the brake booster hose and start the process all over again.. ?

IS a brake booster replacement expensive? Maybe I should just have it swapped out just to see what happens?
Old 10-30-2007, 10:31 PM
11 Second Club

I don't think a booster replacement would be too bad but I would check to see if it's got a leak first. You might have a leak somewhere else... Put a vaccum gauge on it and see where you are when it has the anchor on it. Then do that thing with the booster hose and your thumb and put the gauge on it again, see if there is any difference.

Very Strange
Old 10-31-2007, 12:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta be a vacuum leak.

My guess is it's your check valve......booster's rarely leak internally.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

The check valves been replaced back in august...and ... the car ran great for about 3 weeks..

NOw? I don't know...but heres something that seems to making the fix last longer and still running good! ..

I have the pcv setup with the CCw canister catch can...and I got pissed...pushed the pcv valve body down and now the outward nipple of the pcv is not pointing downward toward the manifold .. but rather level or slightly up towards it.....

I guess with less vacuum because of the cam? the pcv valve is more likely to close now that its pointing up or level and not downward..

Any of this make any sense?

All I know is it seems to be working..

What I did was reverse the pitch of the pcv valve so its not pointing down toward the engine.. (that little cap inside the pcv valve can close more easily so it blocks whatever the hell its supposed to?)

Anybody understand the workings of what I've found out?

If you could explain... that would be cool.

Quick Reply: PLS Explain whats happening and why on my 01 C5 Z06