Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 05:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation Help! New Fast Toys 85mm Lid Wont Let Hood Close!!!!!

so there is only 1 other thread on the boards about this so far.

i adjusted the 4 rubber gromets , that was absolutly 0 help at all

my lower airbox assemble is stock and unmolested at all, no ssra or ftra or anything of that nature so there are no issues there.

im altleast 1/2 inch to mabey 3/4 of an inch from it shutting. the hood is definatly resting on the air lid. im fixing to take some pictures to show what exactly im describing.

in the other thread the poster ended up beating on his hood to make it fit
i dunno that sems kinda drastic to me, glad i didnt get an aftermarket hood yet id be pissed if this was a 7 - 800 $ hood ill have to beat on or grind at to get a new lid to fit.

anyone have anything similar to this that can help id greatly appreciate it!

Last edited by 3rdgentug; 11-28-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Resident

heres some pics:

the close up pic i used a standard acorn style lug nut do demonstrate the amount of the opening even w/ me pushing down on the hood
Attached Thumbnails HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-far-away.jpg   HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-lid-assembled.jpg   HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-lugnut-refference.jpg   HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-side.jpg  
Old 11-28-2007, 06:14 PM
TECH Resident

i decided to wipe a veryyyyy thin layer of grease all around the top of the lid

here are the pics
as you can see its not even hitting on the highest part of the lid.
Attached Thumbnails HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-grease-lid-1.jpg   HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-grease-lid-2.jpg   HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!-grease-hood.jpg  

Last edited by 3rdgentug; 11-28-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Addict

Damn that sucks to hear, nice looking lid. Hopefully you get it fixed soon, TTT for you.
-Joel
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Resident

thx joel

hopefully i get it fixed soon or im gonna have to undo everything i did including siliconing the iat sensor gromet in b/c the whole was to big just to get the other lid back on
Old 11-28-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my SS hood it seems fine...
Old 11-28-2007, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

i wonder what the deal is then, the SS hoods are the ones they said had clearence issues. ive been messin w/ this thing for almost 2 hours now im about fed up. ive played and played and played w/ it since i started the tread n took the pictures, got mabey 1/8 of an inch lower now, still nowhere near closeable
Old 11-28-2007, 07:21 PM
TECH Resident

ok ive literally tried everything now
i even switched back to the stock accorian bellow, it still hits bad

against my better judgement really i did what was in the other thread and used a rubber hammer on the underneath of my hood, i was very very very cafeful and went pretty slowly,( but i still managed to put a really nice crease in my hood. i take full responsiblility for that it was my choice to do so im not placing any blame w/ that statement). it gave it the clearance so i can physically FORCE the hood to close. its still hitting and i know if i drive it this way it will break the lid im sure of it. its very very tight.

any advise please!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Sorry For The Bump But Im Desperate For Anyone W/ Any More Ideas Then I Have Already Tried
Old 11-28-2007, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would put your other lid on so you can close the hood without any further damage and wait until Fast Toys responds to this thread. With all their recent efforts to market this product here I feel certain they will address your problem and try to assist you promptly.
Old 11-29-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

after that last post i worked on the car til al lil after 930pm ( yea 5+ hours in total for the hood to finally be able to be forced shut...FORCED )

i had sent fast toys a email, they were already closed for the eening, they did send a reply this am very early w/ more suggestions, id already tried them but im going to try again today after work again.

i ended up loosening the hood itself and adjusting it there, it closed a lil easier but the hood is missaligned now what i consider noticeably by even a bystandard, not just me i know im picky. i had to drive it exactly 14 miles to home n back to work this am. the hood cut a small grove on the passenger side of the lid, and rubbed in 2 places on the drivers side. i really dont care so much about the hood being beaten on b/c im getting a glass functional hood probly early next year, i just dont want to have 1000$ in an aftermarket hood and have to have a bunch of headaches w/ it. i can throw this hood away and it wouldnt ever cross my mind again ya know.

i want to say right now im in no way bashin fast toys or their products. they have great customer service and great products. i 100% believe they will make everything right and help me any way possible!
Old 11-29-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Resident

ok il add this in as well

i did feel better accelatration w/ the lid even after taking the slp bellow out, i believe once i get this lil booger all figured out and settled in it will be well worth the time and money ill have invested in it. especially once i get the below back on and the 90/90 in on the new motor setup
Old 11-29-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Neat lookin lid but sucks that it doesn't fit very well. Can anyone else with this same lid provide some pics and maybe some suggestions?
Old 11-29-2007, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

bump for some help
Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM
TECH Resident

hobb3s:

id only found one other poster here that had the same problem, i did a search on here nd it was the only post that came up, well now there would be 2 i guess.

looks like only us lucky 2 have had the problem so far.

like i said im gonna take it apart all the way down tonight and see if mabey from the factory something down low was assembled wrong or mabey needs some adjusting.
from the top everything looks good like it should, it was 100% stock when i bought it completly unmolested which is exactly what i looked for for months befor i bought this one. it even had the stock lid still on it. the gentelmen i bought it from i talked to for hours befor i purchased it. he was an older gentleman that didnt know much about vehicals.
Old 11-29-2007, 11:58 AM
Teching In

i have just installed the same product, with the same problem. it was no big deal for me thou, i just took it all off and did it again, i belive the filter tray, was not sitting right, it was up a inch, which made everything else angle and raise the high point to hit the hood. i would say try to redo it and make sure everything is down tight! only took me 20 min to take it all off in put it all back on correctly!
Old 11-29-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

i knew this would end up hapening with this lid, i would like to have one, but my SLP one rubs so i know this one wont fit.. Good luck.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Default Update

Hi Everyone,

We have been going through all our airbox invoices to see what years and models of vehicles the lids have been installed on to see if there is a particular year or model that is being problematic. We have also been calling some customers that purchased the lid to see if there were any problems.

So far, it appears this particular vehicle is a 1999 Z28. For the other person that had problems, what year and model if your vehicle?

We've talked to a # of our customers on the phone already which include people with SS cars of various years, firebirds and trans am's of various years. Nobody had reported any issues other than minor rubbing on some SS cars.

We are now following up on the various customers that listed Z28's as their vehicle on the order page. We'll post up results and figure out if it is a problem specific to a particular year of Z28.

If anyone else has purchased our lid and installed on a Z28 with the factory hood, please post the year of your vehicle so we can help narrow this down.

Thanks very much and sorry to the two people that have had issues with the lid. For the gentleman that stated this thread, we sent you an email with some return options if you don't want to keep it.
Old 11-29-2007, 12:53 PM
9 Second Club

just got a call from fast toys a minute ago and asking if i had ne fitment issues etc. and what kind and year car i had. . . now that is great customer service im sure they will get it worked out for you!

+1 for Fast Toys
Old 11-29-2007, 01:19 PM
FormerVendor

Default More Followup

Thanks to all the customers we spoke to on the phone.

Based on the feedback we have received so far, there is no one that has reported any issues at all on WS6, Firebird, Firehawk and VFN cowl hoods.

Factory SS cars and aftermarket SS hoods: some cars have minor rubbing but hood closes just fine. The degree of rubbing varies by car. Most people just put down a little tape or velcro (the soft part) where it touches the hood and no issues after that. They reported this is the same problem they had with other aftermarket lids as well (SLP etc).

1998 Z28: Two people called and no issues - not even rubbing

1999 Z28: The customer that started this thread has the issue with hood not closing.

No other years of Z28 data available right now.

Other than that, everyone we spoke to said the lid fit better than previous lids they had (latches down tight, tabs fit nicely into the lower air box assembly) and they were happy with the looks and performance.

If anyone else has something to contribute to the data, please post here or email us at sales@fasttoys.net

We appreciate your help. Thanks to everyone that gave us some feedback.

Quick Reply: HELP! new fast toys lid wont let hood close!