Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

infamous hanging idle

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 10:43 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default infamous hanging idle

have a case of the infamous hanging idle. problems/symptoms are as follows.....
only hangs at 10 mph and over. car is running extreamly rich at idle and lower speeds.

not tune related. it has been profesionally tuned (by 2 different tuners) one with efi live / road-runner.

not throwing any codes.

this is the 2nd motor, 4th intake, 3rd t/b, 2nd set of rails/injectors, 4th tps, 3rd map sensor and 3rd iac used to try and find the problem. nothing that i have replaced has seemed to make a difference. problem started after a h/c swap on the first motor.

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

Last edited by WS6nJAX; 02-06-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:03 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6nJAX
only hangs at 10 mph and over. car is running extreamly rich at idle and lower speeds.

not tune related. it has been profesionally tuned (by 2 different tuners) one with efi live / road-runner.

not throwing any codes.

this is the 2nd motor, 4th intake, 3rd t/b, 2nd set of rails/injectors, 4th tps, 3rd map sensor and 3rd iac used to try and find the problem. nothing that i have replaced has seemed to make a difference. problem started after a h/c swap on the first motor.

What throttle body do you have? Several aftermarket ones are known for this. Also a possible vac leak...If not a vacum leak then it probably is tune related.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Resident

Default HMmmm

Did u drill ur tb blade buy any chance?
Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

not throwing any codes.

Why did you replace all of those parts? Were you just throwing parts at the car to see if one of them fixes it? Also was it tuned after you had the other engine installed? My best guess is a tune problem.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Also what rpm is it hanging at? Maybe the tuner put it in to try to keep vacuum for the brakes???
Old 02-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Restricted User

i had a bbk on the first set-up. i currently have a ptm with my 90/90, but i recently tried putting a stock intake, t/b, rails and injectors back on and the problems still were there. it has all the characteristics of of a vac leak, but the problem has been persistant with all the different pieces and there is no leak.

none of the blades were drilled.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the car was tuned with the BBk then you went to a Fast 90 and now back to stock that is alot of big changes to the way the engine is gonna breath so i am sure ur tune is pretty far off now.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:36 PM
Restricted User

idle hangs around 1600-1800 rpms.

parts were replace to to eliminate possible culprits. the first build was a simple h/c swap and i put a weiand intake on it. the problem seemed to be vac related so i swapped to a ported ls2 intake i picked up from a well know tuner here in florida. even after being tuned the problems were still there.

i had a high miles on the motor, i had a chance to pick-up a newer ls6 short-block, so i went with a complete different set-up (heads, cam, fast intake, everything.....) after the swap the problem was still there. took it have it retuned and the problems still wont go away. even when another tuner used the road-runner the problems still were there.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Restricted User

car has been tuned/retuned for every part installed and tried.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

car is running extreamly rich at idle and lower speeds...... its not tune related.
Sorry but these two statements don't go together. Something is off. Did the tuners remap the VE table? Are you running a MAF? if so did they remap the MAF? Are you runing O2's? Are they functioning properly? Lotsa questions. Start from step 1 on a retune and I bet you'll get it fixed.
Old 02-06-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just because it's been tuned and retuned doesn't mean it's not tune related. If you had to adjust the throttle stop to give it more airflow, did the tuner adjust for this in the "IAC Effective Area" table (EFI Live)? If not it will definately hang just like you describe. There is also an adjustment for moving the throttle stop that has to do with the TPS sensor but I can't remember what it is off the top of my head. And was it dyno tuned only or did they also spend a fair amount of time tuning for driveability?
Old 02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

I know you said it had been tuned but it sounds like a tuning issue. I also think it might be a leak. You said you changed a bunch of parts including the manifold. Are you using the same seals? Check and make sure it is sealing correctly.
Old 02-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 1320 killer
I know you said it had been tuned but it sounds like a tuning issue. I also think it might be a leak. You said you changed a bunch of parts including the manifold. Are you using the same seals? Check and make sure it is sealing correctly.

i have had a good friend who has his own shop and is an excellent tuner try with efi live and road-runner. i have also taken it to 2 of the better/well known tuners here in florida and the issues still exhist. with the first set-up i even took it to the the shop that the guy was tuning at and even they said there was no leak. i have used different seals with each intake. the ls2 and fast both had new seals.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:04 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have had a good friend who has his own shop and is an excellent tuner try with efi live and road-runner. i have also taken it to 2 of the better/well known tuners here in florida and the issues still exhist. with the first set-up i even took it to the the shop that the guy was tuning at and even they said there was no leak. i have used different seals with each intake. the ls2 and fast both had new seals.

If you take a day & drive down & we can't figure it out I won't charge you. You will need to make an appoinment though to make sure we can do it the day you come.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 AM
Launching!

i got the same problem after my ls6 intake install, i tried cleaning the iac to no avail. I guess i'll just live with it.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Apprentice

Same here.... Mine started after the cam install. It drives me crazy, especially when I'm trying to keep the car quiet in town or around cops. I have learned to live with it as it's probably in the tune or just the sensors not responding to the cam. Mine idles down after about 6 or 7 seconds at a stop which tells me it's not a vacuum leak
Old 02-07-2008, 03:50 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 99TransAmLS16Spd
Same here.... Mine started after the cam install. It drives me crazy, especially when I'm trying to keep the car quiet in town or around cops. I have learned to live with it as it's probably in the tune or just the sensors not responding to the cam. Mine idles down after about 6 or 7 seconds at a stop which tells me it's not a vacuum leak
i was thinking mine was/is sensor or electrical related. just kinda wierd that idle is normal at exactly 10 mph and under. 11 mph and over it hangs.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
If you take a day & drive down & we can't figure it out I won't charge you. You will need to make an appoinment though to make sure we can do it the day you come.
Now that is a stand up offer!
Old 02-23-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone needs to find the solution to this. Mine hangs bad. Around 1600-1800rpm with a/c off and 2100rpm with a/c on. I hate it. Even when the car is warmed up, it will stay the same all day long unless I come to a stop for at least like 30 seconds after it's warmed up. It will idle down once I make a full stop and if I wait 30 seconds, then when I start driving again, when I depress the clutch, the idle drops down to where I want it but if the rpms were too high or I'm stopping really quick, it will surge and die sometimes. Of course, once it dies, it's right back to hanging again unless I sit at a stop for 30 seconds. I don't get it!!!

-Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Launching!

it IS the tune!!!!!!

Quick Reply: infamous hanging idle