Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT install

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT install

just a few questions.... Im getting a set of xs headers soon

-does anyone actually pay 30 dollars for o2 extensions..... have any of you guys just bought wire and some shrink wrap and extended yourself?? Confirmed - but which sizes do i need? 2 x 12'', 2 x 24'', 1 of each???

-what spark plugs should i go with and what to gap them at??? Confirmed - bought ngk tr55s

-what size are the stock headers bolts... i want to pick up a ratcheting wrench ahead of time Confirmed - 10mm?

- have you guys had success with reusing the stock header gaskets?? or should i buy new ones

- anyone know where the cheapest place to buy decent band clamps is??

thanks for the help

Last edited by Dskeet6; 02-25-2008 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM
12 Second Club

okay, hopefully I can help you out.

-o2 extensions will be a time saver and I would say buy them. I used some wire to extend them first and spliced everything up and used shrink wrap, but then one of the wires came out of the actual harness so I had to replace the entire sensor. o2 extensions make it a lot easier.

-ngk's or denso iridiums. you dont have to gap them, they come pre-gapped.

-get a 10mm wratchet wrench, it will save your life during the install. I picke done up from sears and since it didnt have a price tag on it the girl gave it to me for 99 cents. you might not have the same luck but I would have paid more for it.

-stock gaskets seem to be in good shape when I took off the manifolds, but pacesetter sent some pretty solid looking copper gaskets and I had already bought some percy's aluminum gaskets for the swap anyhow. Try the stock ones and if they dont work go to autozone or something, they should have the right gaskets in stock for you.

-as for band clamps I am not sure, you might want to check out jegs or something. my exhaust came with band clamps so I didnt need to pick any up. good luck finding a good deal though.

Hope this helped you out and hope it goes smoothly for you. do yourself a favor and go buy a sawzaww if you dont already have one to cut off the y pipe. - Ben
Old 02-24-2008, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

Installed my headers over the last two days and here's my take on your questions:

- I extended my O2 sensors by hand, and finished installing them today. Get the extensions. I will be getting new sensors (C5 version) because they are a bit longer on the Corvettes from what i've heard. If not, I'll buy the extensions and new O2s.

- Denso's

- I would highly suggest a swivel extension and a breaker bar.

- My gaskets turned out fine. just spray them down with parts cleaner and scrub them with a Scotch Brite pad or equivelent to get all the dirt off.

- not sure about the band clamps, sorry.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:28 PM
On The Tree

I spent about an hour splicing O2 wires when I put in my LTs, put them on and thought that I did something wrong, so I bought some extensions. Buy the extensions and don't waste your time. I found mine in the FS section here. I used NGK plugs. They come pre-gapped, but check them anyway. Some of the gaps were off with mine. I forgot what the gap was. I bought new gaskets, but was pissed because the old ones were fine. Just use your old ones. Get SS band clamps at NAPA.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Got a small link in my sig with some basic ****... which was already mentioned here

-J
Old 02-24-2008, 08:07 PM
On The Tree

I highly recomend an air ratchet, a 3 inch extensiion, and 10mm socket if possible. i just did mine yesterday, and man it made the job so much easier. And for taking off the old y-pipe and cats I also reccomend an impact. Didnt even need to spray them down with anything. I would get the o2 extentions. Didnt really like the condition my gaskets were in so i used the one that came with the headers. Good luck.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used Delco platinum plugs...

I don't know about anyone else, but when I got my Hooker SuperComps from Jegs they came with 02 sims in the box and I damn well know I didn't pay for them.

I also bought new GM gaskets through my buddy at a GM dealership for like $18
Old 02-25-2008, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the help guys, anyone know what size o2 extensions i need?
Old 02-25-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

I got 2 24". I think that I could've gotten away with 1 12 and 1 24.

Worst case scenario? You have to zip tie some of it into a small bundle, not exactly splitting the atom.

-J
Old 02-25-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

Band clamp wise, I think the best ones that I have found are the ones that I have pictured below. They are stainless steel and won't crimp your pipes and cause headaches later on if you have to tear the exhaust apart. You can't over tighten them, and they seal great. These are for lap joints (slip fit) They are $8-$9 through Summit Racing. Not the cheapest, but well worth the money.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have a set you can have for $30 shipped. 1x24 and 1x12.