Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in the intake but not from the pcv valve line

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 07:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the intake but not from the pcv valve line

I have oil in my intake and I don't think it's all coming from the pcv line.
It has to be coming from the line that runs between the pass valve cover and TB because my stock bellow had a puddle of oil in it.

That line from the valve cover to the TB enters on the air filter side of the throttle blade.
When the engine runs at moderate throttle or coasting it pulls from the PCV line but at wot the crankcase pressure exits the valve cover into the TB.

I've checked it with a vacuum gauge, the pass side valve cover hose pulls vacuum because the pcv line is sucking the crankcase but at wot it puts out positive pressure, and I'd assume oil vapor.
Has anyone done anything to this line to keep the oil out of the TB?

FWIW my engine never uses oil between oil changes.
Old 12-18-2007, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put a breather on my oil fill cap and on the driver side. The lines coming from the valve cover are considered to be part of the PCV system. I do not use any oil and I don't get any oil in my intake. Just cap every thing else off.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Banned

Where did you find the breather to screw in the oil cap?
I just installed a catch can and realized it's not going to help 100%. I think either a small breather on that line or one on the oil cap is what I want. Then just cap off the TB hose nipple.
Old 12-18-2007, 08:59 PM
11 Second Club

The thing about the PCV system is that has to be completely closed or it will have unmetered air come in behind the throttle body. Thats why if you have a breather, everything is capped off. One breather will sufice for the motor, but you can put one one each valve cover. Maybe I just misunderstood you.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Also, I got my breather fill cap from a member off of here. After I bought it I seen some on ebay for 15 bucks plus shipping. The passenger side breather I just got a matching color coned shape one from advance and used the supplied hose clamp to secure it.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
Banned

What i meant was take a breather either on the oil cap or one with a 3/8 hole (I seen one at advance) and put it on the pass side valve cover nipple and cap the TB nipple. The TB nipple leads to the engine air filter side of the throttle blade so it shouldn't effect airflow behind the TB. It either sucks air from the engine air filter stock, or it sucks air from an added breather. Either way the air goes into the crankcase, through the pcv system and into the intake.
The only reason that hose is there is to provide filtered air to the crankcase, and to blow off crankcase pressure at wot to get sucked into the engine and burnt instead of let out into the atmosphere (which makes it an emissions component).
By using breathers it still sucks in air, it's just going to blow vapor into the atmosphere at wot which is not emissions legal.

It's either that or I'll put a tee in it with two check valves. With check valves it will suck air as usual, but at wot it will just blow out of a hose instead of back into the intake.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

The breather will ensure that there isn't any oil in the intake.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:37 PM
Banned

Thanks I'll give that a try.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:53 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Or you could run a dual catch can configuration.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Where can you get that from?
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
Where can you get that from?
http://www.saikoumichi.com

He doesn't have it on his website, but if you email him he can get you fixed up.

See the following document for a drawing of a dual catch can he is doing for another enthusiast: http://www.andersonperformance.net/C...rvetteDual.pdf
Old 12-18-2007, 11:49 PM
Banned

I've thought of that, and can get the parts.
I'd really like to do my own mod which is put a tee in that line with two check valves, it would allow normal airflow through that line, but if the crankcase got pressurized it would just dump it like an old road draft tube. But I cannot find any 3/8 check valves locally, just ebay.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:54 PM
Banned

One thing I really like to see is the inside of a catch can. Hollow is useless and I seen one that was hollow, fittings maybe 1.5 inches apart, can about 8" tall. In my opinion the crankcase vapor is just going to loop right into the other line and never change state.
Just like that drawing, it's typical, outside looks are the key features, no one seems to care about whats inside. Every can I've seen has a list of outside features, all they say about whats inside is a baffle, if they say anything.
Old 12-19-2007, 09:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 405HP_Z06
Or you could run a dual catch can configuration.
Which one of those gets more oil in it? The one with the PCV valve or the one inline with the breather hose (valve cover to TB).
Old 12-19-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 8a8mfh
One thing I really like to see is the inside of a catch can. Hollow is useless and I seen one that was hollow, fittings maybe 1.5 inches apart, can about 8" tall. In my opinion the crankcase vapor is just going to loop right into the other line and never change state.
Just like that drawing, it's typical, outside looks are the key features, no one seems to care about whats inside. Every can I've seen has a list of outside features, all they say about whats inside is a baffle, if they say anything.
He has very detailed drawings and pictures of the inside of his catch cans. IMHO, he's got the best catch cans on the market. The most feature rich, INSIDE and OUT, and the most cost effective.

The outside is important because it needs the fittings in the correct locations to have an attractive installation.

As far as which can gathers more oil, that depends on the conditions. For normal street driving, the PCV catch can gathers the most oil. When on the road course, the valve cover catch can gathers the most oil.

Last edited by 405HP_Z06; 12-20-2007 at 12:33 AM. Reason: misunderstanding
Old 12-19-2007, 11:11 PM
Banned

You need to hop on over to www.saikoumichi.com before you make assumptions about the functionality of the product.
I never said anything about THIS BRAND of catch can so I'm not making assumptions. What I said was fact "I seen one that was hollow, fittings maybe 1.5 inches apart, can about 8" tall."
I found this during a search. Polished, billet, you know all the key words that make it look good under the hood, a million pictures of one installed. Not one word about whats inside, not one picture about whats inside THAT is what I was talking about.
Old 12-20-2007, 12:32 AM
TECH Addict

I never said anything about THIS BRAND of catch can so I'm not making assumptions. What I said was fact "I seen one that was hollow, fittings maybe 1.5 inches apart, can about 8" tall."
I found this during a search. Polished, billet, you know all the key words that make it look good under the hood, a million pictures of one installed. Not one word about whats inside, not one picture about whats inside THAT is what I was talking about.
I apologize, statement retracted. I completely misunderstood you.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:02 AM
Banned

I apologize, statement retracted. I completely misunderstood you.
Yea, at first you said
http://www.saikoumichi.com

He doesn't have it on his website, but if you email him he can get you fixed up.
so I didn't bother clicking on the link. Second time you posted it I clicked on it and it is on the site (or one very similiar).
Thanks for the info.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:55 AM
TECH Addict

so I didn't bother clicking on the link. Second time you posted it I clicked on it and it is on the site (or one very similiar).
Thanks for the info.
He has the DC3, just not the exact port configuration I'm running. No problem on the info.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boy and I thought the AMW I had was the cat's meow, this looks good as I have the same problem of oil pushing OUT the valve cover to the TB. Especially since my baffles are gone (to accomodate a rocker arm setup). Only see it when road racing but it's enough to completely cover my throttle blade.

Quick Reply: Oil in the intake but not from the pcv valve line