Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Poly motor mount install question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 07:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Poly motor mount install question.

How many of you had your transmission installed when you went to do motor mounts? And if you did, did you use the transmission as kind of a leverage piece by pushing on it to get your motor to line up? Mine is currently out of the car because im in the middle of swapping transmissions out, and im currently having a problem getting the back of the drivers side mount to line up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, when I installed mine it was a b*tch to get everything to line up. Every piece of leverage i could see was used in getting the engine in the cradle.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well after the second night of messing with it, I have come to he conclusion that the pedastle that holds the clamshell to the frame is bent a little. My dad and i didnt think about it at the time, but when we went to pull the bolt out to separate the two we had to completly disconnect the passengers side mount to get that bolt out. So once i either fix that pedastal or get a new one progress may resume.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

it's a pain to get lined up but you can. just grine the bolts down and hammer them in there
Old 01-30-2008, 11:40 PM
TECH Addict

seems like a bitch cant wait todo this on the car im picking up

BTW what side is usually the bad side I imagine the driver side due to torque?
Old 01-31-2008, 04:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldnt say due to torque, rather due to space constraints just because there is no Fing room to do anything over there hardly
Old 01-31-2008, 05:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Black02SLPSS
I wouldnt say due to torque, rather due to space constraints just because there is no Fing room to do anything over there hardly
was reading my reply my question was retarded lol I ment what motor mount is usually damaged?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think mine is a special case since it was totalled once in its life. The way it got hit suggested to me like the previous owner had pulled out infront of someone so it got a shitload of pressure put on the drivers side. So who knows.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The poly mounts are made to be under a tension...and as a result they are difficult to get them lined up.
A big *** pry bar will be your best friend when getting the second bolt through...I used a 4' pry bar and finally got it in there. Don't even bother with a shorter one...it won't work.
I originally tried to push the trans to the side, but that doesn't work at all.
Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so heres an update. I have finally figured out why my motor mount on the drivers side will not line up with the stand. It seems that the last suprise that my car has in store for me is a screwed up Kmember . Ill post pics up when i get the old kmember out and put a newer one in.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

The little trick that I used was to disconnect the mount from the k-member. Lift the motor up a little. Remove the old mount, put in the poly. Lower it back dow, then try to line the holes back up. Mine was done under the hood and had to use a hammer to get the mount lined back up with the k-member. Made things alot easier putting the 2nd mount in for sure.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok so after replacing the kmember the mounts are finally in! I had an idea which made putting them in much easier. What you will need to do, is support the engine with either a cherry picker or an overhead crane (which is what i used) loosen the engine mount stands but keep the bolts threaded into the kmember and use a 4 foot pry bar to get them aligned then let the motor down. Using that trick it only took 10minutes to get the mounts bolted to the stands. MUCH MUCH easier than trying to leave everything firmly bolted to the cars structure then fighting it with a prybar. Hope this helps anyone who is thinking about doing mounts in the future