Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XS vs QTP/Kooks/ARH

Old 02-21-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default XS vs QTP/Kooks/ARH

I am wanting to go with a stainless header. I searched this topic but it seems that quite a number of people are still undecided as to just how good these XS headers are.

From what I understand they are made from a higher quality stainless steel. 321 as opposed to 304. Also they are polished which no other manufacturer offers besides QTP. The polish looks phenomenal on these things by the way. The weld quality from what all of the owners have said is awesome and to top it off, they are about half the price of ARH and Kooks and about $200 cheaper than QTP. The only thing that I question is the Merge Collector (HVMC). Is this really that big of a deal? Kooks doesn't use this and I cannot remember if ARH does. I know QTP does but are the power differences really substantial?

I guess I don't understand why more people aren't praising these headers more. It almost seems to good to be true....
Old 02-22-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just installed mine. Minor issues, that are not major or consistent based on what I have read. The quality is superb, the welds are beautiful, the physical fitment is perfect. Any deficiencies that you may have and can't overcome are addressed and corrected by the selling sponsor. The price CAN NOT BE TOUCHED. I highly recommend them. I have seen/installed many different headers... all of which were high quality.. these XS headers share the same quality at a fraction of the price.... the choice is your alone. Good luck!!
Old 02-22-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98RedBird
I am wanting to go with a stainless header. I searched this topic but it seems that quite a number of people are still undecided as to just how good these XS headers are.

From what I understand they are made from a higher quality stainless steel. 321 as opposed to 304. Also they are polished which no other manufacturer offers besides QTP. The polish looks phenomenal on these things by the way. The weld quality from what all of the owners have said is awesome and to top it off, they are about half the price of ARH and Kooks and about $200 cheaper than QTP. The only thing that I question is the Merge Collector (HVMC). Is this really that big of a deal? Kooks doesn't use this and I cannot remember if ARH does. I know QTP does but are the power differences really substantial?

I guess I don't understand why more people aren't praising these headers more. It almost seems to good to be true....
I know a person who used the XS and had okay luck. There was a common fitment issue, but that can be worked out. The biggest thing I don't like about them is they aren't one-piece tubes; they are multiple-piece. That may not amount to much of a difference in power, but it's the little stuff that adds up.

As far as the merge collect, I believe Kooks has them as an additional cost option. I've read that merge collectors offer little benefit unless they are tuned to that particular engine combination, therefore, a one-size-fits-all may not be optimal for everyone. ARH offers them, as QTP, as standard. ARH does offer their HVMCs in different sizes, however, unlike QTP. You can also add this option, in different sizes, wth Kooks too.

My whole thing is that I don't believe they are as known a commodity as Kooks and QTP. I am not a metalurgist so don't know how much "better" 321 is to 304, but I'm sure unless you are running a jet engine, you won't notice much. I believe that I'd rather trim my crossmember (QTP) than have to bend a whole header (XS) and the QTP Y-pipe can be a bear. If you want to save as much as possible, and have more assurance about a LT, go QTP and be prepared, if you're using one, to perhaps have their Y-pipe modified. I modified mine and love it now. No problems at all.

Tbyrne has the Hooker stainless for a little more than $500 as a reference, and they are definately more of a know commodity because they've been producing mild-steel LTs for about the longest of anyone. I'd seriously consider them too. I don't know if this is the best price, I just offer an idea. Nothing toward any XS owner, but I'd be more comforable in spending a little more with stainless Hooker LTs than those.

JMHO
Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM
TECH Regular

I have no disagreements at all. I did not have to bend the header at all on my install. I know this isn't the case for everyone. Everything being eqaul... I would without any doubt, purchase a "Standard" rather than an "anomoly". If Kooks were $500, with there reputation and known quality, it's a no-brainer. I do believe that with the sponsor that sells these XS/LPP headers in a very short time, will be one of the standards used to compare other options. This is based on customer support and his dedication to improve his product.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

It would seem that you are correct. It seems like there are a good amount of happy people and every header has had some complaint at one time or another. XS may be the future of affordable, quality stainless LTs.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep! XS here, no problems at all, fit great
Old 02-22-2008, 06:35 PM
11 Second Club

I love mine and would not go another way if I had to redo it. Yes the drivers side header is a little bit of a pain but other than that, they are great! Highly recommended and they make good power just like the other brands. Alot of people say they don't like their y-pipe but I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I think it would be more than good up to 500hp.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got QTP headers a couple months ago.. they look great and fit VERY well... I have very good clearance
Old 02-22-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 68birdls1
I love mine and would not go another way if I had to redo it. Yes the drivers side header is a little bit of a pain but other than that, they are great! Highly recommended and they make good power just like the other brands. Alot of people say they don't like their y-pipe but I don't see anything wrong with it at all. I think it would be more than good up to 500hp.
That's another good point, if you plan on going duals I don't think the ARH can be bought without the y pipe.. That's why I didn't get them
Old 02-22-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

I think I'm going to be going with QTP. If it was a little further in the future and I actually could see some dyno comparisons between the big brands and XS then I would consider it. But I plan on making 450 N/A and 650 or so on the spray so I want proven performance in there. And it's only about $175 more for the QTP's.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

Show me a factual comparison between ANY long tube... let alone a TUNED long tube header..... the simple fact is.. it's only a tube that directs exhaust flow, nothing more... I guess the most efficient system would be a P-40 War Hawk Exhaust manifold. Facts are
1. we do require a defined amount of resistance
2. Too much resistance is a negative.
3. Tuned volume is a plus

This is probably the best discussion I have been involved in since being a member here on LS1 Tech. I appreciate the discussion, and I want to be enlightend by anything that may further our mission of more power by less expense.
Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm glad that I decided to search this first, I was going to start a new thread that was EXACTLY this same thread.

You can buy just the headers from ARH from www.mphparts.com. They are a sponsor here (MPH Motorsports). $830 for a pair.

Are the QTP headers tuned?
Old 03-03-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Resident

I believe they coin themselves as equal-length, but I may be wrong on that. They have HVMCs which is a plus, IMHO, but so do ARH, and Kooks have them as an additional cost option.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Hey guys, I ended up going with the QTP's. They are AWESOME! Yes they are equal length headers, they are polished stainless and have the HVMC's. Can't beat it for the price! Strongly suggest the QTP route! Here's a pic

Old 03-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by koji777
Show me a factual comparison between ANY long tube... let alone a TUNED long tube header..... the simple fact is.. it's only a tube that directs exhaust flow, nothing more... I guess the most efficient system would be a P-40 War Hawk Exhaust manifold. Facts are
1. we do require a defined amount of resistance
2. Too much resistance is a negative.
3. Tuned volume is a plus

This is probably the best discussion I have been involved in since being a member here on LS1 Tech. I appreciate the discussion, and I want to be enlightend by anything that may further our mission of more power by less expense.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/700678-results-qtp-hvmc-vs-pacesetters.html

There's a comparison between Pacesetter and QTP on a moderate H/C car. There's no other changes - just a longtube swap. There's a 9rwhp/7rwtq peak gain with an 18rwhp/30rwtq gain at ~3100 rpms.

If you get your car retuned to compensate for the new longtubes, you'd surely pick up even more. That is a pretty impressive gain for nothing but a longtube swap, especially since the primaries are the same diameter.

There's a lot more to a header than bent pipes. The QTP's are equal length, longer than Pacesetters and have HVMC's. These things, along with the overall design of the headers (some bends will work better than others) obviously add up to quite a big gain. If QTP made the same headers in 1 7/8", they may have picked up even more power on that car.

You asked for proof. There is undeniable proof that all longtubes are not equal. That's a myth. Some are obviously vastly superior to others.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Don't the XS/LPP headers use the same design as the Pacesetters?
Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
TECH Resident

I think they are similar but the Pacesetters have few bends, and to my memory, the less bends the better. I gained 10+ RWHP/RWTQ with a tune going from standard QTPs to their HVMCs in hotter conditions.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:29 PM
FormerVendor

Biggest difference of all, American Racing Headers = 100% U.S. made. This clearly explains the cost difference. Price of U.S. made materials and labor to Chinese.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which headers are made in China? I know Pacesetters are Made in Mexico. That's about it, though.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by A. R. HEADERS
Biggest difference of all, American Racing Headers = 100% U.S. made. This clearly explains the cost difference. Price of U.S. made materials and labor to Chinese.
i like buying american made, especially for my american muscle car

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: XS vs QTP/Kooks/ARH