Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat-back vs. catted y

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat-back vs. catted y

I was not planning on doing headers and ORY because I am trying to stay legal to pass safety so I was going to use the money I was going to save into buying a nicer cat-back such as borla, corsa or gmmg. What do you guys think about those cat-backs? What about a catted y pipe? Is it worth it? If so, then I would end up buying Magnaflow and a catted y pipe with some mid lengths or LT's.

OPINIONS PLEASE
Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Go through safety or whatever ....then get LT's + Catted Y if you want to stay semi-legal.....shorties are legal 100%.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by NHRAMAN
Go through safety or whatever ....then get LT's + Catted Y if you want to stay semi-legal.....shorties are legal 100%.
If I went through safety first I might as well get an ORY. Would a catted y with LT's or mid lengths get me through safty? I know technically if the cats are moved from the factory spot then it shouldn't pass so lets say we are dealing with someone who just looks for cats.
Old 01-29-2008, 04:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would get a nice cat back first then worry about getting headers later. The cat back you get will be a deciding factor if you use cats or not because some cat backs can be very raspy without them.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by JScamaro
I would get a nice cat back first then worry about getting headers later. The cat back you get will be a deciding factor if you use cats or not because some cat backs can be very raspy without them.
yes sir! some catbacks NEED a catted y for better sound, others don't.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:26 PM
Staging Lane

Which do you guys prefer then? Corsa, Gmmg or Borla?
Old 01-29-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Borla + ecutout on the plate.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OffspringZ28
Borla + ecutout on the plate.
So Borla adj. with the electronic part to hook up to the adj part of the cat-back? Sorry to sound stupid just want to get it straight.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:16 PM
On The Tree

Stock with an E-cutout sounds like the thing to do to me.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

Corsa sounds good. Borla is very raspy, Magnaflow is to quiet.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:32 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Missouri inspections, but I just passed Maryland emissions test with longtubes and no cats. My car was loud as hell in the building, and the guys woking there didn't care. They just plugged it into the OBD port, saw no codes, and passed me. Just to let you know that in some states you can get away with having those things without getting in trouble.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

GMMG sounds great with cats. Either on stock manifolds and cats and even better on LTs and Cats. +1 for GMMG. ORY on *most* catbacks will have some raspiness to it.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Resident

Either just go with a cat-back or do all of the full exhaust with LTs. From what I hear, mids will not be much of a gain over stock manifolds so don't bother with them. As others have said, cats with LTs are really a preference thing. I went with a catted Y just to control the sound a little more. The cat-back is also personal preference. GMMG is more old school muscle sound, Corsa is more exotic, and Borla is in between. Hope that helps.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:32 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
I don't know about Missouri inspections, but I just passed Maryland emissions test with longtubes and no cats. My car was loud as hell in the building, and the guys woking there didn't care. They just plugged it into the OBD port, saw no codes, and passed me. Just to let you know that in some states you can get away with having those things without getting in trouble.
I can get it turned to where I pass emissions with flying colors its safety I wouldn't pass.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Arctic2002ss
Either just go with a cat-back or do all of the full exhaust with LTs. From what I hear, mids will not be much of a gain over stock manifolds so don't bother with them. As others have said, cats with LTs are really a preference thing. I went with a catted Y just to control the sound a little more. The cat-back is also personal preference. GMMG is more old school muscle sound, Corsa is more exotic, and Borla is in between. Hope that helps.
Yes it does thanks! I pretty much made up my mind but let me know what you guys think I could change my mind!