Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

402 pipe size for duals and single

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 402 pipe size for duals and single

I am going to call around and get some quotes on prices for a shop to put together and install an exhaust system for me. I was wondering, on a 402 w/ 1 3/4th SLP LTs and an SLP ORY what size piping would I need for a true dual setup? What if I just went with a single? I plan on running a cutout(s) but I have to go out the back for my CME to stay on...
Would it be tacky to dump duals under the car and just have them leave the tips on with hangers? I've thought about that a few times, few would be able to tell and those tips would never be dirty. Ideas and opinions welcome..!
Old 01-29-2008, 11:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went dual 3" and that will work for you too. I'm not running any tips at the moment cuz I just ripped my stock exhaust off and had duals dumped. I've also been contemplating having dummy tips sit on the back of my car.
Old 01-30-2008, 01:41 PM
TECH Addict

What mufflers are you running? I had a dynomax bullet on the factory catback with SLP LTs and an ORY and it was ridiculous. I plan on having electric cutouts so I would like something that sounds pretty mean but I'd like to leave the insansity for when the cutouts are open (like when I leave the neighborhood for work at 4:00am...) =)
Old 01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

If I were you, I would do 3" duals. 2.5 duals would work also, but i'd do 3" while youre at it.

Dont run the exhaust through the CME, the CME is only 2.25 and that would ruin your over the axle duals, no matter which size you chose. Also, dumping is alot easier then going over the axle, and not running the exhaust through your tips will keep them clean. I used my CME tips just for looks on my SS. I dont think it's silly at all.

If youre going to do a single exhaust setup, I'd do a flowmaster y merge, into either a 3.5 pipe or a 4" pipe, over the axle and then dumped somewhere in the back, like mine.

Also, I think magnaflow 4x9s would be the best for your duals, they are deep as hell and sound great, but very refined for a performance muffler. And plus, they are straight through so no performance loss whatsoever. The only complaints ive ever heard on them is the arent loud enough (which i disagree with), but the cutouts will def fix that.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:04 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by transamws6_97
dummy tips sit on the back of my car.
dummy tips are a great idea, they lessen the complexity of mating exhaust to them (esp. the CME), they keep cop attention away, and that way your tips will stay clean all the time. Ive done it, and know others who use dummy tips