Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Degreeing A Cam - Is Solid Lifter Needed?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Degreeing A Cam - Is Solid Lifter Needed?

Over the summer I installed a cam in my 05 GTO LS2. I installed the cam straight up (dot-to-dot) and since have had a hard time tuning the car properly. This weekend I plan on degreeing the cam BUT I do not want to use a solid lifter since it requires pulling the head.

Would degreeing the cam with the current hydraulic lifter give accurate results? If I let the car sit for a full day will the lifters bleed down? If they do bleed down will they pump up if I crank the motor slowly by hand?

Any pertanent information would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LFSADRG
Over the summer I installed a cam in my 05 GTO LS2. I installed the cam straight up (dot-to-dot) and since have had a hard time tuning the car properly. This weekend I plan on degreeing the cam BUT I do not want to use a solid lifter since it requires pulling the head.

Would degreeing the cam with the current hydraulic lifter give accurate results? If I let the car sit for a full day will the lifters bleed down? If they do bleed down will they pump up if I crank the motor slowly by hand?

Im not trying to be a dick but, you should have degreed the cam when you put it in. And if the cam is a hydraulic roller camshaft you should be running hydrauic roller lifters.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:55 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-17-2007, 01:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes you do need a solid lifter. You can make one by taking apart a used hydraulic lifter and putting "stuff" in it until you get the inside of the lifter filled. I like epoxy putty. Obviously you can't use it again. I have also put in washers until the correct height is reached. Then you reassemble the lifter.
Old 11-17-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree. You do not have to use a solid lifter. Simply use your existing #1 intake lifter. Since the LSx powered cars have the lifter holders, I would keep the rocker on and everything and just put a dial indicator on top of the rocker. Just make sure when you spin the motor over that you continually get the same intake centerline number. I would also compare the base circle method to the lobe method to make sure you get the same number that way. If you do then you're golden.

Quick Reply: Degreeing A Cam - Is Solid Lifter Needed?