Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLP headers or Hooker headers or Jet hot headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 07:47 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default SLP headers or Hooker headers or Jet hot headers

Hey what's going on guys, I need a little help. What headers are better? I am trying to figure out which headers have a better coating on them and which headers are better over all. Can somebody let me know, I am going to be buying these within the next day or two. Thanks for the help.

Tony
Old 07-01-2003, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Default Re: SLP headers or Hooker headers or Jet hot headers

Hooker or Jet-Hot.
Old 07-01-2003, 08:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a quick breakdown on the three.
SLP - Make less power than other longtubes
- Hang down low under the car
- More Expensive
- Made from stainless and is also coated
(but it is a high carbon content stainless so it will still rust if the coating comes off)
- Not a great idea for lowered cars

Hooker - Make more power than SLP
- Tuck up under car nicely (good for a lowered car)
- Less expensive
- Made from mild steel and can be had coated or uncoated.

Jet-Hot- Basically the same header as the Hooker but the collectors were rotated.
- Also made from a thicker gauge steel
- Can only be bought coated
- Coated header is cheaper than the coated Hooker or the SLP.
- Will make the same power as the Hooker.

Now do a search and you will find more info than you ever imagined on this subject.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:40 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks guys for all of the help. I just didn't want to go out and spend all of the money and have a crappy product especially since I am going to be lowering my car. I would have been in a big mess if I would have did that. Thanks again guys!
Old 07-01-2003, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Don't know where you heard that hookers are better than SLP. Hooker caries a standard design, while SLP was designed specifically for this car. It was designed to give the highest performance gains by being capable of actually sucking the exhaust out of the cmbustion chamber resulting in high horsepower. The collector is designed specifically for increased torque while not creating too much back pressure. Hookers have very poor craftsmanship, however, they do not create a ground clearance issue like the SLPs, which is about 2" drivrs side 1.5" passenger. I recommend that you go with the www.quicktimeperformance.com headers for lowered car, and get the Y-pipe with the cut outs, also not one bit of ground clearance is lost. The SLPs are stainless steel, and I have never heard of stainless steel rusting, hence he name stainless steel. SLP headers are coated using a Jet-Hot coating, the same used on the Jet-Hot headers . The non-rear wheel engine gain should be 35-45hp and 50-60lb/ft for the SLPs and I have heard for multiple owners that Hookers don't come even close. Of the 4 people I know who once had Hooker LTs, 3 went with SLPs, they are all quite satisfied, and 1 went with the QTP LTs, he said simply, "Get Them!". All of my facts came directly from personal experience, costumer service, manufacturer's web site, and or a tech help set up by the manufacturer.
Old 07-01-2003, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Hey red9z26, at least look at the Quick time performance ones. www.quicktimeperformance.com
Old 07-01-2003, 10:00 AM
11 Second Club

I did, those are real sweet, but it doesn't look like they are a coated header, and I figure if I am going to spend like $1500 for headers, y-pipe and QTP cutouts then the headers should at least be coated, where as I can get everything with the Hookers or Jet-hots for like $1000. $500 is alot of extra money to spend, you know. Plus I need the headers to be non-emission. What do you think?
Old 07-01-2003, 10:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I run coated Hooker LT's, ORY, and Hooker catback and the sound and performance is amazing. It dyno'd 390 RWHP Cam only (Baby comp cam) car throught the catback and traps 115 MPH in the 1/4.

The price and performance are great. I think I paid around 1100ish from Thunder. Don't believe everything you read about how much power a performance part is going to give you from a vendor, let the results speak for themselves.

Cheers.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:24 AM
11 Second Club

DO NOT GET HOOKERS. Other than that, I think that you can get the QTP headers coated, but I can not stress enough, don't get the Hookers. They have off set welds, and look like they were made in 10 min. The QTP Headers are non-emission headers when the electronic cidouts are installed in place of the cad. converters. I prsonally am going to get the QTP headers because I was going to get the cutouts anyways so what the hell, I was also getting headers too so what the hell. If you go to the Jet-Hot site, if you get your headers coated by Jet-Hot the will pay 40% of the headers, don't know if they cover the QTP.
Old 07-01-2003, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have Hooker Lt's w/ory and I have no complaints about them. The only thing I would suggest is get rid of that loudmouth because it will be way too loud!
Old 07-01-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

Have you given a look/call to Kooks ?
Old 07-01-2003, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know anyone who has seen a gain of 35-45hp and 50-60tq from SLP headers. I think that's the most outlandish claim on the planet. I've helped install 4 sets and none of the cars after being dynoed picked up more than 5 hp if they picked up anything at all. All cars lost a considerable amount of torque down low which is no surprise. but the gain up top wasn't justified.
I just pulled mine off to get something different because ground clearance is a joke.
QTP's look sweet but if you want them on your car before you retire or die, I've heard you should look elsewhere. Kooks are supposed to be awesome and I've heard a lot of good things about the Thunder Racing headers. I also heard the hookers were good too.
Old 07-01-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd get the hookers or the Kooks (they made awesome mustang headers). Qtp's are nice, by the time you actually get them will be about when the F-bodies come back about 2006-2007 lol. The hookers bolt right in, and have NO ground clearance problems, and it all just works perfectly together.

PS: the welds on my coated hookers are perfect!
Old 07-01-2003, 11:45 AM
TECH Regular

I disagree with CamaroSS. I believe the collector on SLP LT's is the weak spot. The entire collector from primary to exit is just over 3 inches long. I think anyone that has been around muscle cars for any length of time knows that a nice transition and longer collector increases torque.

Now for vendor's claims on power. Think 'Lawyer Mode' when reading this stuff. Phrases like 'Up to' and 'Depending on your application' are left to interpretaion. If you were comparing stock manifolds/SLP Lt's on a 427CID LS1 then yeah, you may get 45hp out of them. But be realistic and just pick what fits your needs best.

BTW I have SLP Long tubes because when I bought my headers that was pretty much the only choice I could find. They are undergoing surgery right now to address some of their pitfalls. Hopefully it is a postive change but we shall see

Josh
Old 07-01-2003, 11:53 AM
TECH Addict

I made 25hp and 23ft-lb from installing my Slp LT and ORP from before and after dynos at MTI. I did not even do any tuning for those numbers. I think they are one of the best headers out there, and their coating is lasting too.
Old 07-01-2003, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

As you can see in my sig I have the hooker headers and ory. I have no problems with them and would recommend them to anyone that wants to save money.

On the other hand, when the time comes to buy an exhaust, get the hooker muffler(Granted if you buy the hooker headers). I think it sounds great. I still regret the day that I opted for a loudmouth when I should've bought the hooker catback.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:00 PM
11 Second Club

I guess you all can't read, I said NOT REAR WHEEL GAINS. The LS1 stock does come with 325hp at the crank, rear wheel is a different story. At the rear wheels you could have anywhere between 300hp-307hp. Where did Ramair346 get the 5 rwhp claim from? What we are talking about is not shortie headers, which are a complete waste of money, we are talking about long tube headers. If your claim was true, why the hell would anyone get long tubes, and spend $1,000 for a mere 5 rwhp. The reason I am so against Hooker headers is because the four or five or so that I have come in contact with were not too good. I have seen nice ones, some have great LTs from Hooker, but I have no good experiences in real life with them. Hooker is one of the most trusted names in motorsports, and I apologize for my bashing comments about the Hooker LTs. I sould have referenced this earlier but forgot too. I think that for the money, Hooker LTs are great, but the question as to if they are the best for he LS1 and LS6 is something I cannot answer. I personally would get the Hookers if people with a good set could show me some of their pictures, and read good reviews. But at this point in time I cannot recommend them, butI can say that two of my friends did not like theres, and another one hated them. Yes, QTP is very expensive, especially for 5 rwhp , but they incorporate things someone who races theres and drives it back home would want. So if your one of those people, than they are for you. Sorry if I offended any Hooker owners.
Old 07-01-2003, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Quote "I personally would get the Hookers if people with a good set could show me some of their pictures, and read good reviews. "

Simply scroll up for the non-hearsay good reviews on the hookers!

PS, I drive my car to the track and race it all the time, my hookers function exactly how I expected them to

Hooker
Old 07-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

And why would I buy QTP's when they aren't even coated. Thats just basic. And I just heard they are gonna raise the price like another $200 bucks. Or maybe they say that to everyone to get them to buy now. I wouldn't buy QTP.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:33 PM
11 Second Club

I was saying, if you want cut-outs and you drive you car to and from the track, they are the way to go. They realy aren't coated!!!!!!!! That sucks, I take back my comments before, Quick Time just needs to stick with cut-outs.