Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Car dies after startup / shows LOW OIL LEVEL warning message / But NO Codes

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 12:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Car dies after startup / shows LOW OIL LEVEL warning message / But NO Codes

I've been searching the forum for the answer, but can't find it, so hoping someone here can help.

Background: This weekend a friend and I decided to install a Dynatech header system in my 2000 C5 Corvette M-6 convertable. The install went pretty well overall.

The PROBLEM: After getting everything put back together, I started up the car. The car revs up like normal, the oil pressure gauge reads 40 psi like normal, and everything seems fine.... EXCEPT, the car dies after about 8-10 seconds and the DIC shows "LOW OIL LEVEL". The car is not throwing any codes. When I try starting the car again, it dies even faster and continues to show LOW OIL LEVEL warning on the DIC, but still no codes. It just won't stay running and keeps showing the Low Oil Level warning on the DIC.

I tried disconnecting the negative battery cable for about 20 minutes, and then reconnected it (saw some posts where this was suggested), but when I started it, it did the same thing: Died after a few seconds and showed LOW OIL LEVEL, but no codes. I'm completely stumped!

My guess is that the problem is not directly related to the new headers, since I don't see how an exhaust system would cause this type of problem. So I figure that during the install, we either loosened or damaged some connector accidentally. But I can't figure out where to begin looking for the problem. Any suggestions???

One Additional Note: During the install, the only real problem we ran into was that we accidentally broke a coolant sensor (not sure exactly what its called). The sensor that we broke is located on the driver's side of the engine, towards the front of the engine, just a few inches behind and below the alternator. I've ordered the part and will replace it when it comes in. I don't see how a sensor related to the coolant could cause a LOW OIL LEVEL warning or cause the car to die, but I guess anything is possible, so I thought I'd include this info here as well.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks.
Old 12-25-2012, 04:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for the same answer....I just did a complete engine swap and changed quite a few things Mine will run fine until operating temp then dies & shows low oil level. It's obviously not low but shows "reduced engine power" and "low oil" I can keep the car running by giving it some throttle but it acts like its not firing on all 8 cylinders, running really rich also have " check gauges" light on. Was wondering if it's my EFI live data logging causing it. i have to disconnect the battery to get the "check gauges" light Off and get the car to idle properly. Not getting a map sensor reading on my EFI live scan tool either. Hopefully someone will chime in
Btw that is ur coolant temp sensor u broke, I have broken 2 of them while taking headers on and off. I'm going to either remove it (have to drain some coolant) or put a deep well socket on it to protect it when loosening the header flange next time
Old 12-25-2012, 09:19 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

The wires for the oil sensor run right past the exhaust manifold. As you installed headers, you may have damaged the wires or burned/melted them.

If all this is OK, you might try resetting the oil life system by putting the key to on, engine not running and flooring the gas pedal three times.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:21 PM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

BTW, what's listed in the photo is not the module, that's the sensor. The module is elsewhere.

Quick Reply: HELP: Car dies after startup / shows LOW OIL LEVEL warning message / But NO Codes