Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help W/ Ws6 Debaffle

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help W/ Ws6 Debaffle

I drilled the rivets out ....got the back baffle out... but the front two are stuck...think its the glue ....i pulled it reasonably hard and it didn't come out...also without the riviets should i be worried about drivin with just the glue holding it..thanks ...i'm lookin into the new fast toys ram air kit so i'm starting with the debaffle now..
Old 11-01-2007, 07:42 PM
On The Tree

any ideas of removal of front two baffles..
Old 11-01-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've taken out the rear baffles, but left my fronts in. I've done this 'cause my car's a daily driver, rain or shine. The front baffles, as you've suspected, are held in by rivets and epoxy. I've read that the best method of removing the front baffles, after you've drilled out the rivets, is to remove the plastic screens in the nostrils and then carefully place a broom stick (or something similiar) and give the each baffle good swift smack with a hammer. That should dislodge them enough to pull them out.

However you do it, post back and let us know how it went.

Good luck,
Marc
Old 11-02-2007, 08:24 AM
Teching In

yea thats how i got mine out take out the front honeycomb shaped screens and either wack them with a broom handle or a large flat screwdriver is what i used.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:39 AM
12 Second Club

My hood is completely debaffled. Never once had a issue with water & my car is daily driver 300+ miles a week in all weather conditions year round.

The fronts are the hardest & when they do come out they will pop really loud when the epoxy lets loose. You'll think you broke something, but it'll be ok. I just pushed & pulled mine from the opening on the inside of the hood. Took a few minutes & some hard pushing but they came out.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:42 AM
On The Tree

yeah i hit mine with a hammer and a screw driver through where the air vents go. all of mine are out also, and never had a problem with rain, yet...but i dont see how it could cause a problem, there are a few safegaurds in place to prevent it.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

hammer and screw driver did the trick....i took out the inserts in the grille and they pop out in a couple minutes.. thanks for all the info..
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

mine were the same way. never drove it in much rain but it seemed to do fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
My hood is completely debaffled. Never once had a issue with water & my car is daily driver 300+ miles a week in all weather conditions year round.

The fronts are the hardest & when they do come out they will pop really loud when the epoxy lets loose. You'll think you broke something, but it'll be ok. I just pushed & pulled mine from the opening on the inside of the hood. Took a few minutes & some hard pushing but they came out.
I agree! Same here. Drilled rivets, and then pulled like hell on the front ones. no hammers, screwdrivers, etc. My car is also my DD.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Reviving this thread with a question:

Were you able to do this with the hood on or did you take it off? I was thinking of just laying on my back and drilling but thought I'd ask people who already did this.

Thanks.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:29 PM
Restricted User

I'm taking my baffle's out...but has anyone noticed a difference???
Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BigDaddyBry
Reviving this thread with a question:

Were you able to do this with the hood on or did you take it off? I was thinking of just laying on my back and drilling but thought I'd ask people who already did this.

Thanks.
lay a quilt/blanket over engine bay and do it with hood on. makes cleanup easier. its very easy to do.

Originally Posted by Zero4488
definitely noticed a sotp difference at higher speeds. i sealed mine with a bgra gasket and some weatherstripping. now only the air from the nostrils gets in. sounds cool too...
Old 11-30-2007, 11:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zero4488
first mod i did on my car 5 years ago... it's been a DD ever since... epoxy is what's keeping it in there... just yank/pull real hard and it'll pop out... no rain issues for me yet after 5 years
Old 12-01-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BIG_MIKE2005
I agree its not a problem.

I dont know why this is allways brought up, unless your submerging the nose of your car in water you shouldnt have a problem. Even in the heaviest rain storm I dont think it could harm anything.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I agree its not a problem.

I dont know why this is allways brought up, unless your submerging the nose of your car in water you shouldnt have a problem. Even in the heaviest rain storm I dont think it could harm anything.
Agreed. While I've no reason to do this on my WS6, I had two Grand Prix GTPs that each had MUCH smaller pullies on the supercharger. Since creates a bit more heat, I installed H2O injection kits to cool the charge. The jets were plumbed in directly behind the throttle bodies. So, my engine was getting a slight wet down everytime I jumped on the gas. I never had a problem. Actually, the engine stayed relatively clean because of the steam cleaning effect.

Marc
Old 12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Did this a while back didnt notice anything except at higher speeds or it just might be all in my head.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

ya defintely use a blanket over the engine when drilling out the rivets..i think it took longer to clean the mess...i drove in minimal rain and the metal under the air box was wet ... but the filter was dry...i don't think rains a problem in normal driving conditions..as far as power goes i'd say at the least a more responsive car...

Quick Reply: Help W/ Ws6 Debaffle