Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Yes another !air question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2008, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes another !air question

I am ordering longtubes in the next few days. There are no emission tubes on them. Do people actually check to see if you have the air system hooked up? Also, will I notice anything different if I take the air system out like a ses light or certain noises disappearing?
Old 01-03-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

they dont check emissions where i live(south georgia) but i've heard other places do, so i'd figure out what your area's laws are before taking it out. and your AIR system makes some noise when your cars warming up, but barly noticable, but that wont be there anymore. and my SES light came on a little while after i took my AIR out, but i'm getting the code tuned out when i get it dyno tuned anyway, so idc
Old 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool, that's exactly what I needed. I live in NC and I don't know if they check that stuff.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I left NC just before the emissions rules changed - they were going to reading for any codes (OBDII check) only if I remember correctly. Removing secondary air will throw codes, and so will no cats unless you get sims or have them turned off also. If your air pump is noisey on cold starts that will disappear after removing it. Someone from NC that's had a recent inspection will chime in.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok i forgot to mention that i will be keeping my cats on the car. I'm gettin the high flow versions though. I can deal with the air system going away but I think it's a federal crime for not having cats.
Old 01-03-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

oooo yea, the fines for no cats are steep
Old 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dutinsss
oooo yea, the fines for no cats are steep
Really how do they find out? Now is there a performance increase when removing air? I want to make my car faster, and i think im getting pacesetters and ORY, but if i have no cats i mine as well get rid of air? im going to need a tune either way right? would it cost more if i had them remove more codes? thanks just wondering.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

The performance increase for removing AIR is minimal. It does clean up the engine bay with it gone though. I'd ditch it and get the codes tuned out if I were you.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i removed air and all the egr tubing out of mine the first week i had it......yes it makes the engine bay a lot cleaner....
ory is the way to go though.....i am fortunate enough that it isnt checked in my state...i would be pissed if i had to put cats back on
Old 01-03-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cough cough pm me ive got a place for you to go
Old 01-03-2008, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tainted
cough cough pm me ive got a place for you to go
cough cough, bout to send him the XS route? cough cough haha
Old 01-03-2008, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol now that you mention it that also...(sent him somewhere to get an inspection)

Link in sig, best SS headers for a budget build!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

haha, i second the XS headers, i ordered a set not too long ago, just waiting for them to come in.
Old 01-03-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by pitbull14218
Really how do they find out? Now is there a performance increase when removing air? I want to make my car faster, and i think im getting pacesetters and ORY, but if i have no cats i mine as well get rid of air? im going to need a tune either way right? would it cost more if i had them remove more codes? thanks just wondering.
theres no noticable performace increase to removing AIR, the point of it is to warm the cats up quicker on cold starts so they operate faster and better, so if you go ORY, it has no use. and the only reason i would add cats would be if they checked emmisions where i live, or if your exhaust is very raspy with LT's, such as a LM1, GMMG, etc, where some ppl say they sound better with cats because they take out some of the rasp. and even then, i'd probably put a bullet-style muffler in the I-pipe rather than adding cats. and you dont necessarily need a tune, but its recommended, and i wouldnt think it would cost much more for them to remove the codes while they're tuning it either.
p.s. what i said about adding cats to make certain exhaust's sound better is just my opinion, you might like it better without cats.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I want cats for the rasp, the legal issue, and to make the gas smell go away without them. If anybody has a high flow stainless set, let me know.