Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C.A.I vs Stock ram air, vs aftermarket ram air

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 08:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default C.A.I vs Stock ram air, vs aftermarket ram air

Im and completely lost on this. Is it really that much better to get a cai or aftermarket ram air? Or should i just buy a lid for my ss hood and call it a day? Also when you install a cai do you loss the function of the ss hood?
Old 12-26-2007, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

i think you gonna get a lot of votes for lid....
Old 12-26-2007, 08:42 PM
Launching!

well i see the slp has a high flow lid and a cai. Do you give up the fucntional hood with this kit?
Old 12-26-2007, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shdybrady1988
well i see the slp has a high flow lid and a cai. Do you give up the fucntional hood with this kit?
no but they say if you seal off the ram air hood(on camaro SS's) and just use the cai, they say car runs better. just what i heard and thats why slp include the blockoff strip
Old 12-27-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Leave the hood alone, get a lid, forget the SLP CAI. Putting
it on my car raised IAT readings. The hood path is cooler
than stainless ducting an inch off the radiator. Maybe a
plastic duct is less of a problem but if you live in the South
you aren't going to like air from an inch off the pavement
in the summer, neither. If you've got a regular hood, get a lid
and seal off the nose space from the engine compartment,
take a steak knife to the foam that obstructs the "nostrils"
in the Camaro bumper and let breathe that way. The nose
pocket is pretty cool air as long as the plastic divider panels
are intact and air is let in unobstructed. Not ducted, but free
path cold air is fine. Ram air is a myth on the street but cold
air is good.
Old 12-27-2007, 10:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think everyone would agree with me that you should get a lid, i have the fast toys ram air which is like the slp ram air. the lid made a good difference, and the fast toys ram air made a very good difference, i understand where jimmy blue is coming from in what he is saying, but it performed much better than the factory hood every could. i vote for a lid of your choice and the fast toys ram air if you want more power.
Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 PM
Launching!

ok so fast toys or slp lid?
Old 12-27-2007, 05:53 PM
Launching!

is there anyone that have BG ram air kit or sell anything like it anywhere?
Old 12-27-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

start with a lid
Old 12-27-2007, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Do both the lid and FTRA. Do a search for the FTRA its been discussed plenty.
Old 12-27-2007, 09:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NHRArox
i think everyone would agree with me that you should get a lid, i have the fast toys ram air which is like the slp ram air. the lid made a good difference, and the fast toys ram air made a very good difference, i understand where jimmy blue is coming from in what he is saying, but it performed much better than the factory hood every could. i vote for a lid of your choice and the fast toys ram air if you want more power.
go with a lid and ftra or ssra...you iats might be raised when you are not moving but as soon as you move there is no way that the air under the hood is cooler than fresh air coming in from under the car...i have to disagree with jimmy here...i have done tests with autotap and after the car is in motion the iats are identical to the air temps outside the car...the best way to get cold fresh air into the car is from below with a ftra or ssra...through the hood is not the best option...ftra has been proven to gain around 10hp or drop a tenth at the track...the option is up to you but i know my custom ram air intake added at least 1.5-2mph to my times over stock...

also ram air is not a myth it is there but really really small...at around 100-110 mph with proper sealing a ram air can see around 0.1 psi increase...also helps with the motors vacuum it creats when it sucks air in...reduces the suck in a way
Old 12-27-2007, 10:16 PM
FormerVendor

Jimmyblue tried the SLP CAI which is not a ram air kit. It draws air from half way up the radiator instead of pulling it off the lower air dam like the FTRA. Your IATS will definitely go down with the FTRA installed compared to stock, an SS hood etc.

Ram Air it not a myth but takes very high speed to build significant positive pressure about atmospheric. However, you see Volumetric Efficiency increases from ram air well below those speeds. Check out the article at www.installuniversity.com

Those increases also yield better fuel economy (5-7% on average).

You can use our FTRA with any aftermarket lid or with our new 85mm air lid (which can be used with the stock MAF using an adapter we have available).

Cheers!
Old 12-27-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Regular

FTRA all the way. When I sealed and debaffled my hood(ws6) the car sounded awful. Standing in front of the car the intake swooshing was way loud. So loud it over powered the exhaust. Plus I had to cover the air filter every time I went to the car wash. I just bought the ftra and I'm gonna make the car a bottom breather. Either way the car will get sufficient airflow. This was just a personal prefference on my part. I also want to add that Fast Toys has great customer service and answered all my questions promtly.

Last edited by ramairroughneck; 12-27-2007 at 10:42 PM.
Old 12-28-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

big gulp
Old 12-28-2007, 02:36 AM
TECH Resident

+1 ftra and mti lid....or for ws6 jaam and a mti lid
Old 12-30-2007, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In my past experience, the FTRA (I'm in Florida) caused my car to severely overheat in traffic and on long trips driving at about 80+ mph. Not only did it pull hot air from the pavement, but, it also was blocking air crossflow through the radiator. Now, with a fully functional ram air hood and taller ram air airbox, the car stays very cool and I feel a power difference at higher speeds. Even after removing the lower air dam, the car still stays cool mainly IMHO because (1) cooler air is not blocked by the FTRA from flowing through the radiator and (2) cooler air coming in from up top. I'm with JimmyBlue because of my experience with both types of ram air and also because JimmyBlue has proven he knows his **** ... time-and-time again.
Old 12-30-2007, 02:36 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairroughneck
FTRA all the way. When I sealed and debaffled my hood(ws6) the car sounded awful. Standing in front of the car the intake swooshing was way loud. So loud it over powered the exhaust.

With hood scoop air ....
(1) cooler air is not blocked by the FTRA from flowing through the radiator and (2) cooler air coming in from up top. I'm with JimmyBlue because of my experience with both types of ram air and also because JimmyBlue has proven he knows his **** ... time-and-time again.
That's because jimmy's comments are usually based on sound science ... Keeping your ECT's down is important, as well as keeping your IAT's down.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yeah, that's pretty much what I was stating, however, you'd have to quote my entire paragraph because it states the current functional ram air feels better due to the de-installation of the FTRA and the current installation of functional ram air ... directly pulling in cooler air from up top. After de-installing the FTRA kit, the radiator was not not restricted from cross-flowing air through the radiator. These type 'ram air' systems are known to cause overheating in many cases, especially in the South where the air from the pavement is very hot. Even up north in the summertime, I'd still want cooler air passing accross the MAF wires and IAT sensor, coming into my motor ... anyone can do a search and find overheating has occured using the FTRA-type kits ... many, many times.

Not just speaking only of the FTRA kit, but, any kit of this design which blocks air form cross-flowing through the radiator and pulls hotter air from just above the pavement.

I guess this would be in the top 10 for 'subjects which were beat to death on LS1Tech.'

Last edited by JEB99TA; 12-31-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JEB99TA
... because JimmyBlue has proven he knows his **** ... time-and-time again.
Well he's a little off this time along with a few other who have posted. The aftermarket ram air kits don't sit on the radiator, its the AC condenser. Which barely gets more than warm. Even on the hottest of days.

If you have a WS6 or comparable hood, then you may get similar results from a kit that seals the hood and the airbox, but for the rest of the world a ram air kit is the way to go.

And, uh, ram air is a myth on the street? While you're definitely not creating enough air pressure to force it into the engine (as a blower would), you are creating a high air pressure area inside the airbox. Which helps to ease the strain on the engine try to suck air in. Similar to the way a less restrictive air filter works. You saying that those don't exist either? If so, then somebody needs to call japan and tell all the sport bike manufactures that they've been doing it all wrong for the last 15 years on their purpose built race machines, since ram air is just a myth.

Jon
Old 12-31-2007, 09:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JonCR96Z

If you have a WS6 or comparable hood, then you may get similar results from a kit that seals the hood and the airbox, but for the rest of the world a ram air kit is the way to go.

And, uh, ram air is a myth on the street? all the sport bike manufactures that they've been doing it all wrong for the last 15 years on their purpose built race machines, since ram air is just a myth.

Jon
Yup you are right i have read several articles that show before and after tests with ram air and at around 100mph it does produce a positive pressure of around 0.1 psi...

Quick Reply: C.A.I vs Stock ram air, vs aftermarket ram air