Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FLP owners in here

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default FLP owners in here

I have a FLP(Race pipes) with a LM and u all know this combination wakes up the dead. Its too loud and raspy and i got a ticket already for being loud. I put the cats back now and i like the way it sounds(not that loud, and no rasp). So I was thinking to add an electric cut out to my FLP(keep the cats), but i dont know where should i put the cut out. For sure i want it before the cats, but there is no space to fit the cut out before the cats. Did any FLP owner did this before?

Also did anyone with an FLP dyno'd with the race pipes and the cats? I just want to know how much i lost with the cats on? Thank you.

Old 07-15-2003, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: FLP owners in here

FLP uses some of the most free flowing cats on the market...long-long ago, when the FLP's were first released, I did a quick dyno swap of the cats/offroads...I can't find my dyno chart from back then, but on my bolt-on car, I lost around 5-6 rwhp w/ the cats....not bad at all.

I agree about the sound of the LM/offroad waking the dead. I had the same setup for a short time, but I just couldn't tolerate it any longer and I traded the LM for the SLP dual/dual. TREMENDOUS difference in sound. With the offroad pipe and dual/dual, it sounded awesome! (and dual/dual is on of the best flowing exhausts on the market)
Old 07-15-2003, 08:31 AM
Teching In

Well I would think the only place you could put it is in the straight section of the Y pipe.I couldn't stand the sound or smell of my FLP's w/o cats.At certain rpm's it sounded real nice but that drone..anyway I gained 11rwhp on the dyno by removing the cats before my heads and intake went on. 98 Z28 Red M6

TR 224/224 565/565/114
FLP stage II heads
LS6 intake
FLP LT's
Bauer TB
FTRA
ASP Pulley
160 stat
Whisper lid/KN
FLP Dyno tuned
SUSPENSION Eibach springs,Hotchkis LCA's,BMR relocation brackets,PHR,STB,Hotchkis sways 36mm front,25mm rear, hotchkis SFC's Wheels Chrome ZR1's 17x9.5,17x11 Nitto DR's 275/40/17,315/35/17
R.I.P.99TA A4 silver (stock wife's car)(totaled-Blonde driver)
Old 07-15-2003, 08:05 PM
Staging Lane

Hey I'm looking to get the FLP or Kooks headers. I have the 345 HP package is my dual dual the same one you are talking about from SLP
Old 07-15-2003, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have the flp lt and when I had mine installed I also bought there cutouts that install where the orp or cat would go I leave those on and when I go to the track the caps come off and your virtually running open headers every once in a while Ill open them up and take a short cruise and wake up the town lots of thumbs up to.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:25 PM
TECH Addict

I agree about the sound of the LM/offroad waking the dead. I had the same setup for a short time, but I just couldn't tolerate it any longer and I traded the LM for the SLP dual/dual. TREMENDOUS difference in sound. With the offroad pipe and dual/dual, it sounded awesome! (and dual/dual is on of the best flowing exhausts on the market)
Do u think u gained some HP with the Dual/Dual exhaust? And do u still have the FLP Y-Pipe with your setup?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

I was also thinking of keeping my FLP with the Race pipes and switch the LM resonator with a Borla muffler to lower the sound. Would that work?

Old 07-15-2003, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

I have the flp lt and when I had mine installed I also bought there cutouts that install where the orp or cat would go I leave those on and when I go to the track the caps come off and your virtually running open headers every once in a while Ill open them up and take a short cruise and wake up the town lots of thumbs up to.
Thats works, but my idea was driving the car with the CATS and having a Cut-out before the CATS when im racing. After looking at some more today i think its impossible to install Cut outs before the CATS. The only thing before the Cats are the collector of the headers and there is no way im messing with that. So i think i should either look for a Dual/Dual exhaust or swap the resonator with a muffler. What do u think guys?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:32 PM
TECH Addict

I traded the LM for the SLP dual/dual. TREMENDOUS difference in sound. With the offroad pipe and dual/dual, it sounded awesome! (and dual/dual is on of the best flowing exhausts on the market)
From where did u buy the Dual/Dual setup?
Old 07-15-2003, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

5-6rwhp or 11rwhp less with the cats will let me switch back to the Race pipes and adjust to the loud noise. I dont want to lose that much from the cats, but i have to pass emissions now since im going to install a cam when i get my two years sticker.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ipicked up 11 hp after opening up the caps over the magnaflow muffler with cats I can leave the cutouts on but closed(no cats)thru the magnaflow and the car is mellow till I jump on the gas so the cops dont even give you a second look.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey I'm looking to get the FLP or Kooks headers. I have the 345 HP package is my dual dual the same one you are talking about from SLP
no, the dual/dual and loudmouth are two different setups

the loudmouth doesn't have a muffler, just a resonator
the loudmouth is very light, while the dual/dual muffler is sort of heavy
the dual/dual is one of the best flowing mufflers out there and is quiet too, but take the cats off and it sounds real good

as far as dyno, my buddy SSable (aka jmanss) dyno better WITH his cats and corsa exahust but this was before his heads/cam
this was an 02 SS