Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electrical Issues

Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Electrical Issues

I have been messing with exciter wire for the past couple of months since it broke and trying to get it connected correctly again. Well yesterday I took a shot at soldering the aftermarket connector to the stock wire. I plugged it in and went to connect the negative cable to the battery and noticed the door locks started activating. I thought that was weird but went along and started car only to find out my lights were still dimming. Then I turned off the car and turned off the headlights and when the lights flipped down the passenger headlight motor kept turning for a few seconds. I thought this might have been caused by the solder or maybe a bad ground somewhere but I checked all connections in the area that I was working in and took the soldered connection off and made a better connection by reinserting the wire into the prong in the plug. My only concern is now even after doing that every time I plug the negative battery cable in the headlight motor starts turning on the passenger side and the door locks activate and the trunk even popped open. I'm assuming it's some kind of relay or fuse but I have no idea where to look and I've tried searching for a thread first but didn't find anything like this at all. Please help!

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 11-11-2007, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

One other thing that leads me to believe it might have something to do with the security system, I was going to leave the battery connected last night after I gave up because the motor turning only lasts a few seconds but when I hit the lock button on my keyless remote it caused the headlights to flip up and then back down instantly and of course the headlight starting making the noise again so I had disconnected the battery until I redid the wire today but like I said the electrical issues are still popping up.
Old 11-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Staging Lane

TTT

Please, I need help!! I can't drive my car like this...any suggestions would be great!
Old 11-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Launching!

The door locks and trunk popping is normal for when your program your keyless entry to the car (i.e. it indicates that the key has been synced with the car's security code). Whether doing that after reconnecting the battery is normal, I don't know.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is this an aftermarket security system?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:43 AM
Staging Lane

Well, after reading a very long thread in the Firebird section, it has become apparent that the headlight motor has gone out. I haven't change it yet but the headlight motor continuing to turn after being closed and the headlights popping up and down after pushing the lock button are the signs of the gears being stripped on the motor. I am hoping to take a stab at correcting the problems soon. I guess it was just completely coincidental that the headlight motor went out at the same time as I'm trying to fix a different problem. I will post an update as soon as I get a chance to correct everything for future reference. And FWIW, it is not an aftermarket security system. It is the standard keyless entry remote from GM.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 11-14-2007, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Use this kit to rebuilt the unit instead of replacing it

you will NOT be disappointed

http://www.rodneydickman.com/n113.html

my drivers headlight did the same thing, made a grinding sound when closing due to the nylon gear being stripped, lights popped open when using the keyless entry , drove me crazy. Rebuilding it with the brass gear took less then 30 mins.
Old 11-19-2007, 07:31 AM
Staging Lane

It was definitely the headlight motor gear. I just wanted to leave an update that the problem was solved for future reference. There is more information on this in the Firebird section on a sticky that I did not see at the time of my posting.

Search this Thread