Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X Pipe Or Staight Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default X Pipe Or Staight Pipes

Im planing on getting my headers and exhaust but not sure what would give me the most power for a having just bolt ons. Not really concerned about the sound just overall power.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by luis_ws6
Im planing on getting my headers and exhaust but not sure what would give me the most power for a having just bolt ons. Not really concerned about the sound just overall power.
An x-pipe setup will always make more power, no matter what your setup. That is because it provides scavenging as well as pressure equalization.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:01 AM
Teching In

I love my X pipe and it makes more power and sounds better.
Old 11-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

H-pipe, baby. Sounds way better than straight pipes or an X-pipe and provides more power down low. Less rasp, less interior resonance, more power down low = the way to go for a daily driver.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:19 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
H-pipe, baby. Sounds way better than straight pipes or an X-pipe
Originally Posted by luis_ws6
Not really concerned about the sound just overall power.

Less rasp, less interior resonance, more power down low = the way to go for a daily driver.
This is someone who doesnt even have duals giving advice, lets remember. And besides, if youre concerned about power, its top end power that matters.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:59 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
This is someone who doesnt even have duals giving advice, lets remember. And besides, if youre concerned about power, its top end power that matters.
Wow, I didn't realize you had to have the mod to know what it does. All these theoretical Physicists must be dumber than fry cooks.

What does that have to do with knowing that TD's are like? I WANT TD's because I know what they do. I've put a lot of time into researching TD's because I want them. I'm sure I know more about TD's than some people with them. What's your point?

He stated "OVERALL." The only advantage of an X-pipe is top end power. An H-pipe is better for the other reasons, making it IMO the better choice OVERALL.

An X-pipe sounds like ***. H-pipes are better for a daily driven car. They sound better, produce less rasp and interior resonance and give more power in the usable powerband. An H-pipe will still produce more power over straight pipes, it'll just sacrifice a few peak horsepower compared to an X-pipe.

A Flowmaster D-port merge will produce better gains than an H-pipe up top without sacrificing the sound quality and low end that an X-pipe gives up. That's the way I'd go if I were doing it.

Part FLO-15932

Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-18-2007 at 04:10 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure I know more about TD's than some people with them. What's your point?
My point is:

1) you only speak from what you have read online and you have no experience with either setup.

2) you cant say one exhaust sounds better then another, its PURE preference. I like X's better.

3) An x pipe makes more power where it matters, up top. And its not like you'd even be able to notice some huge "loss of low end" that you keep making it sound like.

Youre just an H pipe nutswinger bc of all youve read online and clips youve heard.

The loss of low end isnt ****, an x will gain all over over straight pipe and the top end power its what its all about. And you cant say one exhaust sounds better then another and expect everyone to agree with you.

The only good thing about an H pipe (besides it being your preferred sound) is that they are easier to fit under our cars.

Why do you still not have your duals on yet oh learned professor of teh mighty h-pipe duals?

Last edited by 02NBMWS6; 11-18-2007 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

He stated "OVERALL." The advantage of an X-pipe is top end power. An H-pipe is better for the other reasons, making it IMO the better choice OVERALL.
what other reasons are you talking about? Overall? The only advantage youve pointed out for the H is low end, which doesnt really even matter in an overpowered V8 car. Do you mean just because it sounds better to you? I'll take an x pipe setup with more top end that will trap higher at the track anyday over an "easy to drive" h pipe setup

And like i said before, if yo uask me, the X's soubd better, so dont try to use sound as another benefit of the H.

H = low end (which choco's slow stock car apparently so desperately needs to get to the speed limit in daily driver traffic )

X = top end. I dont have any problems daily driving my "top end" setup, and it lays down more power and higher mph's
Old 11-18-2007, 04:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Damn Choco why do you always have to start arguments over the stupidest crap?

You don't have either first hand experience with either setup so why even post in the first place?
Old 11-18-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just switched from from an x to an h, because the x was a bit more raspy than I cared for... I have to say the car feels alot better down low & even more so in the midrange.. Couldn't really tell a difference up top vs the x.. The sound is alot more refined & clear with the h as well, I'm happy with the switch. Here's a pic of what I went with, all welded of course not clamped & the mufflers are the delta force race 40 series.. I'm running 3" off the headers into the h & then reduced down to 2.5 at the mufflers for a bit more clearance since I'm lowered.. The case size on the muffers are 3x8x8.5".

-Mike

Last edited by MM98; 11-18-2007 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

An X-pipe sounds like ***.
Yep, your right, x-pipes sound awful Just listen to the clip in my SIG to see how shitty my car sounds with an x-pipe setup

To the OP, you will make more power with an x over straight pipes. When it comes to X vs H, it's gonna come down to personal preference. I went from an ORY setup with an open cutout to my true duals/x-pipe/single chamber setup. I gained down low, through the mid-range, and felt an increase in throttle response, but the top-end felt unchanged according to my butt-o-meter.

The general rule of thumb for X vs H is that the X will sound a bit more raw, while providing higher peak power. The H will sound smoother, and provide a bit more down low. To each his own
Old 11-18-2007, 08:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Da Swami
Damn Choco why do you always have to start arguments over the stupidest crap?

You don't have either first hand experience with either setup so why even post in the first place?
....................... ..........................
Old 11-18-2007, 08:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Yep, your right, x-pipes sound awful Just listen to the clip in my SIG to see how shitty my car sounds with an x-pipe setup

To the OP, you will make more power with an x over straight pipes. When it comes to X vs H, it's gonna come down to personal preference. I went from an ORY setup with an open cutout to my true duals/x-pipe/single chamber setup. I gained down low, through the mid-range, and felt an increase in throttle response, but the top-end felt unchanged according to my butt-o-meter.

The general rule of thumb for X vs H is that the X will sound a bit more raw, while providing higher peak power. The H will sound smoother, and provide a bit more down low. To each his own
Damn, that sounds mean as f*ck!!! lol ... I like my x pipe as well.
Old 11-18-2007, 08:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I noticed a gain going from open y pipe to a x pipe setup

And it sounded sick! Awsome
Old 11-18-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Wow, I didn't realize you had to have the mod to know what it does. All these theoretical Physicists must be dumber than fry cooks.

What does that have to do with knowing that TD's are like? I WANT TD's because I know what they do. I've put a lot of time into researching TD's because I want them. I'm sure I know more about TD's than some people with them. What's your point?

He stated "OVERALL." The only advantage of an X-pipe is top end power. An H-pipe is better for the other reasons, making it IMO the better choice OVERALL.

An X-pipe sounds like ***. H-pipes are better for a daily driven car. They sound better, produce less rasp and interior resonance and give more power in the usable powerband. An H-pipe will still produce more power over straight pipes, it'll just sacrifice a few peak horsepower compared to an X-pipe.

A Flowmaster D-port merge will produce better gains than an H-pipe up top without sacrificing the sound quality and low end that an X-pipe gives up. That's the way I'd go if I were doing it.

Part FLO-15932
You would be the kid in my elem class that I would pick on, and **** with just to see him get his panites in a bunch when id be bored...

You keep my day going, by getting pissy about non sense
Old 11-18-2007, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

I've got an un-catted X pipe with 4x9s and I have no rasp whatsoever. And it sounds awesome, I get compliments on it all the time.
Old 11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Launching!

i say x pipe, its sounds badass, but to each his own
Old 11-19-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im getting ready to throw my X on and Im pretty excited. I figure that in the future if I feel the need to change over to an H setup, then Ill take that route. But as for now, my vote goes towards the X pipe
Old 11-19-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1fastz
Damn, that sounds mean as f*ck!!! lol ... I like my x pipe as well.
I appreciate it man
Old 11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is no best for all set up, every combo will react differently to different mods.

Also, you guys running X pipes with restrictive exhaust systems have waisted your money. It takes a race style high flowing exhaust system to take full advantage of the scavenging affect of an X pipe.

The same goes for those old school guys running header mounted crank case evac systems. If your running a restrictive muffler then it probably wont work and may cause more issues than it solves.

Quick Reply: X Pipe Or Staight Pipes