Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather and Open Headers Question*

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 07:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Weather and Open Headers Question*

well i'm running open headers until thursday morning, but tonight is supposed to get down to freezing. I was wondering if the cold air would creep up the headers and into the extremely hot motor. I will be out late and it will be the coldest then. Any thoughts? I thought about just sticking a towel up the collector after I turn it off for the night. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-06-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Exclamation

Well, most of the sound advice I have read here says to at least run 12" of pipe off your headers to minimize air getting to your 02's....some say they have run w/out any pipe..without any problem....I would also imagine those are the very same people who always have a SES light on also....I would assume cold air would be worse...especially if you are not running ANY pipe after the collectors.....all I know is I wouldn't run them w/out a section of pipe to start with....
Old 11-06-2007, 07:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think for just a few days it will be fine, i mean even if you had a muffler, letting it sit in cold whether overhnight would still expose the o2 senosrs to the same air, i may be worng but it cant hurt for just 2 days
Old 11-06-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok. I'm still gonna shove a towel up the collector to make sure nothing happens.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

ive heard if you turn youre motor off when its hot with open headers and it cools down to quickly you can actually bend valves because of such a quick temperature drop. well dont know if its true or not but yeah its probably better you do stick something in there.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather and Open Headers Question*