Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with an electrical short issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with an electrical short issue

Im not sure what started this but all of sudden if i was to take a corner hard my car would just turn off and then turn on again really quick. It sometimes would do it 3 to 4 times while turning. When the car turned off EVERYTHING turned off even the radio, my trip was reset. It seemed that turning was making something touch and short the car out. Today i was trying to get out of some snow and i was just gunning it to get out and i caught some bare concrete and naturally it grabbed and shook the car up good and the short issue appeared again but this time it wont start again. Car has absolutely no power, battery is fine, my question is where do i need to look to make sure certain wires are grounded or not touching others. Any help is appreciated! thank you!
Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure the battery tie down is in place and secure?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Start by checking all you fuses. If you dont have a fuse blown its most likely a ground issue. Make sure your battery is secured. A loose battery can touch the positive to a ground. If it is a gorund issue just check all your grounds. Clean the ones that dont appear to be in good shape and make sure all are tight. If you dont have a blown fuse. Find what that particular circuit includes and trace the components located on that cirucit and see what you find. Keep us updated.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Start by cleaning the terminals and grounds, then with the positive cable disconnected, foollow it back to the starter. The other lead on the positive goes to the terminal block near the fuse box and down to the alternator. Check all of these areas for signs of touching/shorting/loose connectors.
Old 02-03-2008, 12:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the power wire that runs from the battery was touching my header and it was all melted. Its pretty bad, ill have to buy that wire that runs from the positive terminal on the battery, doesn't seem to hard to replace. Thanks for you help guys!