Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Less Interior Drone
B&B
7.14%
Hooker
21.43%
Magnaflow
50.00%
Other - explain
21.43%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Interior Drone

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior Drone

Hey guys! I'm looking to put a performance muffler in place of my stock one (muffler only using my stock tips). I have a cutout right now with 100% stock exhaust and while it sounds nice I'm looking to get rid of a lil bit of the interior drone when on the highway. Just looking for the best sounding / performance muffer with the least amount of interior drone basically. Just wanted to see in your experience which you have heard that will fit my need. Thanks in advance. -Vic-
Old 11-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Staging Lane

i have a B&B and its pretty mellow, under stress and hard acceleration it sounds mean and clean. but the only time i can get any sort of drone is on engine braking down hills. other than that no prob, with LT ORY and B&B i can cruise at 2-2.5k and talk on the cell with no prob at all. very nice and no drone.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:51 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Corsa is without a doubt your answer. I'm not saying this because I have one - while the majority of users on this board will just vote for what they have. I'm voting for Corsa because Corsa is exactly what you're looking for; it's very mellow while cruising, aggressive at hard throttle and DEAD SILENT STOCK QUIET at cruising. When I had stock manifolds and no cutout, cruising at 70 mph on the expressway, I'd have to roll the windows down and concentrate to hear an exhaust note. With the windows up, the car was dead silent inside. You couldn't hear a single hum. Even now with LT's, an open cutout and Corsa, the drone at highway speeds isn't as bad as a Loudmouth with stock manifolds and cats. Why? Because only around half the exhaust goes through the cutout - the other half still travels through the muffler and Corsa does a great job of quieting things while cruising still! It's the most versatile catback out there and is exactly what you're looking for.

If this isn't enough, it's also one of the best flowing catbacks on the market. I'd be willing to bet it flows much better than a Magnaflow. Over my years on this board, when people post up dynos of Corsa with a closed then open cutout with stock manifolds and cats, the horsepower difference is usually 2 hp.

Here's a link showing what my car sounded like with stock manifolds and cats, no cutout and JUST Corsa:

http://video.ls1tech.com/video/38ca9...190161897c.htm
Old 11-09-2007, 08:48 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Well, I've had a bunch of different catbacks including Borla, Magnaflow, SLP and the Magnaflow was the best by a bunch. Add to it that it flows extremely well and its a success.

It does sound a little raspy when it's cold, being stainless, but once up to temp it sounds clean and mellow.

Fact is, for whatever the reason, be it the different firing order, or alluminum block / heads combo, our cars drone between 2300-2900. It's just the harmonics of our motors.
Old 11-09-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Corsa is very good for little sound in the car
Old 11-09-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hooker for sure
Old 11-09-2007, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

corsa
Old 11-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Fact is, for whatever the reason, be it the different firing order, or alluminum block / heads combo, our cars drone between 2300-2900. It's just the harmonics of our motors.
That's why I recommended Corsa. There's no drone, ever, at ANY RPM. None. Nada. 80 mph, no exhaust noise with the windows up. It's wild.

I need to find my cutout cap so I can see what it's like with LT's, but with stock manifolds and no cutout, it was whisper quiet everywhere.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:47 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
That's why I recommended Corsa. There's no drone, ever, at ANY RPM. None. Nada. 80 mph, no exhaust noise with the windows up. It's wild.

I need to find my cutout cap so I can see what it's like with LT's, but with stock manifolds and no cutout, it was whisper quiet everywhere.
I shouldn't have said dron, but rather said rasp. Also, I'm referring to catbacks with long tubes and no cats. Almost any catback can sound good with no drone with cats or factory manifolds.

Last edited by The Alchemist; 11-09-2007 at 11:55 AM.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Hooker has zero drone at cruise - all you can hear is tire noise. That's why I didn't like it. I like hearing a hummmm from the exhaust at cruise; mind you, not a drone, but a hum. I'm sure Magnaflow is pretty close to Hooker in that regard. As for Corsa, well, plenty of info ^^^^^.
Old 11-09-2007, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Vic, whats up man?

Its Mike with the 99 SS from the SCC car show. I stumbled across this thread and noticed your 69 SS in your sig.

Anyways I would suggest a magnaflow. They are very tame. I've never heard a Corsa in person, but from what I've read they are tame also.

Good luck!
Old 11-09-2007, 10:49 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I shouldn't have said dron, but rather said rasp. Also, I'm referring to catbacks with long tubes and no cats. Almost any catback can sound good with no drone with cats or factory manifolds.
Pretty much every catback will rasp with no cats. It's just the way things go - our cars sound terrible with no cats when running a y-pipe - no exceptions. I think ALL catless catbacks sound awful. People will come in here and say things like "Magnaflow doesn't rasp." Guess what, Magnaflow rasps horribly with an ORY. I've heard it.

If you want to go catless, get a set of TD's made with an H-pipe if rasp is an issue. It's the only way you'll be able to get rid of rasp when not running cats. If you don't want to do that, run a set of cats. There is absolutely no good reason to not run cats on our car, so why not get a set?
Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My Hooker is very, very quite.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Magnaflow hands down!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:24 PM
TECH Regular

You can also try putting in some sound insulation on the back. It works better than you might think.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Teching In

Hey guys first let me say thanks for all the replies to this post. Haven't made up my mind just yet but I do believe it will be either a hooker or magnaflow that goes on the car.

Originally Posted by TheLS1Kid
Vic, whats up man?

Its Mike with the 99 SS from the SCC car show. I stumbled across this thread and noticed your 69 SS in your sig.

Anyways I would suggest a magnaflow. They are very tame. I've never heard a Corsa in person, but from what I've read they are tame also.

Good luck!
Hey Mike! Nice to hear from you man! The show was awesome...can't wait until next year I'm going to work on taking both cars and I hope to have the new wheels on the Z by then.