Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Qtp=pita!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Qtp=pita!!!

I got my qtps in last week and jetlagged (matt) helped me install. i dont think i could have installed them without him. just like the title says, they were a pain in the *** to install. the passenger side went in easily, but the drivers side was horrible. we grinded the **** out of everything. a lot of the k member, and a little bit around the oil filter and plug. we had to take out the oil filter and the oil plug. we didnt take out the steering shaft. the key to install it is getting the car up very high. the headers pretty much have to be vertical when goin in. we started at around 2 and didnt finish until 12. but it sounded great when we turned it on the car. open headers. next time, i either goin with pacesetters or if i have enough money, ARH.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:29 AM
TECH Resident

Its common knowledge that the headers have to be vertical to get them in. Thats with all brands. It aint easy doing it on jack stands. On a lift is so much eaiser. Why in the world would you grind around the oil filter. Not to insult you but it doesnt sound like you installed headers before. I have never heard anyone with header install grind around the oil filter or plug.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

slip on collectors F T W!
Old 11-10-2007, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Order 66
Its common knowledge that the headers have to be vertical to get them in. Thats with all brands. It aint easy doing it on jack stands. On a lift is so much eaiser. Why in the world would you grind around the oil filter. Not to insult you but it doesnt sound like you installed headers before. I have never heard anyone with header install grind around the oil filter or plug.
we didnt grind much out of the oil filter. just a tiny bit. to help it slip in a little better.
Old 11-10-2007, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

For the price I really liked the Jet Hots that I had on my Procharged SS. They fit great "only an 1/8" grinding on the K member" and didnt have to remove anything other than the plugs.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never grinded anything to get my QTP's in, but I have to admit that I had a bitch of a time too. My mistake was EXACTLY the same as yours. I didn't disconnect the steering knuckle. It would have made a world of difference in hindsight...
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Order 66
Its common knowledge that the headers have to be vertical to get them in. Thats with all brands. It aint easy doing it on jack stands.
Actually...I've installed headers on Camaros and GTOs. Both on jackstands...oh, wait, they were Pacesetters and cheaply made..that's why they slid right in with no trouble at all

It's VERY easy on jackstands.. oh wait..right..Pacesetters.

Originally Posted by SladeX
I never grinded anything to get my QTP's in, but I have to admit that I had a bitch of a time too. My mistake was EXACTLY the same as yours. I didn't disconnect the steering knuckle. It would have made a world of difference in hindsight...

Steering knuckle wasn't even near touching the headers. The problem was the K-member...even with it grinded a little bit and the header as straight-up as it could go..still had trouble pushing it up in there.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Resident

Psssh, I did my XS on a set of ramps in 45 minutes! Hardest part is getting the stock crap out.
Old 11-10-2007, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by blueeyeddevil141
Psssh, I did my XS on a set of ramps in 45 minutes! Hardest part is getting the stock crap out.

That's impossible..all these other guys say you aren't supposed to install headers on jackstands! lies!
Old 11-10-2007, 01:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

would have gone with pace setters had i known about slp fit
Old 11-10-2007, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

pacesetters only have slip fit collectors, no slip on collectors.
my Edelbrocks went in, in about 1hr. hard part was removing the old headers and swapping the damn motor mounts for poly. all from jackstands about 18inches off the ground
Old 11-10-2007, 01:37 PM
10 Second Club

you should not have had to grind anything.
qtps passenger goes in very easy on the driver side if you are installing on jack stands 3ton stands at that they have to be all the way up
then remove the oil filter and then remove the drain plug/ then put the header vertical and i t slides in in a matter of seconds.
ive installed several sets of qtp's with no issues. no i will admit one of the primarys on the passenger side is to close to the k member. guys if you want headers that install with no issues and all you have to do is remove the oil filter spend the cash and buy the kooks headers and stop playing with the bargin basment and ebay headers
Old 11-10-2007, 01:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ls1pwrdss
you should not have had to grind anything.
qtps passenger goes in very easy on the driver side if you are installing on jack stands 3ton stands at that they have to be all the way up
then remove the oil filter and then remove the drain plug/ then put the header vertical and i t slides in in a matter of seconds.
ive installed several sets of qtp's with no issues. no i will admit one of the primarys on the passenger side is to close to the k member. guys if you want headers that install with no issues and all you have to do is remove the oil filter spend the cash and buy the kooks headers and stop playing with the bargin basment and ebay headers
Or if I wanted headers that installed with no issues.. I'd buy cheap bargain basement Pacesetters..haha. I installed mine by myself in 5 hours. (including taking stock parts off)
Old 11-10-2007, 02:57 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jetlag
Or if I wanted headers that installed with no issues.. I'd buy cheap bargain basement Pacesetters..haha. I installed mine by myself in 5 hours. (including taking stock parts off)
it takes me 3 hours on jack stands to remove all stock stuff and install qtps and pacesetters. on my car it took an hour to remove the qtp headers and took 35 min to install both kooks headers. i used to be the same way screw those expensive headers till i splurged for the kooks i will never go back to cheap headers qtps would be the minimum. yoyu just never know untill you find out for yourself.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:50 PM
Tech Resident

QTP's are often more difficult to install because they're one of the longest, if not THE longest headers. They're also equal length, unlike most headers, so that makes the design a little more complicated and harder to fit. My QTP's weren't hard to install, but it was done on a lift. The passenger's side slid right in like nothing, but the driver's side was tough to get around the steering column shaft. The oil drain plug had to be removed just like you had to do, and because of that, the filter had to be removed too (oil change time!). However, there was no cutting or grinding necessary.

Again, if you want the best gains, you're going to have a little more trouble installing them. Pacesetters install more easily because they're a lot shorter than QTP's, and you'll gain ~10 rwhp throughout the curve going from Pacesetters to QTP's, no other changes. Here's a good example:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/700678-results-qtp-hvmc-vs-pacesetters.html

Again, if you want the biggest gains, you're going to have to go with the longest header. Unfortunately, the install may take a little longer. But who cares? You only install them once. Install difficulty doesn't matter to me. Doing the install on jackstands is just a bad idea and makes everything 10 times harder than it has to be.
Old 11-10-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

for the drivers side i only had to remove the oil filter and raise the engine up a little bit on that side.
Old 11-10-2007, 04:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

i agree with everyone one else, takin off the stock stuff was the hardest part, then installin the driver side. but i think things would have gone smoother if the car was high enought. but they sure do look damn good. and i did pick them up for one hell of a price, $400 off ebay. so overall, they look great, better performance, but pain in the *** installation, if u cant get the car up high enough.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

hmm weird you had drivers side problems, that was the only side that went in 100% perfect with no clearance problems at the k-member, block, or stock plug wires. I removed the steering shaft so i could have a clear view and with the proper angle it went in like butter.

the passengers side gave me the trouble, I didnt think i should of needed to grind down my k-member, but I did after 3 days of trying to figure out what to do. after that while buttoning up my install i tried to install cylinder 2 plug wire and nope, barely fits on like u need to bend the wire just to get it on the plug, then I have to zip tie it away very tightly to just have clearance from it touching. with the stock heat shield on the wire, you can see the angle it has resting against the tube.

I drove it like that for awhile and of course it cooked the wire and burnt right through it.

over all they perform well i guess, but I wasnt happy of course.

Last edited by MdFormula350; 11-16-2007 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Love my American racing headers and y.
Fit great and runs great.

Old 11-12-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MdFormula350
hmm weird you had drivers side problems, that was the only side that went in 100% perfect with no clearance problems at the k-member, block, or stock plug wires. I removed the steering shaft so i could have a clear view and with the proper angle it went in like butter.

the passengers side gave me the trouble, I didnt think i should of needed to grind down my k-member, but I did after 3 days of trying to figure out what to do. after that while buttoning up my install i tried to install cylinder 2 plug wire and nope, barely fits on like u need to bend the wire just to get it on the plug, then I have to zip tie it away very tightly to just have clearance from it touching. with the stock heat shield on the wire, you can see the angle it has resting against the tube.

I drove it like that for awhile and of course it cooked the wire and burnt right through it.

over all they perform well i guess, but I wasnt happy of course.

YIKES!!!! That's horrible!