Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

alright.. i cant take it anymore.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 05:20 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alright.. i cant take it anymore.

My car.. has a gremlin. i have no idea WTF is wrong with it and why it does this. i swear it has to be a bad alternator. but, according to the testers its fine. The voltage does this the whole time im driving, it will go up to 14ish volts, then randomly jump down to right around 12. then jump back up, back down, ALLL OVER THE PLACE!!!!

the crazy thing... its been doing this consistently for the last 2.5 years. ive never gotten stranded and its always jumped back up. but now im just sick of it. I also notice if my heater is on it will stop blowing hard when it jumps down in voltage, and my lights will also get noticably dimmer.

Voltage regulator in the alternator?? anybody have ideas?? The car does throw codes for the alternator but it always checks out fine

Old 02-20-2008, 05:21 PM
11 Second Club

btw.. i have a new big cable ran directly from my alternator to my battery because i was sick of the shitty connection on the starter.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:27 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do Vettes use the same type of exciter wire that goes into the top of the alternator? That's how the voltage is regulated on an F-body, and would be the first place I'd look to make sure it wasn't damaged.

Other than that, you could always try a Vato Zone cheapie and see if that helps...in the long run, it might be money well spent just for peace of mind.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Do Vettes use the same type of exciter wire that goes into the top of the alternator? That's how the voltage is regulated on an F-body, and would be the first place I'd look to make sure it wasn't damaged.

Other than that, you could always try a Vato Zone cheapie and see if that helps...in the long run, it might be money well spent just for peace of mind.
phsss i dunnno haha. i never knew how an alternator worked, just figured the little guy spins real fast and pumps out current all the time

vette alternators have a 4 prong plug that goes in the top.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

I have had 2 trans ams, an LT1 and an LS1 and both of em did the same exact thing. I have no idea what causes it.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

the only thing I can think of is the brushes in the alternator but if it hasn't given you problems in the past then I don't know. cuz it would start killing the battery. Does it only do that when it hits high points in the sound level of the stereo? cuz my camaro light dim and I see the meter bouncing but thats because of my system.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a regulator issue. I just fixed the same problem on a sunfire and it was the voltage regulator in the alternator. The alternator worked great except for the fact that the voltage jumped around like crazy.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by LostCauseZ06
phsss i dunnno haha. i never knew how an alternator worked, just figured the little guy spins real fast and pumps out current all the time

vette alternators have a 4 prong plug that goes in the top.
Do all four prongs have a wire? The F-bodies use the same type of weather pack connector, but there is only one wire.

Honestly, I'd probably just pony up and get a new alt.
Old 02-20-2008, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

i hate new alts.... they are all garbage remanufactured crap lol. my buddy jesse bought a brand new GM one because the autozone ones blow.. yeah.. went bad next day and stranded him.. .FROM GM... hahahah

i think it has to be the the regulator, or maybe a bad connection on that weatherpack. btw, it has 4 wires going into it, not just 1.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:03 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Well, you can always go the aftermarket route...my new 200 amp alternator came from Alterstart, and came with 2 year warranty.