Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lots of header questions for the exhaust guys

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Lots of header questions for the exhaust guys

I am about to get some pacesetter headers for my car and am wondering a lot of things: (sorry if its to much but I have a low budget and dont want to waste my money)

1. Whats the difference between the off road one and the one with egr air (w/emissions), which one is better to get.

2. Does stainless steel make a difference in sound

3. What y pipe goes best with pacesetter LT's

4. do they connect to my cats, do i have to take my cats off or move them.

5. will I be able to connect my Lts with a y pipe to the cutout I already have.

6. do I need a tune afterwards.

7. will the just "black painted" Pacesetter LT's effect performance and sound

8. what are gaskets and will they come with the headers or do I have to buy some better ones.

9. will i throw codes with headers or have to get some O2 sensors.

10. will it effect my MPG a lot

11. will they scrape or anything like that, like the SLP headers, are there any vices to them, how do they sound with the y pipe and my cutout.

thanks for the help, I will probably have Next level Performance do my work, and tune if I need to. They are good guys and did my cutout and I was very happy. Plus looking at there garage is like looking at F-body and Vette heaven. But I want to have the stuff ready for when I get there.

Any help is great, thanks guys so much, if you can only answer like 2 questions its cool, I know I am asking a lot.
Old 11-01-2007, 11:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some questions answered:

Gaskets: They should come with the headers and either way, you can re use your old ones.

I would spend the extra money and get teh ceramic coated ones...

SLP headers scrape more than any brand.

if you arent lowered, you shouldnt worry about scraping.

Get the Y pipe from Texas speed that comes withh the pacesetters.

you do not "need" a tune, but it wouyld be worth it, especially if you decide to not run cats anymore.

shouldnt affect MPG a lot, but I think you will run richer(more air/fuel ratio.. more fuel in the mixture)
Old 11-02-2007, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. The difference is the "race" headers do not have any emission fittings to connect the EGR/AIR tubes to. This is strictly a preference and I chose to eliminate the emissions and bought the race headers.

2. Stainless Steel is really thin in these headers, in the 0.049" range. More sound will radiate though the headers since the stock manifolds are really thick. Things like ticking will be more noticeable. For exhaust sound, mine was a little deeper with LT Headers.

3. I am not using Pacesetter so, I will leave this for the actual users.

5. You can still use your cutout with the new headers and y-pipe. A good exhaust shop should be able to take care of this. If the cutout is further down the I-Pipe, you should be able to connect it directly after the header install.

6. A tune is not required after installing LT's but, there is power to be gained by doing so. The O2's will be located further back from the stock locations and you will run rich.

7. The 'black painted" finish will have no effect on performance or sound. Of course, the paint will flake off in a short time as I have seen this on their shorties.

8. Use OEM exhaust manifold gaskets. If stock gaskets are not too bad, you can reuse them. They are really cheap and I would replace them.

9. You can throw codes especially for the post cat O2 sensors. Whether you install cats or not, just have the post cat O2 tuned out. The rear O2's determine whether the cats are working or not. The new cats will be further back from the stock location and may not get hot enough to catalyze the exhaust gasses and trip the rear O2 SES.

10. If tuned properly, there should be very little effect to MPG.

11. If the car is lowered, then you most likely will scrape. I am still at stock height and I never scrape. It depends on the much the y-pipe tucks up under the car.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2. I believe stainless do let a little more noise out. I had MACs on for a while and I seem to remember hearing a little more noise from my QTPs. Of course, the LTs would probably let more noise by vitual of longer primaries but I don't know for sure. I don't know if I'm trying to read into this too much, but if you are asking whether stainless sound different out of the pipes I would doubt it.

4. If you are going from manifolds to LTs you will have to add cats' or have a catd' Y-pipe.

5. Your shop should be able to place your cutout in your exhaust anywhere you want.

6. I think a tune is a good idea. It'll probably cost as much as the LTs but will make sure the car is optimized and you'll gain all the power possible from adding the LTs.

7. Without a coating they'll rust; how long will be affected by your regions environment. Get a coating for longevity and to help insulate the heat and make a bit more power.

8. I don't know if they come with Pacesetters but you may be able to reuse the OEM ones that are on the car now. If you can't reuse the existing ones you can obtain OEM ones from a sponsor or your local dealer. Same goes with the bolts.

9. If you get a tune, the tuner may tune to 02s out. I think some tuners prefer to not referrence the 02s because they are not accurate enough when used with LTs. Your tuner should be able to tell you what they prefer.

10. You may gain a little mileage if it's tuned correctly and if you can restrain yourself from driving fast.

11. My LTs were deeper and IMHO sound cleaner than with the MACs. They are definately louder and MOST definately louder and better sounding than the manifolds. I think the catback you have will dictate how it will sound and I love how the car sounds with my cutout closed. The rasp is really controlled and just plain sounds good to my ears. Try going to ls1sounds.com to get an idea of what to expect.

Good luck with your decision.