Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help for SLP long tube headers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 06:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help for SLP long tube headers

I am having severe difficulty installing the passenger side
header. After prying on the trans I still cannot clear either the K member, or the fire wall. Is there some trick that anyone knows to assist. I have tried raising and lowering the trans, but no significant change.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Re: Help for SLP long tube headers

Take the starter out......
Old 07-11-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I installed my SLPs the passenger side was a pain in the #%#. I removed the starter, had a lot of ground clearance (enough for the header to stand upright while under the car), and had a friend pry the tranny towards the driver's side. He had to use a lot of force to give me the clearance I needed to slide the header in. Some people say that the passenger side is not too difficult to install, but that wasn't my experience.

Sorry I couldn't offer you some trick to help you out (just my method of installing the headers).

Good luck!

Jim
Old 07-12-2003, 12:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

We had to loosen up the motor mount bolts in addition to prying on the trans. It sounds like a nightmare and it can be. You need a ton of ground clearance as well as the trans slid over and a bit of extra room with the motor jacked up should get you there.
Old 07-14-2003, 04:01 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

just a little advice on the install bud... i got my slp's in with a little help and the whole process of tear down and install can be done in about 3-4 hours. if you have 2 friends to help it will be cake. what i did was left everything still attatched to the motor underneath ie.....meaning starter/motor mounts.... and i undid the support brace for the tranny(4 bolts?? plus one in the middle??) this may take a little muscle so let the 2 biggest guys outside the car. but with the tranny resting its weight on the floor jack, have one guy pull like hell and the other push on the jack from the opposite side. it was a good couple of inches the everything moved. just remember that the farther back on the tranny that you hold the weight the more leverage will be gained in the push pull. I couldnt believe how easy it was. my slps slid in with atleast 1/4 inch to spare. i went into the thing thinking i was going to have a nightmare of a time getting it all to fit but a little patience paid off. dont force anything and just think it through. also have the car as far off the ground as possible. i used a decent set of jack stands and this allowed me to angle the back of the header towards the ground. good luck with it. let me know if this helped any bud.
Old 07-14-2003, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

When I/we did mine I had to cut the little "cube" off of the block. There was about a 1 inch square "cube" on the side of the block that is just from the mold. After we "hacked" it off the pass side went in fine otherwise there was no way. That damned thing kept getting hung up on the flange. A reciprocating saw (Sawzall) would work wonders.

Let us know how things turn out.
Troy
Old 07-16-2003, 03:17 AM
WOT
TECH Apprentice

so how did things turn out for you?
Old 07-16-2003, 07:41 AM
TECH Apprentice

Apparently he's been stuck under the car for the last few days... still working on 'em?