Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running the K&N kit?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 10:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone running the K&N kit?

Ive seen the kit and like the design, its something different then the lids. Just wondering if anyone is running one and your thoughts on it? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2003, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone running the K&N kit?

I got mine about a month ago and couldn't be happier. I had a direct flow lid and the car pulls much harder now with the fipk. I got mine for $259+ shipping. PM me if you wanna know where I got it from for so cheap.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:17 AM
Launching!

The only negative thing about the fipk is you have higher IAT's therefore make less power than you would with a lid and FTRA.BTW, I've had both.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

I heard someone who with there Autotap tested the IAT temps with a lid at idle on a hot day and they were over 100 which is about where a fipk is. I went with the fipk because of not worries about leaks like with lids and no cracked lids or having to cutup the stock lower box for the ftra. Sure I would rather have the ftra but then I would have to buy a new lower airbox for when going to the dealer and taking the ftra would be a pain. Much easier taking the fpk off and putting the lid back on, I'm happy with my setup and I'm sure you'll be happy with either a fipk or lid and ftra.
Old 07-08-2003, 11:58 AM
Restricted User

My .02, my friend has had both and I currently have the KN FIPK. Driving around, I notice the same IAT's as he does, and this is not, a swapping thing done hours later. But I believe the IAT's would be a little higher the way the FIPK is made, with hood closed at idle. I modified mine but cutting the area under the FIPK out, much like a FRA. It obviously gets air cuz the bottom of the filter is always needing cleaning. I will be testing mine against the Lid/FTRA combo this week, or weekend.
Actually you shoudl be ablt to get yoru vehicle serviced at a dealer with the KN on, as it has an EO order number. Unless the problem is due to the part installed, the dealer is not to refuse repair under warranty under the Magnuson/Moss Act.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love mine

Very happy with the perfomance of the system and ive been running it for well over a year.. I also got very positive autotap results with it (air temps).. i give it a thumbs up
Old 07-08-2003, 01:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

I too have the K/N FIPK II.
Not only did i notice a difference @ higher rpm's than the lid & filter.
The FIPK is much easier to maintain & you simply cannot beat the look. IMO!
Well worth the $$. BTW i paid around $325.00 for mine.
Old 07-09-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

very clean looking instilation. Does everything in front of the air flow sensor come with the k&n kit?? Your looks fantastic! I am very interested in upgrading my intake system. Any info you could share would be appreciated.
Old 07-09-2003, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks

The FIPK comes with the filter, metal heat shield, smooth bellows (from TB to MAF) and hose from MAF to filter. HOWEVER, the hoses that the FIPK comes with are black.. the red ones were custom made and be gotten through www.bakerprecision.com -- I had the heat shield color matched to the car (comes black) and the hose clamps are aftermarket as well (industrial grade)..

Did that answer your question?
Old 07-09-2003, 02:37 PM
Restricted User

Steve, nice looking ride. I would hate to have mine look like that though. Every time I raced I would be pissed off cleaning, and I race almost every Fri, Sat and some Wed. Sweet attention to detail.