Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

welding the y-pipe?..help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 02:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default welding the y-pipe?..help?

hey ..so we just fnished installing my lt headers tonight..took us about 8 hours but we ran into a problem..i bought my cat-back last month thinking i wasnt going to get headers for awhile ..and i had it welded..bad mistake.. i couldnt put my off road y pipe cause i couldnt take off the stock one ..so tomorrow morning im going to the muffler shop to get my y pipe welded but im confused about something....im only suppose to weld the y-pipe to the cat back right? and just clamp the headers to the ypipe?..or have the whole y-pipe welded? because i heard welding to your headers is not okay incase i ever run into any problems or have to to take it out or something..can someone please help me out..any input would be appreciated ....sorry if its a tupid question but i rather ask than make a stupid mistake ....and i had to drive open headers to my house..thankfully it wasnt that far..but the muffler shop is about 3 miles away
Old 12-21-2007, 03:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Snowman2K1
hey ..so we just fnished installing my lt headers tonight..took us about 8 hours but we ran into a problem..i bought my cat-back last month thinking i wasnt going to get headers for awhile ..and i had it welded..bad mistake.. i couldnt put my off road y pipe cause i couldnt take off the stock one ..so tomorrow morning im going to the muffler shop to get my y pipe welded but im confused about something....im only suppose to weld the y-pipe to the cat back right? and just clamp the headers to the ypipe?..or have the whole y-pipe welded? because i heard welding to your headers is not okay incase i ever run into any problems or have to to take it out or something..can someone please help me out..any input would be appreciated ....sorry if its a tupid question but i rather ask than make a stupid mistake ....and i had to drive open headers to my house..thankfully it wasnt that far..but the muffler shop is about 3 miles away
DO NOT WELD THE Y-PIPE TO THE HEADERS!!!111!!!!!ONEONEONE!!!

Haha.
Old 12-21-2007, 03:49 AM
On The Tree

^..thanks so definitely dont weld the y pipe to the headers..thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2007, 09:46 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you cant just clamp the y pipe to the catback?
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

^ i prefer welding..from my experience and my other friends who always had exhaust leakes its just beter to weld it...im going right now in 15 minutes..im only going to tell him to weld the y pipe to the cat back and just clamp it by the headers
Old 12-21-2007, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you should not have any leaks i used a clamp on mine and there is no leaks
Old 12-21-2007, 04:55 PM
TECH Resident

I've used Walker band clamps (lap-joint) and have had no leak problems.
Old 12-21-2007, 05:13 PM
On The Tree

^ i went earlier ..had clamps put on the y pipe and headers and just welded it to the catback..so far i like my exhaust set up..anyways thanks for the help
Old 12-21-2007, 07:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had my whole system welded by a proffessional.....NOOOOOO LEAKS....no big deal...wanta change anything..wouldn't do it myself anyway....