Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Differences between ARH and QTP Headers?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 02:40 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differences between ARH and QTP Headers?

This is going on a 2002 Camaro SS M6 convertible. I am looking for the best quality stainless steel header system with catted-Y. Price is not a concern as you get what you pay for and it seems as if the ARH and QTP are closely priced.

I am curious as to the pros and cons of both the ARH and QTP systems.

Also, does anyone have either of these systems on a lowered convertible; and if so how was fitment?

Also, are there any brands that you would rate as better quality then these 2; please feel free to state your case?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:55 PM
On The Tree

from what I've gathered, QTP shows a little bit better gains than ARH but ARH is unbeatable in fitment and especially ypipe design. Im personally going with ARH because I want the best fitting possible.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

AR headers are less expensive, fit great, have an excellent y pipe and the power differences between the two would be minimal.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JScamaro
AR headers are less expensive, fit great, have an excellent y pipe and the power differences between the two would be minimal.
at ws6project.com the QTP's are on sale for $670....there catted Y costs quiet alot though, but all their Y pipes use flowmasters Y
Old 02-05-2008, 03:51 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QTP's are longer, look better and are a lot cheaper.

ARH's have a better y-pipe.

If you're going TD's, I wouldn't even consider ARH. If you want a y-pipe setup and don't want to put the time into getting a custom y-pipe made (which can come out to be considerably cheaper in the end), then you may want to consider ARH because their y-pipe is nicer.

I went with QTP headers because ARH's were brand new to the market at the time and basically no one had any experience with them, and if I had to do it all over again, I'd still go with QTP's. I saved a lot of money going with QTP's, there was no major fitment issues (the oil drain plug had to be removed, but I had over 4,000 miles on the oil anyway and there is intermittent tapping on the steering column shaft upon startup when the engine idles higher and rougher) and the quality is unbeatable. IMO, they're the smartest purchase out there if you want a stainless steel header.

It's important to note I had a custom y-pipe made. Eventually, I'll go TD's, too. The y-pipe is a temp thing.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you are lowered, STAY AWAY from the QTP y-pipe set up, get either Kooks or ARH. Its just a matter of price really- all three are stainless but QTP's y is aluminized and its garbage if your car is lowered- needs too much adjusting- just do a search. Good luck though.

I myself am lowered, and am running Kooks and their Catted-Y. Got good clearance, good gains, and great sound. Its all I care about.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:33 PM
TECH Resident

Why not try Kooks??
Old 02-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by RareBreed0295
Why not try Kooks??
For the same reasons. Kooks are $200 more than QTP, just like ARH, except with Kooks, you don't even get high velocity merge collectors or a true merge in the y-pipe.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
QTP's are longer, look better and are a lot cheaper.

I saved a lot of money going with QTP's, there was no major fitment issues (the oil drain plug had to be removed, but I had over 4,000 miles on the oil anyway and there is intermittent tapping on the steering column shaft upon startup when the engine idles higher and rougher) and the quality is unbeatable. IMO, they're the smartest purchase out there if you want a stainless steel header.

It's important to note I had a custom y-pipe made. Eventually, I'll go TD's, too. The y-pipe is a temp thing.
Not trying to start any chit, but if the quality is unbeatable, why do they intermittently tap your steering column shaft? If I pay the premium for stainless headers, they better not hit anything. I don't have headers on this car yet, so this comment isn't based on what I have. From what I have seen, the ARH y-pipe is the best. I'm sure the power difference between the 2 would be minimal. I'll probaly go with ARH when I put headers on this car.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:06 PM
TECH Resident

Actually i got my Kooks for $640 shipped....cheapest i could find
Old 02-05-2008, 09:16 PM
Tech Resident

Originally Posted by Hardtop
Not trying to start any chit, but if the quality is unbeatable, why do they intermittently tap your steering column shaft? If I pay the premium for stainless headers, they better not hit anything. I don't have headers on this car yet, so this comment isn't based on what I have. From what I have seen, the ARH y-pipe is the best. I'm sure the power difference between the 2 would be minimal. I'll probaly go with ARH when I put headers on this car.
Because of tolerances in the car. QTP's are a longer header than ARH headers, so you can expect more power from a set of QTP's. However, because they're longer, they are going to be a little tougher to install. They tap the steering column on my car because no two F-body's are put together exactly the same and the clearances in the car vary. It's the nature of the beast. The headers are made beautifully - beautifully polished, excellent welds and the best merge collectors in the business.

Any aftermarket part can have a fitment issue. If you don't want to risk it, don't mod your car. Complaints are out there for every brand of header and none of them have a 100% perfect record with fitment and they never will.

And you'd be surprised the kind of power difference between brands of headers. Going from one brand of headers to another can yield serious losses/gains in power depending on which brands you swap from. "All longtubes dyno the same" is the biggest lie ever told on LS1tech, and it's told and awful lot.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I went with QTP'S because of the quality and hp gains. I too have a custom y-pipe and i'm lowered and have no problems.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

its not like your considering anything really cheap, so ill go out on a limb and say youll be happy with shichever one you choose, but ive decided my next set is going ot be QTP.

i love there HVMC design (ARH has a great one too though) and they are about 3/4 the price of ARH.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have QTP's waiting to go on because it is the best for making power on an F-body. Some have had had good luck with the Y and some not so good. They use a flowmaster Y which is one of the better flowing designs out there. Since I am lowered I will cross my fingers fitment won't be an issue. If it is I'll figure something out......
Old 02-05-2008, 09:51 PM
FormerVendor

Maybe I should answer this since I sell both and have installed both.
Price wont be brought up after this, and the only reason I am bringing it up is to correct what someone else posted. ARH headers are more expensive.
Now on with the details.
The QTP header is a stainless and polished header and IMO the best looking header out of the box on the market. They look great.
The ARH header without a doubt fit's better, has a just as nice of a merge but is put together cleaner. The QTP is great but IMO I slightly perfer the ARH collector.
"Y" pipe's again in my oponion is where ARH seperates itself from QTP. ARH is stainless and QTP is aluminized. The ARH "Y" is a work of art fits damn nicely has a beautiful design. The QTP design is top of the line to, but dosen't it quite as well.
All in all we are compairing very very good systems. I think the QTP Y might be capable of a hair more air flow on a nasty combo, but for 99% of the people that wont make a difference. Both products are great, both company's are active on the board and have good customer service. You can't go wrong with either product.

Last edited by MPHmotorsports; 02-05-2008 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

This shows you the quality of the ARH system and the Y pipe design.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between ARH and QTP Headers?-arh-98-02-ls1-system.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
FormerVendor

And one of my favorites of the QTP headers.
Attached Thumbnails Differences between ARH and QTP Headers?-ally-qtp.jpg  
Old 02-05-2008, 10:15 PM
Staging Lane

You cant go wrong with either one of them...I have QTPS on my car and 2 years later they still look cherry
Old 02-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MPHmotorsports
Maybe I should answer this since I sell both and have installed both.
Price wont be brought up after this, and the only reason I am bringing it up is to correct what someone else posted. ARH headers are more expensive.
Now on with the details.
The QTP header is a stainless and polished header and IMO the best looking header out of the box on the market. They look great.
The ARH header without a doubt fit's better, has a just as nice of a merge but is put together cleaner. The QTP is great but IMO I slightly perfer the ARH collector.
"Y" pipe's again in my oponion is where ARH seperates itself from QTP. ARH is stainless and QTP is aluminized. The ARH "Y" is a work of art fits damn nicely has a beautiful design. The QTP design is top of the line to, but dosen't it quite as well.
All in all we are compairing very very good systems. I think the QTP Y might be capable of a hair more air flow on a nasty combo, but for 99% of the people that wont make a difference. Both products are great, both company's are active on the board and have good customer service. You can't go wrong with either product.
Thanks for the response. That is exactly the type of info I was looking for. I have been researching the 2 brands over the past couple of weeks. It seems that most people agree that in header vs header direct comparison that QTP is the best, but only by a fraction. However, it seems as if there are too many people that don't like the fitment or look of the QTP Y-pipe. For me, I am buying a set and looking at the overall picture, so Y-pipe issues are important. Also fitment is a huge issue. I seem to have the kind of luck where if there is anything that can possibly go wrong; it will happen. So I am looking for something simple that I am not going to run into issues with. So, at the moment I am leaning towards ARH.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 PM
FormerVendor

I couldn't blaim you for leaning towards ARH. I sell more QTP header's but more ARH systems if that makes any since. The QTP header is great and cheeper then the ARH header but when it comes to a complete system I perfer the ARH system myself.
Good luck with the rest of your research and when you are ready to buy I have both in stock if you are looking for a vendor to buy from.
Thanks
Jeremy

Quick Reply: Differences between ARH and QTP Headers?