Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spark plug wire/coil pack issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default spark plug wire/coil pack issue

After completing the header gasket swap i've been putting off for awhile, I noticed while reconnecting my spark plug wires back to the coil packs, that one of the wires has a constant electric pulse that can be felt only on that one wire when you place your hand on the spark plug boot. If feels like arcing spark. This is the best way to describe the situation. No other wire does this. I rechecked the connection. Still clueless. Any ideas? thanx
Old 11-11-2007, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1ne
After completing the header gasket swap i've been putting off for awhile, I noticed while reconnecting my spark plug wires back to the coil packs, that one of the wires has a constant electric pulse that can be felt only on that one wire when you place your hand on the spark plug boot. If feels like arcing spark. This is the best way to describe the situation. No other wire does this. I rechecked the connection. Still clueless. Any ideas? thanx
Checked the boot was completely attached to the wire? It clicked in 2 times? Only thing I can think of is a faulty wire or connection issue given your described situation.

Any misfires or rough ideling?
Old 11-11-2007, 04:13 PM
On The Tree

Slight miss @ idle. Always thought it was normal. I guess i'll recheck the connection once more. thanx
Old 11-11-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't just check the connections, pull the coils off and check the gold prongs that are in the coils. I did this a while back and saw buildup on one of them (other 7 were fine). Put the wire on and severely fought it for the second click, and much better. Coils are easy to take off (don't put the back bolt on the passenger side one when they go back on, you'll thank me if you EVER have to take them off again ).

-J
Old 11-11-2007, 10:16 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pull the wire off and look inside of the boot, if it was arcing then there should be burnt marks on the inside of it.