Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird start after Porting Tb

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Weird start after Porting Tb

I came down to see my dad who had surgery and was bored. I got tired of trying to find someone who would P&P my TB for a reasonable price, so I half *** ported the MF and I don't know if the **** came out right. I didn't do any other mods because well I didn't find the right up very helpful. Anyways, I bought a TB from someone and was going to have that one P&P and then swap it out and sell mine to someone else. Well, I used the dremel, got rid of the "lip", sanded it down with 60 grid and 400 grid sandpaper I found in my dad's shed. I'm swapping parts and I go and strip the Hex screw on the IAC Valve. Well I did everything. Beat it, vise gripped it, tried to just drill it out but nothing, POS. So I go buy another one. ******* thing cost $100. I probably needed it anyways at 172,XXX miles. It doesn't come with new screws, POS. Well I put everything back together, after driving ALL over ******* Laredo to find this MF. I go start it and it starts revving by it self past 3000 RPMs. I shut the engine. I go restart it and its hanging around 1100-1200 RPMs. I kill it again. Smoke a ******* cigarette. Start it again and its fine. Idles at 700-800 RPMs. Has this happen to anyone else? Was it the new IAC valve readjusting. Could it be the MAF itself? I saw one of the resistors was loose. It actually the **** fell off. Could have been just dirty. It was pretty dirty. I haven't driven it yet. I'm kinda nervous I did something wrong. I did not port past the blade or anywhere near the blade. Anybody? I appreciate your advise. Thanks-
Old 12-19-2007, 11:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the IAC could be off if you did the bump stop or its just re-learning
Old 12-19-2007, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Nope, no Bump Stop mod here. Hopefully it just relearned. Do they all do that? What exactly does it do? Nobody at the parts store Knew.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

well you cant rule out a vaccum leak somewhere, but when the IAC relearns itself it has to find its idle, so the rpms will start off high and work its way down
Old 12-19-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It worried me because it started just revved up and was going til I shut it off. I didn't want it to hurt the car. Hopefully that was it. Thanks for responding so quickly.
Old 12-20-2007, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

my car did something similar it was idling really high and i come to find out that it was the idle screw on the throttle body that was in to high so i would check the idle screw on the throttle body but it could be your IAC too but the idle screw adjustment solved my problem
Old 12-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Staging Lane

another thing is the blade if the blade in the throttle body is not centered right in the throttle body then it will stick open and idle high
Old 12-21-2007, 01:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Medic/Z28
I came down to see my dad who had surgery and was bored. I got tired of trying to find someone who would P&P my TB for a reasonable price, so I half *** ported the MF and I don't know if the **** came out right. I didn't do any other mods because well I didn't find the right up very helpful. Anyways, I bought a TB from someone and was going to have that one P&P and then swap it out and sell mine to someone else. Well, I used the dremel, got rid of the "lip", sanded it down with 60 grid and 400 grid sandpaper I found in my dad's shed. I'm swapping parts and I go and strip the Hex screw on the IAC Valve. Well I did everything. Beat it, vise gripped it, tried to just drill it out but nothing, POS. So I go buy another one. ******* thing cost $100. I probably needed it anyways at 172,XXX miles. It doesn't come with new screws, POS. Well I put everything back together, after driving ALL over ******* Laredo to find this MF. I go start it and it starts revving by it self past 3000 RPMs. I shut the engine. I go restart it and its hanging around 1100-1200 RPMs. I kill it again. Smoke a ******* cigarette. Start it again and its fine. Idles at 700-800 RPMs. Has this happen to anyone else? Was it the new IAC valve readjusting. Could it be the MAF itself? I saw one of the resistors was loose. It actually the **** fell off. Could have been just dirty. It was pretty dirty. I haven't driven it yet. I'm kinda nervous I did something wrong. I did not port past the blade or anywhere near the blade. Anybody? I appreciate your advise. Thanks-
New Era ports throttle bodies for $80 shipped.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Jetlag - Yes, thank-you. They were porting them for $65 earlier this year. It was a sale they had. They use to do them for less than $80. I recently contacted them.

Smokingfastws6 - Well I checked the screws on it and hope it takes care of it. It started doing again the next day. It revs really in every gear. I didn't touch the blade or bumpstop. Even though it was not done by a pro, do you think I gained any improvement. I don't feel a difference. I did get rid of the lip. I don't know. I have to go back home to work a 48. I'll see how it does on the road. There aren't any highways to hit around here unless you're headed out of town. I'll keep in touch.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is your TPS sensor jammed?
Old 12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hmmm, I don't know. I'll check right know before I hit the road.
Old 12-22-2007, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well after looking at everything I hit the road. I noticed the oil pressure now sits below 60PSI. It used to sit at above 60PSI at idle and hit 72-76 PSI. Now it sits at a hair below 60 PSI and 70-72 PSI when driving. So thats better. Wish I could get it to sit where it was before I changed out the broken OPSU when I did my intake. (Around 40) .... You think the spring on the throttle could get weak? I've driven 200 miles and it feels good now. I'm not sure if I ported it right. Guess I'll never know but the bitch runs good. Not sure if its the actual porting I did or the fact that I cleaned the air filter which was extremely dirty. How do you fellas clean the hay/crap off your radiators? Mine was dirty. I spray washed it with water but didn't do a great job.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

hay??
Your spring should be ok,,,as long as yuou didnt go hog wild in the blade area when removeing the hump back there, you should be cool. here's a nice pic of one showing the front lip removed ...

I had the same weird idle issues after doing my own PNPTB,,did it for the first 2 or 3 starts, but went away farily quickly,,i dont know that if it was relearning something or what. Sorry to hear that your TB project didnt turn out as planned.

Last edited by Bad Blue WS6; 12-24-2007 at 07:35 AM.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Restricted User

probably just your IAC resetting.
Old 12-26-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok last up date then we can let this thread die. Its working fine now. Frees great. Guess it did help after all. Thanks to all that gave your valuable input.