Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Top Engine Cleaner???? Little Help Please.

Old 07-09-2003, 06:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Top Engine Cleaner???? Little Help Please.

I wanted to clean the top of the engine, I did a search here but could not find any info, I had read somewhere that GM sells a top engine cleaner, as I can recall there was a kit that you can buy at the dealer for about $45? I went to a dealer today and asked for top engine cleaner and the guy gave me a 15oz can of top engine cleaner but it only cost $5 and comes in a steel can that has a regular screw top on it, how the hell am I supposed to get it into the TB? (no not the can smart *** ) I was expecting some kind of a kit with a hose or coupling but he said that the can was it, just pour it in ?????? Anyone ever clean their car with this stuff? How did you do it?

Thanks
Brian
Old 07-10-2003, 11:51 AM
TECH Resident

Default Re: Top Engine Cleaner???? Little Help Please.

looking directly at the throttle body from in front of hte car, behind it on the intake manifold is a fuel vacuum line on the right side leading to the fuel rails, unplug it carefully and move it out of the way.... now start the car up... attach a plastic or vynal flexible hose to it so its a solid seal, and put the other end in the top end cleaner can... dont suck it all in at once though! the GM tech told me to allow a little at a time and make the can last a couple minutes, and towards the end when its 1/4 full or so just let it suck the rest, then shut the car off for a couple hours... after that just follow the directions
Old 07-10-2003, 12:56 PM
Launching!

When I did this on my truck I used a piece of flexable drier hose on the the TB. You also have uplug the MAF. I just slowly poured it in. It would start to stall, just reach over and give it a little throttle to clear it out. Then when I had about 1/3 bottle left poured rest in faster untill it stalled out. Let is sit for about 1/2 hour. Started it up and it filled the neighboor hood with clouds of white smoke. It took a lnog time for it to quit smoking. Then change the oil afterwards. Also I used Seafoam not the GM cleaner.
Old 07-10-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks Guy's!!!!

Search this Thread