Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

got some money to spend... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default got some money to spend... suggestions?

I have some money coming to me soon and I was wondering which of these parts should be at the top of my list. I am only looking to spend a few hundred if that much, so tell me which part should be tops on the list. These would be going on a stock 01 ws6 except for a kn filter.
  • fast toys ram air kit
  • umi pistol grip shifter & short shifter
  • subframe connectors (if so, from who?)
  • strut tower brace (also, from who?)
  • eibach springs (or equivalent)
  • line locks
  • mti lid
  • anything else you guys think should be an essential first mod
I plan on doing the free airbox cutout mod as soon as i get my car back from the dealership. any input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:37 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

A lid with FTRA would be my pick. That way your induction is complete up to the intake manifold. There is an open debate on the STB at the moment in the suspension section. Instead of eibach springs, if you're looking to handle well I have heard rave reviews of Strano's springs paired with Koni shocks. You could skip the springs and go to a set of his sway bars. Aside from the subframes that UMI just came out with for my vert the sways will be my next suspension mod.
Old 11-17-2007, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

if an auto, stall first
Old 11-17-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

im guessing you have an m6 since you mentioned short shifter
ftra n aftermarket lid
gears do 4.10's trust me
sfc ( umi are good and not pricey ) also look at there lca's n relo's
forget the stb
if you wanting to lower it forget about doing true duels later
do a 3in cutout ( its cheap n woth a few 10ths )
if you dont have and ls6 intake already do that

do all those things and youll be very happy.....
for awhile

then upgrade again
Old 11-17-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

01's and 02's came with an LS6 stock.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

FT 85mm lid with slp 85mm MAF
Old 11-17-2007, 01:23 PM
TECH Regular

200 does not buy much
Old 11-17-2007, 01:33 PM
12 Second Club

i said a few but actually it should be around 700 or so... but i still have to buy books for next semester.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by b0pric01
I have some money coming to me soon and I was wondering which of these parts should be at the top of my list. I am only looking to spend a few hundred if that much, so tell me which part should be tops on the list. These would be going on a stock 01 ws6 except for a kn filter.
  • fast toys ram air kit
  • umi pistol grip shifter & short shifter
  • subframe connectors (if so, from who?)
  • strut tower brace (also, from who?)
  • eibach springs (or equivalent)
  • line locks
  • mti lid
  • anything else you guys think should be an essential first mod
I plan on doing the free airbox cutout mod as soon as i get my car back from the dealership. any input is greatly appreciated.
Ok a couple things...

Well with my car I only really get a few hundred bucks at a time so I went with all the bolt ons (LS6 Intake which you already have, P&P TB, LT's/ORY, Cat-back, Lid) all with a WS6 store short stick which is fine on the stock shifter. So I would do that first, its $150 cheaper than a shifter, and many people like that feel better than a ripper or Pro 5.0. After you have your bolt on's is when I would start to get a STB, SFC's, Line Lock, etc. Those are more really to make your car more solid for new found power. And the line lock is a racing tool, so unless you go to the track, I don't think its worth the extra $140. That is why a line lock will be AFTER my car gets suspended this winter.

Now keeping in mind a few hundred is not much, I would look for starting mods. A lid and cat-back are deff a good idea, and it is where most people start. Or you could go with pacesetter LT's dumped, which would also be a reasonable price around $500. Gears installed and the speedo corrected will run you around $700, and it will be tough on your 10 bolt to get 4.10's, thats why I am waiting and going with 3.90's when I get my 12 bolt or 9".

DO NOT do the free ram air mod. Ask Zeke (litle8) why.

If you DO go with suspension, get Strano springs, but remember your lowered car will suck without some new LCA's and relocation brackets. IMO and many others on here, the Strano springs put the car at a perfect ride height. I will be doing a Koni/Strano combo with my suspension soon.

So to wrap up my book here... first mods = Lid, Full exhaust, bolt on's. From there I would go suspension/chassis mods, then from there I would go gears/rear, then from there I would go internal.

ALL OF THIS IS OPINION. BUT THE GREATEST OPINION IN THE WORLD, IN MY OPINION.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:26 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for all the help guys, i really feel like i have some sort of direction now instead of just "hey, lets blow some money today" sort of modding. I know i want to get some lts but i think it would be a major pain in the *** to do it on the ground with a jack and stands right now, especially with the temp dropping. I think im gonna go with a lid, ftra, and qtp ecutout for now.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:20 PM
FormerVendor

For Springs: Strano springs are the best. We have a free shipping offer on them right now too

Since you have a WS6 car, you might want to do the JAAM WS6 Ram Air Kit we sell (or the FTRA if you don't mind not using the hood).

Fast Toys 85mm air lid

ASP Underdrive Pulley

Spohn SFC's (lightweight option if you can budget it)

Headers

If you have any questions, give us a call. We are always happy to help customers out with their first mods and will let you know which ones will give you the best bang for the buck!
Old 11-18-2007, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

[*]umi pistol grip shifter & short shifter
- Good Choice here

[*]subframe connectors (if so, from who?)
- We make a large selection of SFC's of both bolt in and weld in's- http://www.umiperformance.com/produc...ategory_id=129

[*]strut tower brace (also, from who?)
- We also offer a nice inexpensive item-
www.umiperformance.com/2005

[*]eibach springs (or equivalent)
- I would suggest to pass on the Eibach springs and look into Strano springs, they are $269 a set.

If you have any questions please ask. Thanks!
Ryan
Old 11-18-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it depends on what you want out of your car. No doubt about it, if i was to get subframe connectors again they would be UMI. They don't make an extremely huge difference but i can easily tell they are there. My car hooked a little better and make it much more solid. It almost feels like the car rides a little rougher because it is more solid. However, dont' expect night and day differences. If I was to get springs, they would be Strano. However, then you will need some new shocks pretty much. I have a feeling that will be over your budget. I have never been a huge fan of cutouts but they have their purpose and you could consider that. I would get a lid if it was me. I would also get a short throw. It makes the manuals a lot more fun to drive. I don't have any experience except with the pro 5.0 that i had. It was great but i have nothign to compare it to. If the UMI one is like their suspension products, I would not hesitate getting that. Their products are absolutely amazing in my opinion. Finally, you said you need to get books yet. This doesn't really help me out because I have no idea how much your books are. I can't even buy my books for $700 per semester.
Old 11-21-2007, 08:31 AM
On The Tree

s&w race cars makes some of the best sfc, i just bought a set and they are 349.99 plus when i go to buy the torque arm it is only 239.99, the middle peice on the sfc has a mount for the torque arm, with relocates the arm to the floor and not the tranny. its cheaper and a beter setup imo. check out s&wracecars.com
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Teching In

I am looking to mod my car as well. I just got it and it is a 99Z. I think that I am going to go with the full intake, headers and full exhaust. Do you guys know of any good Dyno shops in the San Diego Area? It would be very beneficial to get that **** tuned right after those mods?

Thanks

Bill
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

longtubes
cutout
lid
Old 11-21-2007, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

lid + catback should be your first mods, imo. You could get yourself a hooker or a magnaflow plus a lid for less than $700.
Old 11-21-2007, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Since noone has said it yet...don't hesitate to buy all the used stuff you can buy. If you look at the for sale section, you can find some really good deals on basic parts as people outgrow them or just demod their cars.

Galen