Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CATS or Resonator(s)? Also, please help me understand resonators...

Old 02-21-2008, 05:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default CATS or Resonator(s)? Also, please help me understand resonators...

First of all, here's my exhaust... Mac-Midlengths with flanges cut and replaced with v-band clamps, dual 3" into Flowmaster y-pipe, 4" Mufflex into Spintech dual 3" out:

And here's what is sounds like (I have a F13 cam):

http://s64.photobucket.com/albums/h1...t=MVI_0427.flv

It's a LITTLE too loud right now (mainly because of a damn over sensistive truck that's alarm keeps going off getting me in trouble with my apt. manager) and I was wanting to do something that might tame it a little but would ADD to the sound QUALITY in the process...

Should I:

1) Stick two high flow cats on it after the headers on the y-pipe...

2) Stick two resonators on it after the headers on the y-pipe...

3) Stick one 4" resonator on it after the y-pipe...

On the topic of resonators, what is their true function? Any side effects (loss of power)?

Not worried about emissions although getting rid of the burning eyes would be a plus for the cats...

Mainly, I want a deep, throaty and clean sounding exhaust (which I basically have but is a little airy right now)... What should I do and what brand of parts do you recommend?

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess I don't understand why you went Mac's, 3" y-pipe,merge 4" flowmaster collector, and back to 3 spintech"? You are probably losing some power in that you are not creating enough scavenging and EGV.

I would say dump the spintech and get a magnaflow and put a spiral bullet in the I-pipe. Sounds good and is toned down. Listen to the true dual clip in mine. those are spirals and no cats. It is pretty wicked loud though.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by orangeapeel
I guess I don't understand why you went Mac's, 3" y-pipe,merge 4" flowmaster collector, and back to 3 spintech"? You are probably losing some power in that you are not creating enough scavenging and EGV.

I would say dump the spintech and get a magnaflow and put a spiral bullet in the I-pipe. Sounds good and is toned down. Listen to the true dual clip in mine. those are spirals and no cats. It is pretty wicked loud though.
I don't go "back to 3".. The inlet on the Spintech is 4". The DUAL OUTLETS are 3"...

Magnaflow does not make the type of muffler I am using. Only two choices are Spintech or Flowmaster, I went with the only REAL choice.

Besides, on a cam only 1998 with this exhaust flow is NOT an issue...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whats up Mark. I think that you should just either 1. throw a dynomax bulley in the I pipe, or 2. put a couple cats after the headers or both. THe cats will clean up the sound a little and keep the exhaust smell away (but you will get a new smelly cat smell intsead) and the dynomax bullet will tame the cam and both should sound good. Or im going to be getting some TD's made up in august if you want to buy my like new magnaflow exhaust with y pipe for qtp headers (it is a modifed kooks y with cats and can be easly converted back to 4" for you i pipe or keep it like i have and use my magnaflow. I will sell to you for cheap. Thanks
Old 02-21-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Long Beach
Whats up Mark. I think that you should just either 1. throw a dynomax bulley in the I pipe, or 2. put a couple cats after the headers or both. THe cats will clean up the sound a little and keep the exhaust smell away (but you will get a new smelly cat smell intsead) and the dynomax bullet will tame the cam and both should sound good. Or im going to be getting some TD's made up in august if you want to buy my like new magnaflow exhaust with y pipe for qtp headers (it is a modifed kooks y with cats and can be easly converted back to 4" for you i pipe or keep it like i have and use my magnaflow. I will sell to you for cheap. Thanks
Hey Quintin! Well, I like the sound, main thing is this damn truck. I might try cats... You doing anything Saturday morning?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
Hey Quintin! Well, I like the sound, main thing is this damn truck. I might try cats... You doing anything Saturday morning?
Nothing that i can think of. Did you talk to the owner of the truck and ask if he could turn his alarm sensitivy down? Are you thinking about heading out to DD's?
Old 02-21-2008, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mainly, I want a deep, throaty and clean sounding exhaust
You need cats.

You should complain to the manager that the truck owner needs to set his alarm up correctly. I used to do security. A properly set up system should go off if the vehicle is impacted but should not pick up a load stereo or exhaust. His alarm is just as much a menace as your loud exhaust.

P.S. I'd rather head the exhaust than the alarm going off.

Re'

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CATS or Resonator(s)? Also, please help me understand resonators...