Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT's in california

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 02:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT's in california

i heard long tubes are illeagal for use in cali, is that true?!?!?! im trin to pass emmisions so should i just get midlengths or what?! someone please help me out here
Old 06-23-2003, 02:44 PM
Launching!

Default Re: LT's in california

Yep in california I know that at least anything that moves cats from stock location is illegal.
Old 06-23-2003, 03:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

My question is, if you have cats on your car how do they know EXACTLY where the cats used to be? Wouldn't they just do a visual to tell if you had the cats on there?
Old 06-23-2003, 03:53 PM
TECH Veteran

...these people in Commiefornia are so annal about changes they check the head casting numbers,,,,if you have an ls6 head on a ls1 car you are towed away...

...move to alabama...
Old 06-23-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, somehow they know. I'm sure they have specs for each type of car and also after looking at thousands of exhaust systems they can remember where they should be.

And you can't even get mid-lenght headers either. They will also move your cats. Only thing you can use are shorty headers, which suck unless you have other big power making mods.

Best shorties I've seen are the BBK 1-3/4". They are the only ones I've seen for the LS1 that have 1-3/4" primaries, like the LT headers. I'm seeing about gettng a GP going to these at Tybrne, but no one is interested.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:01 PM
Launching!

It all depends on the shops out here. Some shops employ guys who know cars. They dont have know were the cats go stock. They just look to see if the stock manifolds have been replaced. If you have any experiance with cars just looking at the engine bay you can tell if there are headers or manifolds down there. Your options are finding a shop with muscel car friendly guys or taking off the headers for every smog check. There is also a chance that the shop will have people working with minimal knoledge of cars and you will pass. But this is getting less likley. That and you will need a good tune to pass as headers will make you run rich.
Old 06-23-2003, 06:10 PM
Teching In

so basically im screwed?
Old 06-23-2003, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No, but if you get them, and fail you are. I think there is a $300 fine, and then you have to fix it and then try to pass again. Ask around for a shop that other owners of LT's have gone to and passed.

Smog check workers "love" or are dedicated to their job and if they pass you, and then someone finds out you are illegal, the smog shop employee will be fired and lose his license. Some take bribes, but thats risky.

If you are desperate for LT's, you can buy them, and install them, and keep the stockers. When it's time for another smog check, put the stock ones back in. It's a PITA but mught be worth it.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I live out here in Cali...I have LT's with no cats...When it comes time to smog the car, I just get the "Smog Special" if you know what I mean ...As far as passing emissions with an after market exhaust manifold you would have to go with the shorty's ...Which only see gains of about 7-10 RWHP...Hope this helps...
Old 06-23-2003, 09:34 PM
Teching In

smog special?
Old 06-23-2003, 10:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Get it done i!!ega!!y...