Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kooks banging

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kooks banging

I just got kooks long tube headers installed with high flow cats the problem is the y pipe bangs and it is terrible! I like the gains but the banging has to go! What are my options? Can the y pipe be modified!
Old 11-30-2007, 05:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02 wife
I just got kooks long tube headers installed with high flow cats the problem is the y pipe bangs and it is terrible! I like the gains but the banging has to go! What are my options? Can the y pipe be modified!
Send it back and buy American Racing, mine fit damn good, no banging at all, Kooks supposed to be top notch as well, I dont know why u r having this problem, contact Kooks, they might hook you up, good luck bud
Old 11-30-2007, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

replace the motor mounts
Old 11-30-2007, 05:42 PM
8 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I made shims and put them between the trans mount and the floor. At the time it was my only option.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polyurethane motor mounts here! I had them installed at the same time my kooks were going in, cuz I knew with the snug fit, i might get banging. But I havnt had any problems. Either I got lucky, or the poly motor mounts helped.
Old 11-30-2007, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can modify the Y pipe. I had to modify mine. If yours is like mine was, the angle on the pass side pipeis wrong and forces the I pipe too close to the d/s tunnel. I cut V out of the pipe, bent it back together, & welded it up. I also held the y pipe down away from the car when I tightened the clamps on the headers. Plenty of clearance now.

BTW, mine are 1 7/8'.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do the poly mounts, it will stop the banging and the car will feel a lot more solid when letting out the clutch
Old 11-30-2007, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

when I did my kooks lt's and catted y, I had the same problem with the drivers side of the y pipe banging the floor board. I tried adjusting it a could times, but it didn't help. I ended up going to my local exhaust shop and they removed the y pipe and heated it up where it was touching the floorboard and flattened the pipe a little. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 11-30-2007, 10:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 Freak
Send it back and buy American Racing, mine fit damn good, no banging at all, Kooks supposed to be top notch as well, I dont know why u r having this problem, contact Kooks, they might hook you up, good luck bud
AR are basically Kooks copies. It was started by a ex Kooks employee. Every car is different, some will bang others won't. Mine doesn't, my buddies did. We played with it and it doesn't anymore.
Old 11-30-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

to the op, make sure it's the y pipe. it may be the headers hitting the k member when your engine moves. put it on a lift and see if it's shiny on the k member where it's hitting. if so, just grind a small amount of the tab out. very easy fix, much easier than the motor mount option fwiw...best of luck!
Old 11-30-2007, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

took header wrap and padded it between the tunnel and the Y....took a strand of wire out of my wirefeed welder and tied it up. Sounds redneck but worked well and is not very noticeable.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:28 PM
Banned

Thanks guys I appreciate all the tips. I'm going next week weather permitting to a custom exhaust shop and see what they can do! The owner has seen many f body y pipe problems so hopefully it can fixed simply. Poly motor mounts will be the last resort!
Old 12-01-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine banged too- seems to be a re-occuring problem with kooks y pipe due to the extremely close fit. Heres what I did: take a piece (about 3-4inches) of heater hose or radiator hose and cut it down the middle, jam'd it between the y pipe and the floor board and then take a band clamp and hold it in place. i actually took a prybar between the floor and the ypipe and bent the pipe down before jamming the piece of radiator hose in there. Works fine for me but next spring Im gonna take it off and flatten it out a bit. good luck.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:06 PM

wait... you mean a $1200 setup hit the floor?
Old 12-01-2007, 04:28 PM
11 Second Club

Had the same problem. They called me told me to readjust the y pipe didnt work told them that. They ran me in circles. For 1200 they should fit. My headers would hit the k member also and the car only had 14k on it. So dont tell me the motor mounts were bad. Bad quality is what it was. I just had to man up and get a k member and that fixed it but it was not the correct fix seeing there sposed to be bolt in.
Old 12-02-2007, 06:08 PM
Banned

Thanks again for all the tips and suggestions! I been blessed with the mods that I have done to the car with no bad effects! I guess in hot rodding these things happen! Hopefully I can get it fixed this year!
Old 12-02-2007, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Arrow bangin ory

I have an '02 SS and I just installed some pacesetter LTs w/ their ory this past Thanksgiving weekend. I have the same banging issue, it mostly occurs when Im letting off the clutch going into 1st gear. I just ordered the mufflex bumpstop hanger so when I get it installed sometime within the week I'll let you know if my $40 idea panned out! --Justin
Old 12-02-2007, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jamming rubber hose onto the y pipe and getting the bump stop hanger are just bandaids and at that point you are are basically using the exhaust to dampen the engines movement which is the job that the motor and tranny mounts should be doing... The better way to do it would be install Poly motor mounts... its not that the stock mounts are broken its that they are insanely soft and allow the engine to move all over the place. Poly's still dampen the engine vibration but don't allow it to jump all over the place.
Old 12-03-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Question

Originally Posted by 02 wife
HERE IS MY 2c.....is it your cats banging---I had to put cats on for awhile....it was the cats--not the y-pipe...
Old 12-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ScrapinBye
I have an '02 SS and I just installed some pacesetter LTs w/ their ory this past Thanksgiving weekend. I have the same banging issue, it mostly occurs when Im letting off the clutch going into 1st gear. I just ordered the mufflex bumpstop hanger so when I get it installed sometime within the week I'll let you know if my $40 idea panned out! --Justin
Hopefully that will stop your banging!

Quick Reply: Kooks banging