Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hookercat back + Headers = Too Loud?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hookercat back + Headers = Too Loud?

Hey All,

Currently I have a hooker catback, slp lid, and fast toys ram air. I'm looking for a performance upgrade. I think the next logical step (correct me if i'm wrong) would be to go headers, but I'm worried that the sound might be insane.

Going from stock catback to Hooker catback was a nice change even though I think it still could be louder. It gets a little annoying going around 35-40mph cause there's a LITTLE bit of 3rd gear drone (yes i'm on an A4).

So the question is.. Will getting a set of headers really make things alot louder?

Second question is... Is there another logical performance upgrade (more power) that I can do that doesnt really involve making the car extrememly loud? I'd love to do the whole cam thing, but everyone tells me i NEED headers to dissapate the heat before going cam.. is that true?

Thanks!
Paul

ps: Is ther anyone in the south jersey area (i'm in audubon) who has a hooker / header combo? I'd love to stop over and listen to the way it sounds!
Old 12-19-2007, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LT's are a nice upgrade and I don't think they make that much louder unless you have a built motor, but they do change how the car sounds lot more attitude I have LT's no cats and GMMG, GMMG doesn't have that drone sound love them. But don't get me wrong my car is loud but it doesn't sound like a wide open big block. I think a nice compromise would be a FAST intake worth about 15-20hp on stock motor.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:17 PM
Teching In

The Intake - that 15-20hp gain applies to which years? I have a 2000 z28, i think 2001 is when they changed to the ls2 intake... (sorry if my facts are off lol)
Old 12-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Teching In

PERFECT Example!

I saw a thread about a guy who has hooker exhaust with LT's, cats, and a cam...

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/832176-hooker-exhaust-clip.html

In my opinion that sounds really untame, raspy, tinny, clicky, poppy, etc.. Is it the LT's that make it sound like that? I'm looking for a deep throaty sound more so then a motor cycle sound..

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2007, 12:23 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This pertains to your headers/Hooker catback question:

I never ran the Hooker catback with the stock exhaust manifolds and cats, but I did run it with Kooks LT headers and their catted y-pipe. It was far and away MUCH quieter than the dual exhaust setup I have now with bullet mufflers and no cats, run all the way out the back.

Under cruising conditions, it was very quiet...too quiet for my liking actually. At WOT, it was pretty loud, but certainly not obnoxious.

Headers will change the sound quite a bit (the exhaust should sound deeper), but with a Hooker catback behind them, the sound will still be pretty tame.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:48 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z28Bern
PERFECT Example!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832176

In my opinion that sounds really untame, raspy, tinny, clicky, poppy, etc.. Is it the LT's that make it sound like that? I'm looking for a deep throaty sound more so then a motor cycle sound..

Thanks!
That's my car, and I think it sounds a little better in person, but that is the same for all exhaust really. I do get compliments on it on a regular basis.

Try checking out this guys vids:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-external-engine/831585-sound-clips-my-td-s.html

It's a true duel system, so I don't know how set you are in keeping your current catback.
Old 12-19-2007, 01:27 PM
12 Second Club

LOL, raspy & Hooker dont usually go in the same sentence. I absolutely love my Hooker set-up. I refuse to change my exhaust. I have ran it since my motor was bone stock & it only gets better with more mods.

Internet sound clips will never capture the real exhaust note. It might be close but every exhaust will sound different in the real world. I prefer the Hooker sound to ALOT of the other options out there. Plus if you ever need to try & be quiet around the police, its very easy to do with the Hooker exhaust even with LT's. I dont notice ANY interior drone & once you start gettin fairly modded, it gets a little deeper.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Resident

PERFECT Example!

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=832176

Thanks!
I added a few more if you want to check that thread again and see what you think.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe hooker is one of the quietest exhaust systems and with cats I doubt you will have to worry about it being too loud.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:39 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the quick help! One last question while i got ya here....

I didnt feel any noticable improvements putting the catback on, nor did i putting the lid on, or the cai... Should putting the headers on create more of a improvement then the other two things I did? I'd really love to open up on the throttle and think "Wow! Money well spent!"

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by Z28Bern; 12-19-2007 at 02:40 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-2007, 02:58 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys for the quick help! One last question while i got ya here....

I didnt feel any noticable improvements putting the catback on, nor did i putting the lid on, or the cai... Should putting the headers on create more of a improvement then the other two things I did? I'd really love to open up on the throttle and think "Wow! Money well spent!"

Thanks
Paul
Yes. A catback is going to give you nothing as far as performance all by itself. The lid will do a little. But of all the ture bolt-ons, headers will give you the biggest gain. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get a tune after you do the headers to get the most out of them.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

Yea man, you'll feel more from the LT's. Some people say they notice a difference with a cat-back but i think thats their imagination goin into overdrive, LOL. Same with a lid.

The mods you'll really feel & know was money well spent are LT's & ORY or duals, intake manifold swap, cam, heads, ported TB, gears, those type of mods. The others compliment them but are hardly noticeable.
Old 12-19-2007, 03:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks again!

Last edited by Z28Bern; 12-19-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:08 PM
12 Second Club

Yes you can.
Old 12-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

I finally got a chance to listen to the sound clip you posted a link to above (now that I'm home), and your concerns about that clip have more to do with the fact that his car is cammed than anything else. A cam will usually make the exhaust sound a little more tinny and clicky and poppy as you had mentioned...a car with a stock cam will sound much smoother in comparison.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 PM
Tech Resident

Hey All,

Currently I have a hooker catback, slp lid, and fast toys ram air. I'm looking for a performance upgrade. I think the next logical step (correct me if i'm wrong) would be to go headers, but I'm worried that the sound might be insane.

Going from stock catback to Hooker catback was a nice change even though I think it still could be louder. It gets a little annoying going around 35-40mph cause there's a LITTLE bit of 3rd gear drone (yes i'm on an A4).

So the question is.. Will getting a set of headers really make things alot louder?

Second question is... Is there another logical performance upgrade (more power) that I can do that doesnt really involve making the car extrememly loud? I'd love to do the whole cam thing, but everyone tells me i NEED headers to dissapate the heat before going cam.. is that true?

Thanks!
Paul

ps: Is ther anyone in the south jersey area (i'm in audubon) who has a hooker / header combo? I'd love to stop over and listen to the way it sounds!
Where in NJ do you live? If you're local, you can hear my car. Of course, it's LT's running into ultra highflow cats and into a dumped cutout, so it should be nothing you're looking for

BTW, headers to make the exhaust sound more tinny. After my headers, my car is both deeper and higher pitched. I know, it doesn't sound like it makes a lot of sense, but it expands the frequency of sounds you hear. Headers expand the range of frequencies so you hear both lower frequencies AND higher frequencies. It's a VERY different sound than stock manifolds. My car sounds NOTHING AT ALL like it used to. It's a completely different animal.

EDIT - Nvm, I see you posted your location. You're a good hour from my house. I live near Hammonton, NJ, which is about 15-20 mins from Atco Raceway.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:17 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I've heard the hooker with lt's and it sounded pretty mellow. It had a deep agressive sound and this was in person.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

Any car with cats is going to be somewhat quite with headers. The hooker system being quite as it is will be ok. The good thing about a quite cat back, and installing headers is that you get a good muscle car sound. But truly if you are THAT worried about loudness, you shouldnt have bought a V-8 car.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:58 PM
Teching In

Pntbll309 - I understand what you're saying but thats kinda a stereotypical thing to say... To assume that everyone who owns a V8 wants loud. Thats like saying everyone who owns a honda civic wants quiet.. And we all have heard some pretty obnoxious 4 cylinder civics. Just saying that not all people have the same preferences. I for one am looking for performance upgrades for my own personal enjoyment while driving, not to be loud and have everyone else hear what I am driving..

Just my two cents..
Old 12-19-2007, 08:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's my LTs and Hooker. Quiet and tame until you get on it.

http://ledvault.armorysound.com/Brian/idle.mpg

http://lsx.streetfire.net/player.asp...C-C9DC4FB361B7