Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how can i get better gas mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how can i get better gas mileage?

i want to get better gas mileage but not lose power or acceleration...what are good ways to do that?
Old 11-13-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

also i dont know if this is the correct forum for this, if not, where should i go with this one?
Old 11-14-2007, 12:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Underdrive pulley and Electric water pump
Old 11-14-2007, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cheapest way....drive like grandma....really. just taking it easy around town and not flooring it everywhere will save a lot of gas
Old 11-14-2007, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Grimes: i knew that one was coming, just didnt know how long till someone said it, lol.

c0ncEpT: how much would that cost and would i save enough money to get back the i put into it in the long run?
Old 11-14-2007, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

underdrive is about $200 i think, and the waterpump for the LS1 is over $500

so really it depends on how many miles you put on your car.

right now you have the main things to boost mileage....low restriction intake and exhaust.

make sure your fluids are new, tires are inflated (maybe run thinner tires for DD duty), new plugs, and your fuel filter is new. maybe put new o2 sensors in.

do you run 92/93 octane? maybe play with other octanes...sometimes the trade off in price is more than the loss in performance....and vice versa (if you run lower).

a good tune can really help out. a $300 street tune may pick up decent mileage.

try running some SeaFoam through the engine, to clean up deposits.

skip shifting
Old 11-14-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

well that doesnt sound like it would be worth the money i would have to put into it. i dont really want to lose performance for the sake of better gas mileage though, so i probably wont do a street tune. does anyone know about any programmers that sit on the dash that you can adjust it on the fly? like one that has 3 or 4 programs for better gas mileage, more power, etc.? i know this is the wrong forum for that, ill start one there too, but i figured i would ask anyways...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:34 AM
Launching!

Did u really just ask that question? u bought a Trans AM for a reason. if u wanted better gas mileage than u should have bought a V6, or go out and buy a POS cavalier or something. That will also keep the miles down on ur car. What kind of mileage r u getting? I can get 28mpg on the interstate with the cruise set at 82 with my 98Z auto with an intake and exhaust
Old 11-14-2007, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

"i dont really want to lose performance for the sake of better gas mileage though, so i probably wont do a street tune."

a street tune should help power and mileage....

probably even tuning it for a lower octane...like 89...would still yield power gains...and mileage. and that would allow you to run your choice of 89 or 92/93...if you wanted.

talk to a tuner...see what they say
Old 11-14-2007, 10:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

maybe ill have to go do that.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

You want better gas mileage without losing performance...you might want to rethink you purchase of an f-body. My mileage hasn't suffered since I started modding my car, but all I've done is intake and exhaust work in terms of increasing the engine's output. I still get upwards of 29-30 MPG on the highway, and 18-19 in town. My power output has gone up, but the mileage has remained about the same. With 4.11s in the back now, it should start falling, and will only go down from here.

The best you can really hope for is to maintain what your car should do straight from the factory - 18-19 in town, and 28-ish on the highway. Proper maintenance and using good gas should keep those in line. Beyond that, there are no miracle products out there that give you something for nothing.

As for the EWP and underdrive pulley giving more, that has NOT been my experience. Again, it didn't change my mileage at all for better or for worse.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:54 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Oh, and don't fall for this "get a street tune" stuff either...I do all of my own tuning, and have tuned it as best I can with a wideband and all of the other bells and whistles. No real changes in gas mileage with a stock-internal engine, but it does run stronger. Getting it tuned to run a lower octane means they'll be pulling timing, and you'll lose power in the process, which is something you clearly stated you didn't want to happen.

I think there are too many people in this world that fall for the Hypertech commercials where they say you can tune for a lower octane fuel and still increase horsepower, but they are very careful with their wording. Marketing 101...
Old 11-14-2007, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

mine doesnt get anywhere near that...what is wrong with mine that would make it do that? i only get like low teens in the city and MAYBE 20 on the highway...

the city might be partially my fault...but the highway, i normally do the speed limit and set my cruise so that i can try and get the best mileage i can possibly get...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:04 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by camaro_fanatic2003
mine doesnt get anywhere near that...what is wrong with mine that would make it do that? i only get like low teens in the city and MAYBE 20 on the highway...

the city might be partially my fault...but the highway, i normally do the speed limit and set my cruise so that i can try and get the best mileage i can possibly get...
Maintenance type items would be my guess...make sure you have a new fuel filter, make sure your spark plugs are good, etc.

These cars alter the amount of fuel added to the engine by the O2 sensor readings (at part throttle where your car normally operates). If those are off, your fueling will be too.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

is the o2 sensor under the intake? i have a problem under there that i am getting ready to fix, could that be it? i dont remember what exactly the problem was with my car, i just remember that the mechanic said that that it was under the intake and would be an 8 hour job, i cant afford to lose my car for a day because my dad works at a chevy dealership in bolivar (about 30 mins from where i live) and it normally means that i lose my car for a week because i dont have the time to go get it. i was going to pull the intake off myself and fix it. could that be the problem that i need to fix?

i probably also need new plugs, i dont know when they were last changed, but ive had the car for a little over 8 months.

fuel filter might have been changed since i got it, i cant really remember if i did that or not, i will have to ask my dad to see if he has it in the computer if i did it since i got it.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

The O2 sensors are in the exhaust, and there are 4 of them...two before the catalytic convertors, and two after. The sensors under the intake manifold are the knock sensors, which will pull timing if they sense the engine knocking (hence the name). If they are bad, they might be pulling timing all over the place, but that would be more evident with sluggish performance. Not sure how that would affect gas mileage...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:39 AM
12 Second Club

gut that bitch! free and saves some gas.
Old 11-14-2007, 11:40 AM
FormerVendor

Get an FTRA 5-7 % better fuel economy. As already stated, a good street tune would help. A free flowing exhaust and intake help as well as long as you keep your foot out of it
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

i think they might have thought that was one of the problems under there, there was 2...but my car doesnt seem sluggish...

how much would it cost to change out the o2 sensors, and what would make them go bad?

also, my car smells like rotten eggs sometimes when i get on it...what would make it do that?
Old 11-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

STAY OFF THE LOUD PEDAL!! LOL! No wait....that makes the car no fun to drive.....