Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fast Toys 85mm Lid problems...

Old 11-14-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fast Toys 85mm Lid problems...

I just ordered the new 85mm FastToys lid and received it yesterday. I went out to install it immediately and discovered a small problem...and a somewhat larger issue:

Small problem:
The sensor/grommet hole on the 85mm Lid is too big. On my previous lid(s) the rubber grommet/sensor was extremely tight fitting. So tight, that I had to use pliers to pull it out (which has been the case on the past 2-3 lids that I've owned). However the hole on the 85mm FT lid is much larger, so the grommet/sensor does not fit at all. It wiggles and spins freely (even w/ the sensor inserted). I tried using gasket-maker to get it to seal better, but even that doesn't work very well. Was it supposed to come w/ a larger grommet? If so, I didn't get one.

The bigger problem:
After fiddling w/ the grommet/sensor and gasket maker, I decided to install the lid and let the gasket maker cure over night. But when I went to close the hood, I got a nasty surprise. I am unable to close my hood, as it hits the top of the lid (at it's highest point). The hood is about 1/2" from fully closing. Has anyone had any problems getting the lid to fit under a stock Z28 hood? I have a 00' Z28 w/ factory hood. It's never been in an accident so everything is at factory tolerances.

I researched the lid before buying and didn't hear any of these problems. So I'm confused about the issues I'm having...especially the hood problem. I really like the lid and want to use it (I have a Heads, TREX cam, 90/90 setup) and I know I will benefit from it...but other than spending an additional $1000 on a Cowl hood/paint, I can't find away around the hood dilemma. Anyone else with these issues?
Old 11-14-2007, 10:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you tried contacting fast toys yet? I'm sure they'll chime in soon...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 AM
FormerVendor

Hi,

In regard to your two problems. it is always best to give us a call and we can help you out right away However, for the benefit of everyone, here are some quick answers to your problem:

1. IAT hole. The IAT hole should not be as loose as you are describing. It was made a tiny bit bigger than the OEM hole because we found the OEM hole was so tight you could not get the IAT and grommet out without damaging anything. If there is a little too much play, a little silicone around the grommet will take care of it nicely.

2. Hood not closing. We have never had this problem reported! The only hoods that even have rubbing issues are the SS hoods. If you hood will not close, you likely have some issues with your factory air box sitting too high or your hood is not adjusted/lined up properly on the car. Take a look to see if the lower air box assembly is sitting properly on top of the radiator as well. It definitely will fit

If you have any other problems, just give us a call.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
Hi,

In regard to your two problems. it is always best to give us a call and we can help you out right away
Sorry...I just wanted to verify that I wasn't missing something obvious before I harrassed you guys.

As far as the hood fitment and radiator support...I have removed the entire radiator support in an effort to find the cause...everything sits flush (I have the FTRA and it is sealed up flush as well). After work I'm going to remove everything again and see if there is something I can dremmel or trim in order to get it to sit lower. If not, I guess it's back to the old lid for me.

Thanks for the feedback though.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:26 PM
TECH Junkie

just a thought... but did you ever by any chance upgrade your air box to an SS one and still have the stock Z28 hood? If so, I could see that causing your hood not to shut...
Old 11-14-2007, 11:38 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
just a thought... but did you ever by any chance upgrade your air box to an SS one and still have the stock Z28 hood? If so, I could see that causing your hood not to shut...
The SS, Z28, Firehawk and Firebird lower air boxes are all the same. Only the WS6 one is taller
Old 11-15-2007, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fast Toys Performance Parts
The SS, Z28, Firehawk and Firebird lower air boxes are all the same. Only the WS6 one is taller
ah I see... didn't know that... makes me feel special now
Old 11-15-2007, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

this is why i won't get this lid also my slp one already rubs so i know this one will be more of a issue.. i wish i could get it though.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I might've gotten it to work. I had to take my radiator support off, and trim some plastic from the bottom. I also had to bend the top of my FTRA down a bit. This allowed me to lower the height of the Rad-support and give me 1/2" or so that I needed to get the hood to close.

However, I'm pretty sure the hood is still making physical contact with the lid though. I'm going to get some clay this weekend and try and determine how much contact it's making. It was raining so I didn't get a chance to take it out for a spin. My concern now is the engine Torquing and causing rubbing/flexing against the hood.

The gasket maker has cured and seems to have sealed up the oversized grommet hole...although I don't know how well the seal will hold up with any amount of disconnecting/connecting of the sensor wire. I'm going to try and find a different diameter grommet or try another type of sealant.

Last edited by Ebbsnflows; 11-15-2007 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Launching!

I have the same problem with the IAT sensor hole, kind of sucks
Old 11-20-2007, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Now that I'm done installing it I can say that if you have a plate type nitrous kit installed you'll have difficulty getting the lid situated properly. It would probably fit better with a shorter bellows piece (I still have the factory piece)
Old 11-20-2007, 09:18 AM
TECH Addict

4 rubber stops can be adjusted to correct hood height to stop lid rubbing,,,,two up front, and two on the sides kinda up front,,,, Worked on my normal lids,,may work for yours as well.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

UPDATE:
Took the car to the track this weekend with the new 85mm Lid. My fears came true. Despite the trimming and bending of the airbox and FTRA, the lid is still making a substantial amount of contact w/ hood. After my first run, I popped the hood and could see a very noticeable scuff on the top of the lid, where the motor is torquing and causing friction between the hood/lid. After 3 more runs the scuff became more pronounced and deeper. The hood is slowly digging a hole in the top of the lid. I've got to figure out another fix/band-aid or I'm going to have an 85mm paperweight.

The only thing I can think of now, is to get the dremmel out and start carving away at the center "rib" support of my hood where the contact is being made...and I'd REALLY rather not start hacking body panels to try and make this thing work.
Old 11-21-2007, 10:26 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
4 rubber stops can be adjusted to correct hood height to stop lid rubbing,,,,two up front, and two on the sides kinda up front,,,, Worked on my normal lids,,may work for yours as well.
Agreed. That's what I was thinking too. This is the first I've heard of this issue so keep us updated.
Old 11-22-2007, 12:51 AM
11 Second Club

Any track #'s from the new setup?
Old 11-22-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HaulinHawk
Any track #'s from the new setup?
Yeah...but I've kinda bad mouthed the lid enuff in this thread. I'll keep my results to myself. LOL

On a more positive note...raising the 4 rubber hood adjusters accomplished nothing....except having to press down harder to latch the hood. The actual latch-catch point is still the same, which means the clearance is still the same.

So I did the BFH mod to the center rib/support on the belly of the hood. It's thin metal and very malleable so I was able to bang it up with just a few careful taps. I took a tiny dollop of grease (about 1/8" high) and placed it on the area where contact/divit was made before. I closed the hood, and the hood it did not touch the grease. So I've got a little more than 1/8" of clearance now, which should be fine.

So the key with these lids is: Gasket maker/silicone for the IAT sensor/grommet and a Dremmel/Big F'n hammer if your hood won't close.

BTW...regarding the nasty PM's that I've recv'd. I'm not criticizing FastToys or their products. I'm simply stating my experiences. I've owned numerous modifed cars over the past 18 years. When you start making changes and swapping out parts, things don't always fit perfectly. That's the nature of the game. It's not that big of a deal. FT makes a quality part, I just had to massage mine a bit. Your mileage may vary.

Search this Thread